1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

WARNING: Allegations of Audio Glitch With THE ISLAND!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Travis Brashear, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Be aware, I've read posters at DVDTalk and Amazon.com this morning who are accusing the Canadian release of THE ISLAND of featuring only 2.0 stereo audio, despite packaging promising 5.1. No word yet on whether this is also true of U.S. discs, but those of you buying it today may want to keep it in its cellophane until this matter has been adequately researched...

2. Denny_S

Denny_S Stunt Coordinator

I have been reporting this glitch since the 3rd. Dec. on the Canadian vs. U.S. DVDS release thread.

3. henry stobbe

henry stobbe Auditioning

I can confirm this audio "problem" My rental copy has French 5.1 and English 2.0 dolby. I am returning my copy for a different rental. Canadian copy.

Henry

4. David Belden

David Belden Auditioning

I just checked my US copy, and the English track is definitely 5.1

5. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Aha! The first confirmation of a correct track on the U.S. edition...good, we're headed in the right direction. Henry, was your rental U.S. or Canadian?

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    watched it last week.
    if it was 2.0 it was the most amazing 2.0 i ever heard.

U.S. version.

7. henry stobbe

henry stobbe Auditioning

Aha! The first confirmation of a correct track on the U.S. edition...good, we're headed in the right direction. Henry, was your rental U.S. or Canadian?

Mine was Canadian. I just returned it and swapped for The Bad News Bears. I'm sure my wife and I will enjoy.

Henry

8. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Picture had lots of EE.
    Bass was overcooked.

Good movie though.

9. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I guess what bothers me about the Canadian release is that Dreamworks had plenty of time to pull it. The disc has been "available" for weeks apparently. Surely someone who wasn't hearing-impaired in their org watched/listened to it? How can you NOT miss a .1 track in The Island?

I guess they figured most purchasers wouldn't complain. Just been a little too much faulty material released in the last couple of weeks, the "D" orgs come mainly to mind.

Where's that thread from not long ago about the lack of QC in the DVD industry??

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

First, it looks like the Canadian disc is distributed by Universal, so that's who would be responsible. Second, I doubt that this will ever be pulled, as I don't think it's an error. The packaging is in error, probaby, but not the disc. This isn't the first time a Canadian disc has had French 5.1 and English 2.0 for a US English-language film.

DJ

11. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    It's pretty darn rare, usually it's the other way round re language formats. I can't think of one like you said, and wouldn't mind knowing for future "trivia" purposes...

Do you honestly believe it was what was intended? It doesn't make a lick of sense, so I'll call it an error, just my opinion. If it's handled by Uni then (never had a prob with a Dreamworks disc, so didn't know), if it's an error, that is the best news because they often fix them.

It's no big deal to me, I just won't buy the Canadian version, I'll buy the *correct* U.S. version for less money...tough decision.

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

Off-hand, the Canadian release of The Abyss contains French and English 2.0 tracks, while dropping the English 5.1 track from the US release (but still advertising it on the back).

DJ

13. JesseJ

JesseJ Auditioning

This is all over.
    The Canadian cover art accurately describes the English as being 2.0, and French in 5.1.

This is outrageous.
    Unless there is a special edition coming out (which hasnt been mentioned anywhere) then Canadians should boycott this release. WTF is 2.0? It's fine for SDTV. Thats it.

14. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Well Darmin, that is true. But the instance here is 5.1 French with 2.0 English, for an English movie. That's what I haven't seen before. I think...

Anyway, I'm not trying to put you on the spot. I really would like to know. It would be one of those "fine points of idiocy" we Canadians like to toss around when bemoaning a bad release here.

And it's pretty mean of you to bring up The Abyss, BTW.[​IMG]

Edit: JesseJ, what do you mean? I've seen the disc, and it lists only English and French DD 5.1, at least the package around here.

15. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Negative. At least, partially. Two different pressings of this title were available at retail in Canada upon intial release; one for the Quebec market (DD 2.0 English and French), one for everybody else (DD 5.1 English, DD 2.0 French). The packaging accurately reflected the sound formats for each release.
    On topic, the copy of The Island I saw today in my local convenience store here in northern Ontario indicated DD 5.1 in both English and French. Cheers.

DS.

16. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal

[​IMG]

17. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Dave Simpson: oh yeah, I forgot about that. I'm one of the unlucky ones who got an early-distributed version, they were almost all 2.0 only. That and the non-anamorphicity (a word? it is now!) makes that movie, one of my favorites, a sore-point release. That is ongoing, I might add...

18. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I was suprised they released this film in Widescreen only (certainly nothing to complain about, Fullscreen is the devil) given they would like it to appeal to the masses more given its performance.

19. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

This is why I don't even chance it anymore, I order all my DVD's from the US.

20. Matthew Woodley

Exchanged and then refunded my copy of The Island this morning at Best Buy. Tried playing the disc in the store and there is clearly no English 5.1 while the packaging clearly indicates that there is an English and French 5.1 soundtrack.

I will be contacting Universal tomorrow and keep everyone informed of the outcome.

Regards,
    Matt