Warning about Scorpion King $5 dollar coupon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Liu, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Jon_Liu

Jon_Liu Stunt Coordinator

I went to a local Circuit City, Kmart, and Target and neither of the places would accept the internet promo. Granted some locations exclusively might take them but mine didn't. So just give you a heads up on this.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

There are several threads on this subject in the Bargains & Coupons section.
    As I said in that section's Weekly Roundup post, there is no way a store should reject this since it does not come out of their pockets. It is a "form of payment" coupon, that is 100% reimbursed to them direct from Universal Studios.
    Having said that, you will run into jerks in every chain.
    Urge them to ring in the entire group of merchandise, then find a "manufactuer's coupon" button and type in the amount. OR just scan the barcode on the coupon.
    I went to Wal-Mart at 4 this morning when K-Mart didn't have their stock out yet (insomnia, by the way). WM scanned the DVD (WS, natch) and it rang up $14.86. I held up the coupon, she scanned that too. -$5. Total was $9.86 plus the $9.44 copy of Invasion of the Body Snatchers I found there (looking for it for a year!) plus the tax.
    Dropped a card at the Cust. Svc. desk thanking them for being able to buy WS there, and went home happy and got ready for work.
    Hey, dig that crazy latching keepcase on S. King? [​IMG]

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It is a manufacturer's coupon offered directly from the Universal Home Video website, so all stores are supposed to take them if they're going to sell Universal product.

4. Ken Bentley

Ken Bentley Second Unit

well my local k-mart took the coupon with out any probs...

5. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

CC doesn't do coupons so they will need to manually adjust it.

6. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

7. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Circuit City only took it off of the 'Retail' price. So They would take $5 off of their retail price of $19.99 making it $14.99. [​IMG] Should have just went to Kmart in the first place.
    On another note, there were Shelves stacked with the Fullscreen version with the widescreen no where in site. Finally I found one small row that had the widescreen. Apparently this CC got alot more fullscreen copies than widescreen. Another [​IMG]

8. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

The Super K I stopped at first only had full screen. Took coupon and sale paper to local military exchange. Checkout person didn't know what to do with the coupon, so had to call a manager. coupon rang up fine. 9.95, no tax.

9. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Fry's refused to take it. They said that their price of $14.99 was low enough...huh? [​IMG]

10. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

NP for me at Wally World.

Tell the cashiers to scan the bar code on it and it should pop up for you. Thats all this lady did for me and it was np at all.

Greg

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm

12. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I used mine successfully at Best Buy yesterday, but the guy didn’t even attempt to scan it.
    He just manually adjusted the price.
    Once for the K-Mart price match and again for the 5-Bucks.

Shawn S

13. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Had no problem using my coupon at Walmart this morning for the WS version. Total was about 10.80 with tax.

14. David Lambert

It's funny that stores who are used to coupons all the time for all kinds of merchandise - Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Target - are taking this coupon without even blinking. Stores that get coupons on occassion - like Best Buy, who issues their preferred customer coupons - may blink a bit or even stumble, but by and large are taking it. And then the biggest problems are at stores who just aren't used to the coupon mentality at all: Circuit City, Fry's, etc. Anyone try one of these at Sam's or Costco yet? [​IMG]

15. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

It's also worth mentioning that Canadians can't take part in this promo, as the coupon is, sadly, valid only in the US.

16. johnbr

johnbr Stunt Coordinator

Ya I allso so that us in canada get the short end of it.

17. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

Costco wouldnt take mine. only take their own coupons.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm

19. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

You guys were supposed to lift up the rock I live under and tell me about this coupon BEFORE I bought the dvd. Come on guys get with the program![​IMG]
    Matt
    GO TWINS!!!
    1 Down 2 To go!

20. David Lambert

But Malcolm, it goes back to what you already said. 100% of the $5 is reimbursed by Universal...plus they get the handling fee, so they actually make a profit taking the coupons! [​IMG]
    Costco has taken "manufacturer's coupons" before in the form of instant savings on Disney or Fox titles. So what makes this different? [​IMG]