What's new

Warning about PS2 Guncom and HiDef Direct view (tube) TVs (1 Viewer)

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
I just got a friend with a Sony 32 XBR400 the PS2 Time Crisis 2 with the Guncom gun.

The back of the box warns about plasma, lcd and projection TVs but not HiDef CRT tvs.

Well, we tried to get it to work and when we couldn't we looked it up on the web.

The gun is incompatible with this set and most HiDef tube sets.

So check the web site before buying. I'm hoping Sam Goody will let me return it.

Peter

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have heard if you put the Sony sets (at least the direct view) in 960i DRC mode that the gun games work.

I have not verified this.

DarrinH

Second Unit
Holy cow, I really want this game and I have a Sony XBR400 36". Someone let us know here if it will work if you use one of the non-high def inputs on the TV! Possibly you have to change the video display in the menu to interlaced?

Please post more info.

Where on the site does it talk about the game being incompatable?

I dont even have a PS2 yet in case anyone was wondering.

This was going to be a big reason for me to get the system.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This is where Namco claims that the GunCon does not work with the XBR400 and XBR450:
http://www.namco.com/support/guncon.html
...this info looks like it may be user-submitted.
Now, here, is our esteemed member 'Camp', stating that his XBR450 does work with a GunCon (2?):
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&threadid=223
These mixed results, and the fact that you can change doubler settings on these sets (480p/960i), make me suspect that the issue is related to this setting.

DarrinH

Second Unit
Anyone know if I am stating the proper setting change? Is it the one at the bottom of the video section in the menu or is it a service menu setting?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't think that you should have to use the service menu.

Just try all 3: 960i, 480p, and cinemotion (actually, don't bother with cinemotion).

Maybe it just works with the Guncon2 and new software.

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
On the XBR400, we played with the diffrent modes available on the 1st user menu, with no positive results.

You have to use the composite input with the gun, it connects on the composite cable and the usb connectors.

Peter

DarrinH

Second Unit
I am confused here, so it works if you use a composite input only for the gun?

I have no idea how this gun hooks up to the TV and the hardware.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I'm afraid I can't shed any light on my "success". I do have an XBR400 and I did play TimeCrisis 2 on it. The guy who owned the Guncon and the game hooked it up...I think I was getting a beer.

If we ever do it again I'll be sure to take notes. I wasn't aware of any technical issues involved.

DarrinH

Second Unit
Camp in the other thread you stated you had an XBR450 which is the new model. I have last years model XBR400. Which one did the game work on? Did you have to use an AV adapter with the hook up?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I did some experimenting...PSX with Guncon would not work with an HS30 (4:3 HDTV) in either 960i, 480p, or Cinemotion (3:2 pulldown) modes. Gun will calibrate vertically but not horizontally (due to the high refresh rate). Brightness is not an issue.

PS2 Guncon2 games are supposedly compatible with many HDTVs (the games were coded to provide for scan doublers). I don't have a PS2, can't try at this time.

DarrinH

Second Unit
Ok

Anyone else? I really need to know if this works for sure before I go and make the purchase?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks