What's new

Warning about klipsch speakers (1 Viewer)

Mark R. Ososkie

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to warn those who own, or plan to own, a pair of klipsch speakers with the copper colored woofers in them. They dent VERY EASILY. I just BARELY nicked one with my fingernail by accident, and it left a permanent dent in one of the speakers. I'll be contacting klipsch and giving them an earful tommorow, but be warned, dont take the covers off for *anything*. :angry: :angry:
/edit: i think im gonna cry. :frowning:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What good is giving Klipsch an earful going to do? It was your fingernail, and they design speakers, not toys, not to mention it was an accident. Do you complain to a tire company when you get a nail in your tire and get a flat? It has nothing to do with them.
On the bright side, unless you put a huge crease in the driver, it probably won't have any negative impact soundwise. And don't go sticking your fingers into the horns to see if the tweeters are strong enough...:D

Mark R. Ososkie

Stunt Coordinator
From the klipsch website

"Although many people will choose to show off the copper-colored Cerametallic™ cones,.."

Right. Show off the cones. The same cones that will dent if anything comes in contact with them. The same cones that are PAPER thin. The same cones in my RF-5's. It makes me wonder why they would make the cones so prone to damage even by the slightest touch. And please, i was not treating it like a toy, and its very rude of you to suggest that. There is a small 1/2" crease, AND the woofer is creased, and im not really too sure what to do..

Not offering ANY type of protection besides grills, and then suggesting that you take them off is a complete joke.

oh, ever hear of run-flat tires?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

Any speaker can be damaged. Just because the cone is thin has nothing to do with anything. Any metallic cone is going to be more prone to damage than a heavy paper cone. You won't find heavy paper cones in most mass market products. You have to go with $150-$200+ drivers from Scan-Speak to get that level of quality. Also, you bought a high efficiency speaker (relatively anyway). Lighter, and therefore thinner, cones are usually used for higher efficiency speakers.

The grills are there for a reason. Protection. Take the grill off of any speaker and that protection is gone. My niece punched in the domes of my tweeters and one of my woofers because I don't use grills at all. Guess what, I'm not going to call up Vifa and raise hell with them because they don't build drivers impervious to curious fingers.

BTW, I don't understand the whole run flat tire thing. Get a nail in the side wall and you still have to buy a new tire. The only benefit is they can get you off the interstate or away from a bad part of town.

Brian

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Shops in CA sell tires that have warranties and if there is ever a flat from misuse or nails the shop will replace it at no charge.
Anyways, I highly doubt the dent will affect sound whatsoever. Just take a few breaths and live with the cosmetic flaw until you upgrade those speakers to something a bit more real. :D
edit: I was joking about the "real" comment

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE FOUND ONE OF THEIR TWEETERS PUSHED IN AFTER A PARTY?
CLEARLY THE MNFGRS FAULT!!!!

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
My friend *kicked* his RB-5 woofer by accident (he has the speaker near the end of his bed). Luckily, he was able to take the driver out and flatten out the crease in the cone. I'm sure it has no effect on the sound. Klipsch says a replacement woofer costs $70, which is a total ripoff. So be careful.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I noticed the same things when I first saw the RF-3's in the showroom at Good Guys. They had the things around Mitsubishis biggest screened HDTV and the grills were off, probably because they look so good that way. I went to have a closer look and saw that there were all sorts of indentations and creases in the things. I guess a lot of people probably reached right up to run their fingers across the beautiful looking sub cones and that caused it. For this reason, I never keep the grills off at home, especially with all the animals and kids I have running around. My guess is that it won't affect the sound. If it did, given the ease of cosmetically altering their appearance, there'd probably be a ton of threads on this matter and likely a revolt.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Off thread topic message to Matt.
Matt,
I just wanted to compliment you on your intelligent observations thoughout all of the threads. I was wondering if you'd like to get together personally to discuss them further.
Signed,
An older man ;)

A

Anthony_Gomez

I never keep the grills off at home,
ALL of my speakers are and always will be grill free :)
..then again, I don't have kids and don't plan to:)
...also, Utopia's, Hiquphons, and G-12's don't dent unless you abuse them . They are covered under the fingernail warrenty :D
PE was carrying klipsch drivers for a while at a good price IIRC. you can always replace the driver if it bugs you that much.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Shops in CA sell tires that have warranties and if there is ever a flat from misuse or nails the shop will replace it at no charge.
I don't know about misuse, but basically every shop I've dealt with will not replace them if YOU did something wrong. There are guidelines in the warranty that state what you must do for the warranty to be honored. Not to mention, around here, you PAY for that warranty.

I get all my tires from Tirerack.com and save a ton over what most shops charge for the same damn tires, and I get them mounted for 1/3 the price. Few shops will price match Tirerack any longer.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
As everyone else has stated no cone is completely prone
from damage. Metal Alloy cones tend to be much thinner than
paper simply because metal is heavier and if they made them
as thick as an equivalant paper cone the speakers transient
response would suffer drasticaly.
I really don't understand the paper vs. alloy argument as
I am not a real big fan of paper but that's just me.. Paper
is less prone to damage though because they generaly make
a good paper cone thicker (notice I said good...) Pioneer
paper cones are paper thin! :)
As far as Run Flat tires are concerned.. THEY SUCK..
I have them on my 00 Corvette (Goodyear F1 EMT) and when
they are bald which won't be much longer (I have 10K on the
odomenter and they are about shot) I will replace them with
a normal high performance tire.. Probably a Bridgestone Potenza
RE730 or something from BFG or maybe Yokohama.. GoodYear
tires in general are garbage and thier run flat's are even
worse than usual!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks