WARNING about Christiane F. DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Todorov, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Imagine my befuddlement when I put on Christiane F., a German language movie yesterday, only to discover that there are NO English subtitles (or any other subtitles, for what it’s worth). There is an English dub track, which can only be described as laughably, horrendously bad.
    I have never seen Christiane F. (but have wanted to for 20+ years) and don’t speak German, so I had no choice but to give the DVD to a German friend.
    What was going through the “minds” of the Image people? Whatever bad things we may say about Warners or MGM, Image with its dubious commitment to OAR, nonexistent anamorphic support and releasing un-subtitled foreign language films with no warning of any kind on the packaging, takes the Madacy award for WORST DVD STUDIO. Image: go back to making laser disks and leave the DVDs to studios who know what they are doing.
    Ted -- with steam still coming out of his ears...

2. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Damn. I wanted to buy this but have always hated that crappy English dub! Do you know if the DVD supports TV captions?
    Mark

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I made the big mistake of buying this DVD. Boy was I upset to discover that there were no subtitles. I called Image to find out if I had a defective disc but found out that this was the way it was released and that they have not heard about any other complaints. I suggest that everyone should call Image to complain about this incredibly stupid decision.
    [Edited last by Jay E on August 20, 2001 at 10:49 AM]

4. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Never mind the subtitles did they leave all the sex scenes in?

5. Paul Brookfield

Paul Brookfield Auditioning

There is a solution... if you have the right equipment and are prepared to accept a non-OAR DVD.
    Get the UK R2 release by Second Sight. The OAR of this film as I understand it is 1.85:1. The Christiane F. DVD looks like 1.66:1, and it isn't anamorphic.
    It has the German original language only with optional English subtitles.
    If you can play PAL titles and have a player which can play R2 discs, you can get it from Blackstar.
    A review for the UK DVD (I live in the UK) is at http://www.dvdtimes.org.uk/reviews/r...ristianef.html

6. Ted Todorov

Jay,
    I'd love to complain to Image -- can you give us the contact info?
    Yes, I can watch R2 PAL disks, I have a multistandard TV. However, the non OAR thing is distressing -- the (allegedly) 1.75:1 Image disk was noticeably cropped -- letters were missing from the credits. 1.66:1 would be worse.
    You can't win I guess -- better start learning German [​IMG] It's at times like these that I wish I had my own DVD company -- really, how hard can it be to put out an OAR, anamorphic disk with the original language soundtrack and optional English subtitles? No extras are needed, just give us the movie in watchable form, PLEASE!
    Ted
    [Edited last by Ted Todorov on August 20, 2001 at 09:27 PM]

7. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Ted, if 1,75:1 was cropped, how can 1,66:1 be worse? This ratio actually opens up the matte a bit, thus no longer cropping letters in the credits. As this is a european film, chances are 1,66:1 is actually OAR, and it was over-matted to 1,85:1 in the States.
    I have R2 disc from Second Sight, and although it is not anamorphic, it is a good transfer. If you like the movie, i definitely recommend this disc!
    ------------------
    /Mikael
    No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

8. Paul Brookfield

Paul Brookfield Auditioning

Oh yeah.
    1.66:1 may be the OAR.
    The transfer is actually pretty good. It's non-anamorphic, has minimal extras.
    The extras are just a card gallery and production notes, but they aren't bad.
    Get it if you can.

9. Ted Todorov

10. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Ted,
    The # for Image is 818-407-9100.
    Regretably, I do not have a set-up for region 2 DVDs, although I'm seriously thinking about it now.
    Again, I suggest that everyone should call Image to complain about this DVD. You never know, if they get enough complaints they may decide to re-issue this.