Warning! 3-year-olds May Be Hazardous!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Julie K, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

This is just incredible - a 3 year old sent two women to the hospital, one with a fractured skull.
    The mother's response of "Yeah, he does that to people sometimes. I don't really know what to do about it." is proof we're doomed as a species.

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Remember the old saying, "Hell hath no fury, like a cranky Three year old" or something to that effect [​IMG] Three year olds can be terrors at the best of times, this one definitely seems to be a couple of dozen notches higher up the scale.
    Kenneth

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's not a three year old on a temper tauntrum that scares me. It's the mother's response.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, you're right. I mean, has she ever heard of the word discipline? This is an awful little news item.

5. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I don't know. They both seem pretty bad. Clearly the Mother's poor discipline of her child has made a terror. However, even really bad 3 year olds don't generally use trucks to bludgeon people repeatedly. I definitely feel sorry for the teachers and other students when "Damien" starts school [​IMG]
    Kenneth

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I think I'll send a copy of this article to my friends who tell me they're planning to have kids, or worse, to those who just had one... [​IMG]
    KJP

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I think it's only a matter of time until "Damien" ends up killing or severely injuring someone. It's a pity that the victims didn't press charges. Without some more effective parenting going on, they won't be the last ones.
    (And I'm so happy I have none of these little monsters myself [​IMG] )

8. Kevin_Hassan

Kevin_Hassan Agent

Reading that story makes me think that babysitters are really underpaid.

9. BrettB

BrettB Producer

How legit is that website? It seems incomprehensible to me that the little monster could torment 2 grown women for 30 minutes!

10. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

11. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Interesting. We have friends (not much longer??) whose 18 month old is somewhat like this. Apparently, no is not in her mommy's vocabulary.[​IMG]
    I won't ever tolerate that from my children (1st one is 9 months). How utterly stupid do you have to be to let it get to that? Then again, how stupid do you have to be to allow it to continue for 30 minutes, even if it's not your child?
    I'm fairly certain that, in that situation, I would have been arrested for "subduing" him.
    Todd

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I was sitting in the lobby of a bank once, waiting to get some documents notarized, when a woman came in with her two toddlers. She proceeded to the teller line, while her two little monsters tore up the place - running around, spilling paper all over, chasing each other between chairs and people, nearly tripping several. Lots of people exchanged looks, but nobody said a word. The mother waited her turn ten feet away, oblivious. Finally one of them knocked over one of those brass stanchions that hold the red velvet ropes used for controlling traffic flow. This heavy object was about to fall right into the lap/belly of the very pregnant woman sitting next to me when I caught it. Then I caught the perpetraor by the arm and loudly asked, "Do these two belong to anybody?"

The mother, embarassed, walked over and collected her two little monsters, then took her place in line again, after shooting me a look that she fancied withering. As she left there was some muted applause from the lobby group, but the folks closer to her suddenly became deeply interested in the carpet design.

As she was leaving the woman walked up to where I was sitting and said, "Well, I hope you never have children!" I replied, "I wish you hadn't."

If I ever do have children, I hope I have the good sense to be a responsible parent to them.

Regards,

Joe

13. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

If I had of done that I woulda had my ass kicked. The mother is an irresponsible parent, the child's a little demon, and the women are dumbasses for not pprotecting themselves from a 3 year old. Kids like this need a good spanking(not to be confused with child abuse, which I don't believe in). I was a bratty little kid sometimes, and I learned my lesson with spankings.

14. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

See, the problem with spankings, and this isn't philosophical or moral, it's a direct observation of my oldest daughter, is that she then believed that spanking was a legitmate way for HER to 'correct' behaviour in others that she didn't approve of. She was three at the time, and is now four. Turns five in September.

So when she started smacking the other JKers around, or her little sister, and we asked 'why would you do that?' she replied 'I wanted them to stop what they were doing.' 'Oh,' we'd reply. 'What makes you think that's an acceptable way to stop somebody from doing something?' 'Well,' she'd reply, 'you do it to me.'

That having been said, I've had my run-ins with undisciplined children. One day at the park, some bigger kid, six or seven or so, was swearing a blue streak at me daughter, and throwing rocks at her, while his mother chatted away with somebody else a few feet away. I approached her, and asked her to stop her child from assaulting and swearing at mine. Her reply? "Boys will be boys. He gets it from watching South Park. What can you do?" and turned back to her conversation.

Another is that there's a retarded little boy, at least I assume he's retarded, if only slightly, living near us. One day I have my one year old on the swings, and he's running around. He'll do things like grab a swing beside her, and whip it at her, or throw sand and rocks, or try to 'run the gauntlet' through the swinging kids. I damn near took my belt off to leash him to something, one day.

15. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

The really sad thing is; if one of the abused would have laid a hand on the child, they might have gone to jail.

If one of my kids did that .... no it wouldn't happen. I would have grabbed them on the first swing. Even better, I didn't let the kids take toys into stores.

Why would you let a child take a large toy into a store. Oh yea, your a weak parent and let the child do anything he or she wants.

I'll be she's never spanked that child.

16. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I don't think there is anything wrong with a spanking if you start off diciplining your children at a young age. (NO I don't tolerate child abuse) I believe any truly loving parent who is concerned with their child's well being knows the difference between a spanking and a beating.
    No matter what method of dicipline you chose ie. slap on the hand or having them stand in the corner and take a time out, it needs to be started when they are young so they know what kind of behaviour is deemed acceptable to you and not acceptable to you.
    I think in my lifetime I might have got 2 spankings, I only remember one of them. My father never really had to issue out spankings because we "knew" if we were doing something wrong that he would be introuble and that pretty much kept us from being deviant. My sister...now that I think about this never got a spanking. My dad just had a way of giving us "the look" and we knew to knock it off right away.
    Some parents use the "time out" method of punishment and that's all cool and good but one can only wonder as a child gets older and realizes that nothings actually making them do a time out when they finally say NO MOM NO DAD I will NOT go to my room, and alas, what's to stop them from not going to their room as they have never had a spanking? Nothing really. Sounds to me like that child who did so much damage should have been told a long time ago that that behaviour is NOT tolerated. His mom should get a spanking for not teaching him that earlier on in his young life. I believe the story to be legit for the same reasons Julie K listed one of the main ones being fear from the victims that they could go to jail for stopping such an act from a 3 year old. Parents are afraid to correct their children in this day and age and rightfully so and yet we all wonder why kids are so out of control these days. I worry about this child and what he might do later on down the line when he is older since he is obviously NOT being taught that his actions are not acceptable. You don't know how many times I've seen children in shopping malls just out of the blue say Fu*k you mom I hate you etc. bla bla bla without not so much as a eyelash being bat by the mother (she did look very sad and embarrased though) and really what's she supposed to do...send her kid to his room when they get home..yeah right that'll work.[​IMG]

17. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

I think the problem may lie in disciplining the child in public. Many people have heard the horror stories of people calling CPS on a parent who swatted their child's rear end.
    I'm not afraid to spank my children. They're generally well behaved in public too. I hope(and feel) I'm able to successfully deal with whatever they may grow into next.
    And I don't even watch South Park so no way in heck they do. [​IMG]

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Having undergone the parenting thing twice, all I can say is that it's not for me. At all. Call me cold or what have you, I don't cotton to kids. At all, at all. And this wretched little story demonstrates why for me.

Reread Julie's most recent post. She hit the issue(s) squarely on the nail. Her arguments are airtight. Logic prevails.

19. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

20. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I have a three year old boy and agree that at times they can be terrors, but I have a few random observations:

1. Just last week my wife and I attended an all day parenting class, and we were both amazed at how some parents refuse to take control of the situation. Even parents that care enough to spend all day in such a class disagree widely as to how to handle children like this.

2. Good kids can have bad days. Last week our babysitter gave our three year old a can of regular coke late in the day. That night we went to a store and he was in rare form.

3. Some bad kids get better. We have some friends whose 3 year old son was a terror and no matter what they did he didn't get any better. They could lock him in his room all day, but that would only make things worse. Everybody saw these parents as very, very "bad", but they really did all that they could and all of their other children were great. Furtunately, the boy is now 5 and behaves like an angel - far from the serial killer that everybody predicted.

4. You cannot control your kids 100% no matter what some of you smarter people might think. As a parent, you have to plan for this, but it's tough to get right. For example, we try to do the boring stuff (like waiting in bank lines) early in the day and then follow it with something fun. But sometimes things come up and it's immposiible to plan your entire day around your kids, and bored kids will tend to misbehave.

5. Controlling kids in public is HARD! You can't yell at them (or even raise your voice) because people will complain. You certainly can't spank them or somebody might call CPS (I'm not kidding) and they can do VERY scary things without much probable cause. Oh, and any kid worth having (i.e. smart) knows all of this. No matter how you handle the situation, some of you would complain about it. The only good way to handle this when they act out is to leave, but that isn't alwasy feasible.

6. If ANYBODY ever grabbed my son's arm (even if he was mildly misbehaving) and tried to disipline him themselves, they would get the ass kicking of their lifetime.

I offer these observations only to let some of you understand the day-to-day realities of having a three year old, and there is very seldom a clear cut right and wrong way of handling things. Oh, and before somebody jumps on my, I'm very aware that nobody ever forced me to have children, but as children are important for the continuation of our speciies, I thought that I'd share my thoughts anyway.