Warner's Westworld DVD question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Justin_S, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I was at Border's the other night when I spotted an old favorite, Westworld, for a good price. I was picking up a few books and didn't have enough cash to get it too, so I decided I'd come back for it in a few days. Well, before going back I decided to check DVDCompare, and they said that the Warner version (the one I saw) had the incorrect OAR of 1:85.1, and that the OOP MGM version was the one to get. It struck me as odd that Warner would do this, so I figured I'd get a second opinion here. So, is the Warner version wrong? Should I seek out the OOP MGM disc?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Both the MGM and Warner editions of Westworld are 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen.

Actually a very good transfer. The first reel is grainy and dirty, but the rest of the film looks terrific.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I perceive it as a decent-ish transfer. Worth picking up if it is under $10. The film is a firm favourite of mine; I'd love to see a Special Edition some day, though.

4. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I liked the sequel "Futureworld." Will that ever see the light of day?

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Futureworld is available in the UK, with an open-matte transfer.

6. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Thanks for the info! I went out and bought it earlier today. I liked Futureworld too by the way.

7. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Remember the tv series? Lasted a couple episodes. Very low budget.

8. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

I've never heard of the T.V. series. I do remember several years ago there was talk of a remake starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

9. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

Glad that never happened, because Arnold has already ripped off most of Westworld (both as amok killer machine and as clever prey that learns to hide).

Anyway, I was interested to see Westworld but thought it took too long to get where it was going (by today's standards at least).

Would have been nice if Westworld had gotten better treatment on DVD like Logan's Run (drop the FS, improve the PQ, and add a few extras).

Bought the barebones snapper for $8, sold it for $4, and that store is now trying to sell it for $11.

10. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

WESTWORLD is one of my very favorite films, and I fell in love with it from when I saw it as a kid in the theaters. At only 88 minutes, one of the main things I love about it is that to me it feels very tight and briskly paced.

When WESTWORLD was originally announced for DVD by MGM back in 1998 (I think), it was said there would be a commentary from director/writer Michael Crichton. I was very disappointed it never came to be, but there's still time (are you listening, Warner? [​IMG] ).

11. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

Because of this thread I watched it last night. It was one of the first movies I went to as a young teen without my parents. I still enjoy it and would love to see Future World come to DVD.