What's new

Warner's Triple Feature DVDs (1 Viewer)

Jon Baker

Second Unit
While I picked up the Lethal Weapon and Eastwood trilogies (all films are widescreen), I passed up on the Shaft trilogy after noticing all the films were full screen transfers. I don't understand why Warner would choose to include the full screen transfers on the new trilogy release when the snappers include both versions. I noticed this on the Poison Ivy trilogy as well. Does anyone know if there is a reason for this?

I hope Warner will continue to release more trilogy DVDs, but I will not buy them if they are to include full screen transfers when the previous editions were widescreen. Really a shame that the Shaft trilogy was full screen.

Also interested if there are any more Warner trilogy dvds to be released in the future.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
So does anyone know why Warner Bros would issue most of these in Full Screen as opposed to widescreen? I just don't get it.

Singles/Home Fries/Mickey Blue Eyes - Full Screen
Island of Dr Moreau/Dark City/The Hidden - Full Screen
Lethal Weapon 1/2/3 - Widescreen
Honkeytonk Man/Pink Cadillac/City Heat - Widescreen
Stroker Ace/Hooper/Sharkey's Machine - Full Screen
Forget Paris/Father's Day/My Giant - Full Screen
Fire Down Below/Out For Justice/On Deadly Ground - Full Screen
Knockaround Guys/A Man Apart/Boiler Room - Full Screen
Shaft/Shaft's Big Score/Shaft in Africa - Full Screen

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
It seems very strange since I thought they had stopped doing foolscreen transfers on catalog titles. They used to include both on every disc that had room, but a lot of recent titles have been single-side, single layer with no foolscreen version. Some of these titles never had foolscreen versions on DVD before.

REALLY troubling is the New Line titles, as all of these as well as the double features seem to be foolscreen. I guess I'll have to hunt down the individual discs of the ones I really want before they're discontinued in favor of these. I always like the idea of packaging several movie together too, as long as they're not compressed like some of the dollar-store ones are. Since the Warner triple features are using 2 discs with 2 movies on the first and one on the second, they should have given them 4 movies instead.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Every studio falls prey to the P&S problem eventually. I'm just sorry that it's happened to Warner as well. I thought that they were above it. I hope they don't end up as bad as Sony is now.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Do you think I'm being too dramatic?

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I hear you regarding Sony. I've been trying to hunt down the widescreen version of "Mixed Nuts" for many months now. They should've dropped the P&S version if anything. I've built quite a handsome Christmas collection recently and "Mixed Nuts" is one I'd love to add to it.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Then you guys should take a look at the Freee Willy Triple Pack feature from Warner. FW 1 & 2 are widescreen while FW3 is full frame. Maybe the guys at Warner were smoking crack when they packaged these DVD's together.

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator

I think Warner and New Line will continue the trilogy/double feature trend with the films that really aren't selling or they want to get rid of. Contact / Sphere is another double feature disc that the WB is releasing January 2, 2007, and it's in widescreen (according to DVD Empire). Gettysburg / Gods and Generals is another double feature releasing on the same day, however that is a 2-disc set (seeing that both movies are 3 hours long and are on DVD-18s). There's also a Ghost Ship / Dreamcatcher double-feature disc, but I don't know if it's in widescreen yet.

However, the foolscreen double-feature trend has also extended to the WB's family releases too. The Scooby-Doo and The Neverending Story double features are all in pan-n-scan. But strangely, the Secret Garden / A Little Princess double-feature disc has both full-screen and widescreen options for both movies. (However, it doesn't specify if the set is 2-discs or not.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks