What's new

Warner's "The Jazz Singer" restoration (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I found some postings on a music web site I frequent from a man who is part of a group called The Vitaphone Project, whose goal is to collect the shellac soundtrack discs that accompanied the early talkies. Don't know his name, just his handle.

Anyway, according to him, Warner is working on a restoration of "The Jazz Singer," which we knew, but he did provide some details which are probably credible, given his involvement with The Vitaphone Project:

- Warner is completely restoring the soundtrack using unplayed Vitapohone discs that still had the paper seals on them.

- All the musical numbers in the film were originally shot in two-strip color, but these were not used for the release. According to him, Warner has found the color film for the "Mammy" number, and possibly the other numbers, which will be included on the DVD, though he doesn't know if the color footage will be integrated into the film.

- He says he thinks the DVD will also include a deleted scene from the film that was found in a vault in the Netherlands, and some Al Jolson shorts done prior to "The Jazz Singer."

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Wow!

Are you sure you don't mean the 2-strip sequences for Mammy (the film)?

I find it hard to believe that Warner Bros. would have filmed part of it in Technicolor given how low-budget they were at the time.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I'll post the guy's exact comments. Hope these make sense together -- they're culled from several different postings in the thread, some of them in response to questions.

I hesitate to post an actual link because it's really a music-only web site, and the thread was already hijacked as it was. The subject popped up in response to a question about the lack of Al Jolson on CD.

But anyone could contact The Vitaphone Project -- they're on the web -- and ask for details.

John, not sure about the Cds, but I am involved with the Vitaphone project, and I can you that the new release of Jolsons "The Jazz Singer" will have the audio completely redubbed from pristine, original Vitaphone discs. It should sound better than it ever has.

As most people know "the Jazz Singer" was regarded as the first real "Talkie", in 1927. However, the sound track was NOT printed on the film itself, as is normal, but was recorded on Vitaphone 16 inch 78 rpm disks that were run in sync with the film for playback.

Sometime in the 1930s, the sync disk method became outdated, so the audio was recorded to film, and copies made for theatres who no longer had the Vitaphone playback equipment ( a HUGE , clunky playback machine, to see one is an experience)

Untill the mid 80s, the prints that were being used to show this move were terrible, scratched , worn out 35 mm prints with these soundtracks, which were copies off an interpositive in the first place.

WB went on a search for the best available elements and better prints were found in the early 90s, and recently, two major finds have excited collectors of this movie:

Rare, excellent condition Vitaphone 16 inch disks were found with the complete soundtrack. These are the best available source of the songs from this movie... The discs that are being used for the restoration are pristine, and even had the paper seals still on them.

Rarer STILL, a reel of film of Jolson singing "Mammy" from the film was found, IN COLOR!!! It is what was called a test reel fro the then brand new "2 strip technicolor" process. All the "singing" sequences from the movie were recorded in this "2 strip" method. This process was tested but not adopted by the industry because the three strip process came along a few months after with MUCH better color definition.

I also believe that they have found the reels for the other songs. I know for sure that "Mammy" has been restored, not 100% sure about the others, but as this was the first talkie, I'm pretty sure Warner Bros will do it, if they havent already.

Not that I'm a big jolson fan, but seeing the songs in color, for the first time since they were filmed 75 years ago will be a pretty neat thing.

I've seen examples of the "2 strip" process, and its not hard to see why the tried fo something better. The colors are very fuzzy, and not distinct. I think they didnt really have the chemical formulations down yet, and its not real impressive, especially when you compare it to th tru Technicolor process circa 1933 or so. Night and Day!!

There certainly WILL be a deluxe DVD of this movie, restored, with the color sequences and new audio. Also, on the same disk will be some of the shorts jolson did before this movie, and I believe, some footage found in a film vault in the Netherlands that was cut out of the movie. A dance sequence, i think.

Its AMAZING what turns up in far reaching places. I'm sure no one at WB even KNEW that they experimented with the 2 strip technicolor on that film.

When WB switched to optical, it WAS a huge improvement. They had to, as everyone else in the business was.

Kind of suprising to me how many Vitaphone disks still survive. There is a guy in Europe that has something like 3,000 disks!! Thats some collection.

Let alone that anyone would find the film reels 75 years later. Truly amazing and an important part of film culture.

They are still missing the Vitaphone FILM for the 1929 "Buddy Rich-Baby Traps" short. Its Buddy at 12 years old, playing all sorts of percussion. They have the audio, and you can hear how great he was even at 12 years old.

What I want to know is when the hell Paramount (i think) is going to restore The Glen Miller Story, a huge moneymaker for them and the first film recorded in stereo to win an [Oscar] for sound recording. Just that justifies a full scale restoration, no matter thats its a GREAT movie. One of my favs. Such a great soundtrack, also. To recreate Glens music in stereo, they put together a special studio band that had a bunch of guys who had actually been IN Glens band , and had played on the records, and knew the nuances of the charts , and how Glen intended them to sound.

Eric-S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric Schnabel
I thought Neil Diamond was just great in that movie:D

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Sounds interesting. As long as they don't do a 5.1 stereo version of the soundtrack. It's really a terrible film, but it has historic value. Neil Diamond? I thought it was Danny Thomas? :D

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I think the film is rather good and unfairly maligned. Given the rampant anti-semitism of the time, I find it interesting that such a film was even made so steeped in respectful Judaica. I'll be glad to have it in my collection when it is released. The news of possible 2-strip technicolor elements makes this even more exciting.

SteveP

Second Unit
I second the sentiment that I hope those here don't expect Vitaphone discs to be remastered in 5.1 stereo!

TonyDale

Second Unit
All of this is well and good, but, until the remaining Jolie films are released on dvd, I'll be hanging onto my THE AL JOLSON COLLECTION laserdisc set. ;)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I am also looking forward to this classic after having been made aware of the historical value of this film. I have a taped copy of it from a cable broadcast. Last night I attended a film restoration/preservation event in a locally restored theater and the local film preservationist discussed The Jazz Singer and its significance in American Film. He also showed other Vitaphone classics. My interest has been heightened even though Bill Hunt's at the 'bit's' shows The Jazz Singer as one of the AFI titles not under development for DVD :confused: .

Joel

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS arrives soon. JAZZ SINGER is in restoration but
no release date is in sight. No plans for any other early Vitaphone material at the moment

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Two strip Technicolor dates to 1918.

By 1927, it was fully perfected.

Three strip did not come along for another seven years.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
I too being a bit of a Jolson nut would love to see The Jazz Singer on DVD. Glad to hear its being restored and the colour footage sounds fascinating. If only they would through in the colour minstrel sections of the later "Mammy" as an extra ! No solid release date yet but apart from that it at least sounds promising.

As for the other Jolson movies I think the historical status of The Jazz Singer means the rest will be far behind it if indeed they ever see the light of day on DVD.

Actually I'm quite surprised Columbia haven't released The Jolson Story and Jolson Sings Again : they went through a few printings on VHS and were huge box office successes in their day. Where are the DVDs ? Jolson is also cursed by some I suppose because of his use of blackface in the politically correct age we live in.

So us Jolson fans will just have enjoy MGM's disc of Halleluyah I'm a Bum and I believe there's a disc with material cut from Rose of Washington Square which I'll probably add to my collection one of these days.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Well, close to a year has elapsed and still no word. Anyone heard from Warner on progress and/or projected dates?

Joel

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
No date, but a little more news, per VitaphoneProject.com's Newsletter Volume 6, Number 2:

Warner Home Video is now completing work on a DVD which will present a restored and improved soundtrack (direct from discs) for THE JAZZ SINGER (WB, ‘27). Versions currently shown use an early 1930’s sound-on-film print and digital technology can now significantly improve the sound quality by working directly from discs provided by the Project’s John Newton and UCLA. The DVD will also include visual materials (posters, programs, etc.), intermission music, and several still to be determined shorts (although Jolson’s A PLANTATION ACT (‘26) and the JAZZ SINGER trailer are definite as of this writing.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I can't wait to see it. After seeing MAMMY at Film Forum, this should be a real treat.

Going back a few months, JAZZ SINGER was absolutely NOT shot in Technicolor at any rate.

Now, if only Warners would release THE WONDER BAR...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks