What's new

Warners Pre-Code boxset speculation (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Good Idea! They could easily make several of the discs double-features. Several of the bigger titles could have a disc to themselves with additional content. I most definitely want a commentary on any premium titles though.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I hope they include " The Mask of Fu Manchu" Boris Karloff.
Myrna Loy , and whips. Very politically incorrect.

"Red Headed Woman " and " Red Dust" would seem to belong in this set but as Warner is planning a Harlow
Box set I would guess that is where these would be included as they are two of her best films.

Marc^H

Agent
Though we'll probably never see a print of CONVENTION CITY resurface, the script DOES exist, and it has been performed live at the Film Forum.

A copy of this script would be the ultimate "surprise," though I guess it would be a tad of a logistical problem squeezing that into a DVD box set.

(Thats why I'm not employed at the Warner marketing department.)

You can fit 2 pre-code films per DVD side. That's a whole lotta great movies crammed into one box set!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'd love it if KONGO (1932, MGM, starring Walter Huston and Lupe Velez) was included in the set, but that film could also be just as easily paired with the Lon Chaney, Sr. film, WEST OF ZANZIBAR (1928, MGM), as it was a talkie remake of the silent feature.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
it may be 'easy' to put two-four films on a disc, but remember, as Robert Harris reminds us, WB goes back for a restoration for all their dvd product and this can mean 6figures preproduction cost per title.

Here's what I think would be a great idea though:

Dedicate one or two discs of the set to precode or 'racy/offcolor' WB cartoons and shorts that might not make the regular Looney Tunes golden collection sets!

It would have been a great move to include a WWII set of WB cartoons and shorts in with the controversial classics sets, so I hope WB hears this and does a separate cartoon and shorts disc for the pre-code set!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm always looking to dip my toes into the waters of classic films (I'm campaigning for the owners of the 80s Movies Rewind, which I write for, to do a classics website).

Anyway, I've held an interest in pre-Code films, even though I've never seen any. A laserdisc box set came out in the early 90s, I think, but I was barely out of my single digits by then. With Warner's upcoming pre-Code box, I can finally satiate my curiousity.

I know that Warner always has great supplements for their titles (commentaries, deleted scenes, feature-length doucmentaries), and so I would like to add my voice to the chorus of people who would want to see some of the racier Warner Brothers cartoons included as supplements. Also, if anybody at Warner is reading this, if you have any racy pre-Code live-action short subjects in your library, by all means include them.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Thanks, Warner...You kick ass!

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Does Warner own Norma Shearer's pre-code films? I've only seen her in the Divorcee which may be prime for this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks