What's new

Warner's next Film Noir Set (pure speculation) (1 Viewer)

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Like Joe Karlosi did it for the Halloween-themed Set, let's speculate a bit about Warner's forthcoming Film Noir Box.

Some facts that we already know from their last chat:

What's left as potential titles for a fifth volume and which titles do you want to see in it?

Personally, I have no overview, which Noirs are sitting in their vaults and I'll pick this set up no matter what movies will be included but here are some real buffs among us. Furthermore I believe this thread is a nice way to kill some time till we see the official announcement and maybe Warner will get some inspiration for a sixth, seventh and eight Film Noir set. ;)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I would especially want:

Backfire (50)
The Man I Love (46)
Second Chance (52) - not considered noir by some, but actually much more noirish that several titles included in the Fox noir collection series
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The Woman on Pier 13 (51) - that one is almost a parody with a very troubled production history
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I think someone mentioned in another thread that Julie (56) will be included?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well eliminating the titles mentioned (BTW I'm hugely disappointed that Stranger on the Third Floor won't make the cut and is planned to be dumped in the Archives) my 10 picks would be

Desperate - one of Anthony Mann's finest Noirs IMO. Raymond Burr's psychotic villain is iconic and memorable
The Devil Thumbs a Ride - Lawrence Tierney plays a sociopathic hitch-hiker - what's not to like?
The Window - remade numerous times
Out of the Fog - Garfield/Lapino
The Threat
- Charles McGraw
The Mask of Dimitrios - Lorre/Greenstreet
He Ran all the Way- Garfield
Conflict - Bogart/Greenstreet
Ride the Pink Horse - Robert Montgomery
Rogue Cop - Robert Taylor

A nice little sampling of everything noir

Charles H

Screenwriter
CRY TERROR!, THE DECKS RAN RED, HIGH WALL, THE BRIBE, THE TALL TARGET, MAN IN A CLOAK, THE BLACK HAND, THE VERDICT (Lorre and Greenstreet). WOMAN IN WHITE, WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS, BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT (Being remade), CONSPIRATOR, THE SECRET FURY, TALK ABOUT A STRANGER, SHADOW ON THE WALL, SHADOW IN THE SKY, TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY, LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE, DIAL 119, THE PEOPLE AGAINST o'HARA, THE SELLOUT, DANGEROUS MISSION.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Didn't I read somewhere the late director Vincent Sherman recorded commentary for several films thus far not released? I seem to specifically recall he did a commentary for at least one of the two Ann Sheridan film noirs he directed: NORA PRENTISS and THE UNFAITHFUL. So those would be my guess.

And would you categorize Vincente Sherman's brilliant, still ahead of its time film THE HARD WAY as a film noir? Joan Leslie should hopefully be involved as well, at least for a commentary track.

I hope we find out soon!

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan

That's a nice list, but Ride The Pink Horse and He Ran All The Way are Universal and UA films respectively so they won't make it. I'd replace them with The Bribe and While The City Sleeps.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Thanks and you're correct. Thought Pink Horse was MGM for some reason and I originally picked The Locket for more Mitchum then realized it was slated for Archives and scrambled for a replacement (He Ran All the way).

Almost picked The Verdict but already had a Lorre/Greenstreet selected with Dimitrios. ;)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
If the set features 10 films, and won't include any of the titles mentioned in that Warner Chat question, I'd go with:

WHEN STRANGERS MARRY (1944, Monogram)
THREE STRANGERS (1946, WB)
DEEP VALLEY (1947, WB)
DESPERATE (1947, RKO)
THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE (1947, RKO)
THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME (1947, RKO)
THE THREAT (1949, RKO)
THE WINDOW (1949, RKO)
CRY DANGER (1951, RKO)
WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1956, RKO)

Other possibles, not yet mentioned:

BEWITCHED (1945, MGM)
CRACK-UP (1946, RKO)
DEADLINE AT DAWN (1946, RKO)
THE ARNELO AFFAIR (1947, MGM)
THE UNSUSPECTED (1947, WB)
BERLIN EXPRESS (1948, RKO)
FOLLOW ME QUIETLY (1949, RKO)
THE TATTOOED STRANGER (1950, RKO)
ROADBLOCK (1951, RKO)
THE WHIP HAND (1951, RKO)
SPLIT SECOND (1953, RKO)

Samuel Vimes

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeroen
Since I liked all of the other Dmytryk noirs, I hope "Cornered" will be in this collection (since it was rumoured to be in n°4, but got replaced at the last minute with "The Big Steal" - which was a fun road movie, but no noir).

Aside from that any Anthony Mann, Lorre-Greenstreet, Tourneur (Berlin express seems interesting), Fleischer, ... are welcome.

And "The Unsuspected" also seems interesting. Noir directed by Curtiz with Claude Rains

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I find it extremely lame that the landmark STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR, often cited as the first true Film Noir, will be dumped in the Archive. If any film deserves to be part of one of the official noir boxes, it's this one. What the...?

I'm expecting my two most wanted noirs, THREE STRANGERS and THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS, to be dumped in the Archive as well. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
More than anything, I would love two Fritz Lang films included;

While the City Sleeps (superb cast)
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

ReggieW

Screenwriter

These two were screened together recently here in Los Angeles during the film noir festival at the Egyptian Cinematheque.

Great films.

I hope they find their way to DVD.

Samuel Vimes

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeroen

I know Fritz lang had problems with the producer in BaRD, yet I don't really know what about exactly. But in my opinion, they've spoiled a very interesting premise.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Cry Danger is a personal favorite, and has shown up on TCM with a pretty clean print. I'd be surprised if it's NOT included on the next Noir set.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Sadly enough, LionsGate owns CRY DANGER, and they are totally indifferent to their classics catalogue. They are literally "sitting" on CAUGHT, THE STRANGER AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY, PLUNDER ROAD, THE DARK MIRROR, TRY AND GET ME, SPECTER OF THE ROSE, PITFALL and MOONRISE. I would particularly like to see CRY DANGER, PITFALL and MOONRISE released on dve, but I guess we have to file it under "it ain't gonna happen."

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Nearly four months later and may be there's somebody out there who has some insider information regarding the status of this set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks