What's new

Warners 'Motion Picture Masterpieces' Five-disc set October (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Woww, What a box set!! I was sure that Pride and Prejudice would come out at the same time of David Copperfield and A Tale of Two Cities. I was also guessing about Marie Antoinette.
More Garso and more Shearer!!!
Wonderful box set that just made my day!
Thanks a lot for the info John.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Terrific news! I've really been looking forward to these titles...really a great combination in this set. The 2-strip Tech shorts are a very nice bonus. Thanks for the good news, John.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Some or all of these titles had already been mentioned by Warners as being on the way, but that's quite a combination to have them all in the same boxset.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Excellent news. Pride and Prejudice alone is worth the cost of the set.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks John! My wife is a big fan of the '40 Pride & Prejudice film. I'm a fan of Crime Doesn't Pay shorts so this will be a perfect DVD for us :)

Actually the whole set looks quite good, I can always use more Basil Rathbone, Lionel Barrymore, and Edna May Oliver films in my collection and they're all represented multiple times in this set, which I should be able to score for $35 or under.

Steve

DeeF

Screenwriter
The '40 Pride and Prejudice is the best movie adaptation of the novel, and Mr. Darcy as embodied by Laurence Olivier is peerless. When I get this disk, I will have 5 separate versions of the story on DVD, including the '80 BBC miniseries, the '95 BBC miniseries, the Mormon/Utah version, and the recent Keira Knightly vehicle. And there's Bride and Prejudice to be got, too.

:)

Corey

Screenwriter
oh my f*cking gosh!!!! you guys don't know how long i've been waiting for marie antoinette and pride and prejudice.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Wow, great news!

I have never seen any of these films, and now I can finally see them in beautifully restored WB dvd quality. Good things DO come to those who wait! I'm REALLY looking forward to this blind buy!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Finally A TALE OF TWO CITIES on DVD! I'm thrilled that all of these will be presented, but I'm especially excited to see TALE come to DVD.

The classics just keep right on coming from Warners! Thank you!!

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Aw crap.

Don't get me wrong. I want all these movies on DVD and I'm definitely buying the boxset. Problem is, this pretty much eliminates the possibility of Warner releasing Norma Shearer or Greer Garson Signature Collections! I was especially hoping for a Norma Shearer box... but I can't imagine them releasing one without Marie Antoinette included, can you? I mean, that would be a major selling point to make sure people buy the boxset...I think it's one of the most requested-to-be-released-on-dvd Norma movies.

Of course it was also a bad sign that The Women was included in the Joan Crawford boxset when Joan has a relatively small role in the film and it's *really* Norma's movie ...but I was hoping that since then Warner had reconsidered and decided Norma deserved a Signature Collection. Sigh.

I guess Greer could still get a box someday... but not likely since 2 of her biggies, Random Harvest and Mrs. Miniver are already out. Pity, I'd love to see all the movies Greer & Walter Pidgeon made together, released in one big beautiful boxset. But Warner's reluctant to release "screen team" sets, for some reason.

One more complaint: Don't Warner own enough movie adaptations of Charles Dickens novels, that they could've put 'em all together in a boxset? That would've been cool.

Sorry I'm so picky. I know I should just be grateful these movies are coming to DVD at all. I am. Still, can't help imagining my dream themed sets... and worrying about the implications of this release, whether it hurts the chances of other movies making it to DVD, etc.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

I'm hoping for Norma Shearer's Romeo and Juliet on DVD at some point. I haven't seen it, and would really like to. Hopefully there will still be a box, and that would be included.

Andy

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I just realized that this will probably be timed promotionally to coincide with the new Sofia Coppola film of the same title.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It could be much worse, example being Paramount and Columbia while Universal still has a boatload of titles they haven't released.

Crawdaddy

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
I love this! One of the best years for DVD classic releases. Legendary stuff by Warners. I have been waiting for Marie Antoinette and Pride and Prejudice for so long!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks