What's new

Warners Film Noir Boxset 3 in July! (1 Viewer)

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
Apologies if this is old news that has already been poisted elsewhere (I'm a bit surprised that John Hodson hasn't beaten me to this), but DVD Beaver say that the films to be included on the third Warner Noir box box will be:

ON DANGEROUS GROUND, LADY IN THE LAKE, BORDER INCIDENT, HIS KIND OF WOMAN and THE RACKET

http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
i'm excited. i've only seen lady in the lake. so that's four new noir titles for me. on dangerous ground looks good. nicholas ray huh?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

You're okay with this thread. That other thread is for general discusion about film noir dvd releases from all of the studios while this thread can be used specifically to talk about this future Warner dvd release. Once a release date is confirmed and specifications are announced then we can update this thread with that information.

Crawdaddy

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
HIS KIND OF WOMAN-- At last!!!! This is a fabulous adventure film with a lot of humor in it. I'm suprised it hasn't been remade yet, but then how does one replace Robert Mitchum and Jane Russell- you can't!

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
Which "The Racket" are you talking about? Is it the original 1928 version from Howard Hughes?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

They're talking about the 1951 version with Robert Mitchum and Robert Ryan.

Yes, the original was a Howard Hughes production.

Crawdaddy

Corey

Screenwriter
:D :D :D I WAS HOPING THEY WOULD RELEASE "HIS KIND OF WOMAN."
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THAT MOVIE! IT'S ABOUT TIME WE GET MORE JANE RUSSELL.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm probably passing on this set. I'll wait and see what Volume #4 consists of.

The two Mitchum films didn't really impress me all that much and the gimmicky POV camerawork in Lady in the Lake didn't work for me which turned me off to a pretty good story.

Border Incident was okay, but not one of Anthony Mann's better unreleased noirs IMO. I'd buy Desperate and Side Street in a heartbeat.

On Dangerous Ground was good though I don't hold it in as high regard as most noir fans. If it's available separately I'll probably pick it up.

I'm kinda disappointed that Act of Violence didn't make the cut.

I know, I know - you can't make everyone happy right? ;)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I really liked the selection for this box set, that is a sure buy for me. And I respect Warner policy of releasing some prime noirs with others more obscure, is the chance they have to put them out in the market.
I am sure that a lot of other volumes will follow and, sooner or later, everyone will have their favorites released.

Corey

Screenwriter

that's true. aside from "side street," we still don't knopw what's gonna be in volume 4. the film noir sets are the best selling sets from WB, along with the gangsters & thin man collection, so we'll have plenty of film noir sets down the line.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Eddie Muller recorded commentaries for They Live by Night (with Farley Granger) and Crime Wave (with James Ellroy) so these 2 should be coming out.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I will be buying Volume 3 (and any subsequent ones). I don't mind unfamiliar films because it allows me to expand my appreciation of the genre. One of the things I like most about Warners' reasonable pricing on their boxes is that I've seen films I never would have seen otherwise and have really enjoyed learning about them.

Great supporting casts in these which makes these even more enjoyable. For example, Raymond Burr and William Talman are most noted for Perry Mason, but they were very good at being very bad in films. I see their names in the cast lists of certain titles in this set and look forward to seeing them.

Corey

Screenwriter
thats true. at first i was kinda hesistant at buying volume 2, but i liked volume 1 so much, i didn't mind if the titles were more unfamiliar. plus my mom had seen all of them and she recommended them.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Corey's link in the thread he started for the Warners Tough Guys Collection also reveals the full details for this boxset. We already knew the titles, so here's the line-up with bonus features:

Border Incident: Commentary by film historian Dana Polan, trailer.
His Kind of Woman: Commentary by film historian Vivian Sobchack.
Lady in the Lake: Commentary by film historians Alain Silver and James Ursini, trailer.
On Dangerous Ground: Commentary by film historian Glenn Erickson, trailer.
The Racket: Commentary by film historian Eddie Muller, trailer.

Corey

Screenwriter
the digital bits said it was most definately going to be on released on july 4th.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Barrie Maxwell's most recent column said it was "expected on July 4th most likely." Have they said anything more definite than that at the Bits?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
A very minor quibble and understandable considering the MSRP... but am I the only one who'd love to see at least a couple of small extras included with these great collections (apart from the commentary tracks)?

I wish WB would at least use these as an oppurtunity to include a couple of bonus shorts or cartoons. or even a featurette or two.

But for the price... and even not factoring that... these are still among my most anticipated annual releases!

Can't wait, thanks again WB!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks