What's new

Warners does it again. Private Benjamin in Pan and Scam (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Eileen Brennan is a guest star on Will & Grace this week, so I rushed out to Best Buy to grab a copy of Private Benjamin for her to sign. It's a $15 dvd as I figured, but I never expected it to be Standard format. That really pissed me off. Anyway, she signed the cover and the disc, so it's still a nice collector's item. By the way, she is still as funny as she's ever been (for those who know her work.
Correction: Topic should read: Warners Did It Before! Private Benjamin was also not OAR.
[Edited last by David Tolsky on September 07, 2001 at 12:31 AM]

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Benjamin is open matte and has been since the disc was released years ago. Yes, it is disappointing, but it is not pan and scan.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Why are you complaining now about a title that came out in 1997!!!!!
You could as easily bash just about every other studio, that has put out a similar release in pan and scan 3 or 4 years ago. It's like posting today "I don't get Fox, they supported pan and scan Divx". This Warner bashing is getting too much. Sheesh.
J

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
As Justin pointed out, they didn't "do it again". This topic header is nonsense.
Cees

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Maybe the subject header should read,
"Warner Bros did it before".
Also, Universal released,
Death Becomes Her on DVD with an AR 1.33:1,
which I do believe is pan-and-scan, not open matte.
(Which I why I don't own it, as much as I love that film.)
They also did The Sting open matte,
which they were supposed to be fixing for an SE
at some point way back when. (sigh)
Mark
[Edited last by Mark Walker on September 06, 2001 at 09:10 PM]

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
This thread is a lie, and thus should be closed. Or fix the header or something.
wink.gif

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
All of the titles mentioned in this thread are available in widescreen in R2/4, although The Sting and Death Becomes Her are non-anamorphic and in dire need of remastering.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I did not know when Private Benjamin was released on dvd. I don't care. I bring it up in light of all the BS concerning Cats and Dogs and Willy Wonka. When I went to look for Benjamin, there were literally about eight rows of the title face out on the shelf. It looked to me like a recent release. Open matte or Pan and Scan, whatever, it still pisses me off. When I think of Eileen Brennan's work however, this is the first title that comes to mind, an Oscar nominated role for her so it really let me down finding the Standard Format line on the case. Mr. Administrator, I'll be happy to go back and edit my post.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like it was an honest mistake, guys. Let's just let it go?...
The day I bought my player (2 years ago next Tuesday 9/11), I saw copies of PB on the shelf. Having researched on the 'Net about what was good and not-so-good on DVD, I gave the title a pass. Not because it wasn't OAR...I didn't care ENOUGH about that at the time (I bought Exorcist that day, but next day bought Space Jam for my son...ooops).
The reason I gave PB a pass, then and since, even though the movie is an all-time favorite, is because I had read that the picture quality was so bad that the disc could be represented as among the worst examples of DVD. That the VHS had a clearer picture.
When this finally get released, cleaned up and in OAR, I will be first in line! M'kay?
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread