What's new

Warner's box sets (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Warner's box sets are kind of like M&Ms...i can't get enough of them...and thus my shelf space is filling up. How would you feel if the thinner cases (like those found with the season TV shows)were used instead of the "regular" ones for these sets? i would welcome it......and would anyone else welcome another Bette Davis set?

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I own there Hitchcock Signature Collection and Controversial Classics set and personally I feel a bit of pride when I take out any of dvds from those sets to see the beautiful classy covers in a regular DVD case, I rather keep it that way than slim cases.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
As much as I love the current covers, I wouldn't mind thinner keep cases jsut for space reasons. As long as they keep the poster art, I wont mind, especially for larger sets like Hitchcock and Garbo.

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what's next, but I would like:

Busby Berkeley Box
Esther Williams Box
MacDonald and Eddy Box
Garland and Rooney Box
and
more assorted musicals boxes like Broadway To Hollywood

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
They have thin cases that have full size front & back covers, the spine is just thinner. I would welcome this change. I'm up for a Busby set for sure!!! and Judy/Mickey;)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Paul, I would love all those boxes you mentioned. And of course, more Davis, Crawford, Gangster, Gable, Tracy, Garson, William Powell and Myrna Loy , Ann Sheridan would be more than welcome.
And there are some special titles that I am waiting for:
Waterloo Bridge, Jonnny Eager, Three Comrades, Mortal Storm, Bachelor Mother, Shining Hour, Tom, Dick and Harry, Woman's Face, Rosalie, Born to Dance, Lady Be Good, Human Comedy, A Date with Judy, Two weeks with love...do not know how they could be market in a box set, but I am sure WB has the answer.

DavidBC

Second Unit
Also, there's a lot of Katharine Hepburn in their vaults that are crying out for a release!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
After the Val Lewton Collection, more horror sets:

MASK OF FU MANCHU (uncut) - Karloff
MARK OF THE VAMPIRE - Lugosi
THE WALKING DEAD - Karloff
BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS - Lorre
MAD LOVE - Lorre
DR. X
RETURN OF DR. X - Bogart
DEVIL DOLL - Barrymore

:)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Hopefully we'll see a Bogart collection next year -- preferably a big monster blow-out one like the Garbo and Hitchcock ones.

We definitely need a John Ford collection.

I'd like a swashbuckler/adventure set. Charge of the Light Brigade, Prisoner of Zenda (I think they have the rights to the 1937 version and maybe '52 as well), some Muskateer flicks (they must have some good ones in their library), and maybe throw in Gunga Din even if it is a double dip.

And how about some WWI films -- Sgt. York, The Dawn Patrol, the William Powell comedy Rendezvous, and maybe a couple others.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I believe Warners made it clear in a chat here several months ago what would be coming in 2006. Boxsets from Jean Harlow, Spencer Tracy, Esther Williams, Clark Gable, Gangsters 2, film noir 3, and a few others. I personally would rather see never before released titles from Gable, Harlow, and Tracy, than re-issues of stuff we already have in decent editions. I have personally waited years for Gable and Harlow collections, and would desperately like to see their likes on DVD in 2006.

-Reg

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
There is definitely a second Davis set coming next year, one of the USC professors said in class he'd just finished working on the commentary (and/or) special features for the next Davis set during class last week.

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
John Ford Collection: PLEASE Newly Remastered Editions of the Searchers and Stagecoach!!!

Charles H

Screenwriter
Warners was the "go to" company for Broadway adaptations of comedies, drama, and musicals. Some suggestions for a box set of Broadway hits: NO TIME FOR COMEDY (1940), THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER (1942), SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO (1960), A MAJORITY OF ONE (1961), MARY, MARY (1963), THE DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS (1960), THE HASTY HEART (1950), NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS (1958), NEVER TOO LATE (1965), THE MALE ANIMAL (1942), a double-disc of WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? (1966), GOODBYE, MAY FANCY (1951). Tennessee Williams merits his own set.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
The John Ford set is definitly my most anticipated release. But, I'm just biting my nails for the Busby Berkeley, and Pre-Code boxed sets that are coming. The Pre-Code set is supposed to have "suprises". I think it would be great if the Pre-Code set were double features like the Lewton set. Warners has SO many Pre-Code films and most of them are barely over an hour long. Oh, and the Sam Pechinpah set is high on my list. I have a feeling there will be a classic Westerns set coming in '06, because Anthony Mann's masterpiece The Naked Spur is due next year. If it is a set, I hope they include Rancho Notorious, and The Left Handed Gun, and maybe a 2 Disc SE of Rio Bravo!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I would like to see a FRED ASTAIRE box featuring, Three Little Words, Belle of New York, Ziegfeld Follies and Yolanda and the Thief.

A DEBBIE REYNOLDS box set featuring, Two Weeks With Love, I Love Melvin, Give a Girl a Break and possibly The Singing Nun. ( maybe The Affairs of Dobbie Gillis or for a long shot, The Daughter of Rosie O'Grady)

Any JAMES CAGNEY box set must include Strawberry Blonde.

A JUDY GARLAND Set is long overdue.

A COMPOSERS set featuring, Till the Clouds Roll By, Deep in My Heart, The Great Waltz, Rhapsody in Blue, Three Little Words, Words and Music, Shine on Harvest Moon, My Wild Irish Rose.

As long as George and Warners keep turning them out I'll keep buying them!

If only Fox and Universal would take note and get off their backsides.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks