Warner's Blu-ray & HD DVD Ad

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Jeff(R), Jul 11, 2006.

1. Jeff(R)

Jeff(R) Second Unit

A new Warner ad showing Blu-ray (future) & HD DVD titles:

[​IMG]
    (click image to enlarge)

(from The Digital Bits)

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

yes, it seems to be Warner taking the high road (as usual), and trying to lead the other studios along towards considering format neutrality - and all the benfits, to everyone (studios and consumers) that would entail.

They deserve a round of applause for trying to inject some rationality into the hype.
    PS3 will probably make something like Pirates Of The Caribbean sell more Blu-ray discs than all the HD DVD title sales to date combined- however will the PS3 do much for classic catalog titles, or foreign films...

it makes sense to target both formats because the primary consumers attached to each format are not neccessarily the same nor do they neccessarily have the same wants/needs for their HD experience.

3. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Covering their bases.

4. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

I think its a little more than that. "we're offering support for both formats and so should you" , "Let's team up for a big, new world of business"
    Warner seems to be of the mind that the division is going to be bad for both formats and keep customers away longer than is neccessary.

_________

edited to add I was reading the ad as something in a publication targeted more towards studio and industry types (like Variety)- but if this was in a pub mostly viewed by retailers, then the comments in the ad can be taken as " Be sure to stock both formats in your chains". I may have been a little off base in congragulating WB when as Chris states they may just be covering their bases with regards to the retailers.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Be great if all studios supported both formats. The war would be over and we'd all be happy hi-def campers.

6. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Can someone summarise the region coding please for both formats?
    Being in Fiji, the only player options will be:

$X HD add-on for 360 out of Australia.
    $930 PS3 60GB version out of Australia. $760 for 20GB version.

7. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

If that happens, Blu-Ray player prices will have to drop significantly. Nobody's going to pay 2x HD-DVD player prices.

8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Blu-ray Region Coding:

Region A = North America, South America, East Asia (except China)
    Region B = Africa and Europe
    Region C = Russia, China, and other countries

(region info taken from Wikipedia)

HD DVD

Apparently HD DVD initially was not going to have any region restrictions. Apparently first gen players, so far, do not have region restrictions for HD DVD discs. I'm not sure if they have included the region codes for SD DVD, but I suspect that they have. It looks like later generations of HD DVD players will have region restrictions, due to pressure from the studios. It does not look like those restrictions have been finalized as of yet. So it looks like both formats are going to be stuck with lame-brained regional encoding once again.

I'm wondering if first gen players could have region restrictions imposed through firmware updates?

9. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

That's a true sticking point with BD, there is no reason for anyone to pay 1000.00 for a product that was introduced at 500.00 (HD-DVD) and now comes as a dual format player. I'd like to see what studio is next to jump on the dual bandwagon, if Disney goes it's it would be just a matter of time.

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I think this statement is a little too generalized, considering that there are SD DVD players selling for twice the starting prices of BD hardware. They, obviously, still sell, so I would not say that BDs initial "high price" is some sort of deal killer. There is a good proportion of people who buy by brand name. Those people will wait until their favoured brand puts out product and they won't care what it costs. Right now, BDs biggest weakness is the poor reviews of the initial movie releases.

Furthermore, HD DVD had a bigger crossover by a studio than BD. Warner Bros. initially was going to exclusively support HD DVD but decided to support both formats. The studios that have been exclusively supporting BD are still doing so. Shouldn't HD DVD throw in the towel since their biggest studio backer decided to go non-exclusive? Not really, because it is too early in the game to say who the winner is going to be: assuming that there is a winner, of course.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    However, if the Blu-ray players sold are far less than the number of HD DVD players then the studios will support the format that makes them the most money which is the format that sells the most hardware, thus the most software. It's the sheer number of cheap dvd players sold that allows that format to be the most successful video format ever not those expensive dvd players.

12. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The HD DVD players do indeed have region coding for standard DVD.

13. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I totally agree with that statement. I'll also add that at the end of the year we will definetly see a change in direction from BD, you can't fight the numbers.

14. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Who is this ad targeting with phrases like "we're offering support for both formats and so should you"? Are there any retailers exclusively selling one format and not both or is that just WB's fear?

15. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I cant wait for the WB movies to be on Blu-ray as well, just as long as they are VC-1 or MPEG4 discs.

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Warner put out movies on both VHS and Beta too [​IMG]

17. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Just to clear it up this article isn't aimed at other studios but it's aimed at retailers....warner's wants them to stock both...

18. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

of course they do.

More money for them.