What's new

Warner's 2008 Blu-Ray lineup (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
There's a sneak peek at Warner's 2008 Blu-ray slate on the bits.

The article covers Warner's 85th Anniversary plans (mostly SD) so more specific Warner Blu-Ray catalog announcements are forthcoming.

Courtesy of thedigitalbits:

The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

Confirmed for BD

Batman Anthology (all 6 films) Q4
Dirty Harry set (all 5 films) Q2
and the usual day/date new films

and lots of BD possibilities on the list such as Heat, Once Upon a Time in America, Cool Hand Luke, True Romance, etc (I'll have to keep my fingers crossed).

The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Woodstock and North by Northwest won't be until 2009

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I'm glad to see that the SE of Risky Business is still in the works. It was first mentioned here in a Warner HTF chat back in '06. I wonder if Cruise will participate...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
That article was frustratingly short on specifics, but it does sound like we may get a better picture of what's in store on BD from WB shortly:

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
So far I'm not impressed with what was actually announced for 2008. North By Northwest in 2009 is something to look forward (to).

-Reagan

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Nice list! Looking forward to most of those!

Doesn't look like the Sinatra films are coming to Blu which is a shame, but I'll pick them all up on standard def.

Looking forward to American in Paris, How the West was Won, Dirty Harry Series and the Batman releases
(fingers crossed they're multi-regional or else I cannot buy them) on Blu.

Oh, and all of those 2009 releases will be mine. North by Northwest in HD!? I can't wait !!!!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Dale - Warner does not region code their BDs, so no worries there.

I know the Bits says that the Dirty Harry films are coming in both BD and HD-DVD in Q2, but let's not forget that June is part of Q2, and by then Warner will have stopped releasing HD-DVD.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Are we getting BD double-dips of 'A Christmas Story' and 'The Searchers' already? You think we're gonna get new transfers/encodes (e.g. 'Xmas' less red and 'Searchers' more red, in addition to higher bitrates)?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to read any reports of this event and walk away with a good sense of what is and what isn't coming to Blu-ray Disc. I think the main reason for this is that the press event itself wasn't geared specifically to promote Blu-ray Disc, but Warner Bros. anniversary instead. Therefore, I am considering it to be a non-event as far as BD is concerned. I'd rather not get my hopes up or waste too much time speculating what will and won't be on BD. I'm sure it will all become clear soon anyway.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
IF (note...IF) the Blu-ray is released earlier (as is the new Warner policy), the HD DVD set should be along three weeks later, provided the Blu-ray release is not IN June. But I have no expectations either way.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Now that Warner is down to only one Hi Def format maybe they will get more aggresive with Catalog Titles. Last year they were slacking with mediocore titles like Purple Rain and Out for Justice. I'd like a 25th of THE RIGHT STUFF on BD. Hopefully that will be on its way this year.

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
I am skeptical about the release of North by Northwest in 2009. Doesn't the film need a full restoration? Remember, North by Northwest was filmed in VistaVision. Does anyone have any information about a restoration of North by Northwest by Warner?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Bill Hunt's latest Bits update says he just had long conversations with Warner reps regarding more titles and should be updating again by early tomorrow morning.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
So far, I'm very pleased with some of the titles announced.........Batman, GoodFellas, Heat, True Romance, etc. :emoji_thumbsup:

troy evans

Screenwriter
North by Northwest was restored and released in a 16:9 remastered transfer on dvd in 2004. I own this title and it is nearly flawless. I can only hope the Bluray will knock my socks off to this degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks