What's new

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of things that I’d be willing to subscribe to on and off, picking up a subscription for a month, watching the content that interested me, and then canceling for a while until more content came out that appealed to me. There are fewer services that I’d subscribe to year-round.

I came here to post exactly this. If it is just to watch reruns and movies there isn't that much of a necessity to subscribe to a service year-round. I expect prices for shorter subscriptions to go up when more people start to think and act that way.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
This is something I've been advocating on here for years. I've never understood subscription fatigue because I've always just picked a different service every month.

On Apple TV, you can manage all your subscriptions in the settings menu, so it's very easy. I click subscribe for something like Netflix then immediately click cancel. You are able to continue watching for the month you paid for but it will stop at the end of that month, so there's no need to remember. At that time I either subscribe again if I am in the middle of something or I pick a new one. Takes about 20 seconds/month of my time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see that "From Earth to the Moon" is being released on Blu-ray in July. I would think this is one HBO series that will be available to stream on this service come the 4th quarter.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am watching From the Earth to the Moon now on my SD DVDs .. I Hope to get it in Blu Ray .. I have Apollo 13 on DVD and watched the HD Format version on Netflix this past weekend the Difference was quite noticeable

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
This is something I've been advocating on here for years. I've never understood subscription fatigue because I've always just picked a different service every month.

Maybe not now.....but wait until these subscription services start to pick up on the way customers like you do this.....I guarantee you subscription services, like cable, will begin price gauging but have "Term Limits" (1 or 2 year plans) if you want to subscribe at a lower price. I see it coming.....they are already heading in the way cable and dish started.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Maybe not now.....but wait until these subscription services start to pick up on the way customers like you do this.....I guarantee you subscription services, like cable, will begin price gauging but have "Term Limits" (1 or 2 year plans) if you want to subscribe at a lower price. I see it coming.....they are already heading in the way cable and dish started.

Then I would cross that bridge when I come to it. Until then, carry on...

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Warner Media is doing a huge event next week at Madison Square Garden. They even have a truck going around NYC to advertise it...

E287F8D9-5B5E-407B-B120-73EE366136ED.jpeg 2502E10C-CE9D-4393-A9E9-808F7E125145.jpeg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I think there is so little value, outside of getting attention, in judging a service whose content and price hasn't even been announced yet.

Telling me Warner is positioning this as a premium service tells me all I need to know at this point. The nice thing about being a pessimist is that for any given prediction you are either right or pleasantly surprised. I will be pretty happy to be surprised. At a minimum they are all likely 'dead to me'., but we will see if they are dead on arrival for everyone.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Telling me Warner is positioning this as a premium service tells me all I need to know at this point.

A premium service in terms of content, not price, with 3 price tiers.

Everybody complained about Disney's service when it was first announced by saying they didn't want to sign up for just one studio, then when the price was announced they got excited about it.

I don't think you need to play the "at a minimum they are likely dead to me" card this early, Sam ;)

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have some concern, but the actual tier pricing and what is available on each tier will determine if I think it's going to be a hit or not.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
And now more details:

The head of AT&T says the service will probably be free to HBO customers, even if you get HBO through your cable provider.

It will also use a hybrid subscribe/advertising model to keep cost low, and they anticipate users in the tens of millions.

This looks to be a very different game then what we are used to.

As I said, it makes no sense to pass judgement until details are known...

https://deadline.com/2019/05/warner...chief-randall-stephenson-predicts-1202614801/

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Funny how he mentions Comcast, I hope they're as kind to their DirecTV customers as I get ready to pay my DirecTV/ATT bill.:)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Also:

1) Warner is pulling all content from other platforms like Netflix and Hulu

2) Warner shows will air on this service BEFORE airing on cable

Want to watch Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory, or Singin in the Rain? You don't have a choice, folks.

Pro tip: sell your Netflix stock. If Netflix finds itself left with only their original programming, that's not enough...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks