What's new

Warner working on Scorcese & Streisand box sets (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/07_12.html
In other Warner news, the studio has also begun work on extensive box sets celebrating the works of two of today's most critically and commercially successful filmmakers, Martin Scorsese and Barbra Streisand. The Scorsese collection will include five of the director's top Warner titles, including new special editions of Mean Streets, Goodfellas, After Hours and Who's Knocking at My Door?, while the Streisand set is slated to include such classics as Peter Bogdonavich's What's Up, Doc?, the Oscar-nominated Yentl, Nuts and the 1976 remake of A Star is Born. Both talents will be involved in their respective collections, and with production already underway, watch for more details to emerge next year. As always, stay tuned!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, this announcement takes care of two
of the most asked questions on this forum....

"When is a 2-disc set (or non-flipper) version
of 'Goodfellas' coming out?"

"When is 'What's Up Doc?' coming out?"

This is great news!

I am sure these discs will be available
as single purchases.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
This is the news I have been waiting for.

I'm wondering though if New York, New York, The King of Comedy, Raging Bull, (both with new SE's planned), will be included?

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Great news, especially about Goodfellas and After Hours. Don't know if I will replace Mean Streets, though.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Cept for Cape Fear and Bringing out the Dead, I have always held back on Scorsese titles... now I cannot wait.

I guess the only tricky addition to the box set would be King of comedy, cause that's a Fox title, but they gratefully allowed Wall Strret to cross in the Olly Stone box set.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
You can bet that Raging Bull and New York New York won't be in there since MGM never licenses anything for box sets. King Of Comedy is no longer Warner and now apparently belongs to Fox.
Jeff

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
There seems to be another thread somwhere, but in my previous thrad, I'd mentioned that I only had 2 Scorsese titles... I also have Taxi Driver and Age of Innocence of course.:angry:

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
This sounds wildly inaccurate to me. YENTL belongs to MGM and there's no way they'd participate in a boxed set with Warner (remember the Kubrick collection sans PATHS OF GLORY, etc.)?

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
YENTL belongs to MGM and there's no way they'd participate in a boxed set with Warner
In Europe, the original Kubrick Collection was originally planned with MGM's Paths Of Glory and The Killing (but without Killer's Kiss), but this release was canceled at the last moment because of complaints of the R1 Box quality.
Then again, the movies weren't in the remastered box, so maybe MGM-UK was 'corrected' by the mother company...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news on Goodfellas and What's Up Doc? I only hope that the original What's Up Doc (i.e., Bringing Up Baby) makes it soon.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore has got to be the 5th Warner title. It doesn't make sense releasing the box set without it.
I can't wait to get this box set & What's Up Doc too!

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
This sounds wildly inaccurate to me. YENTL belongs to MGM and there's no way they'd participate in a boxed set with Warner (remember the Kubrick collection sans PATHS OF GLORY, etc.)?
Roger,

Never underestimate Streisand's reach. The article indicates her involvement in this project. Since "Yentl" was a film she directed, I'm pretty sure if she want's it in the Warner box set...they'll find a way to work it out.

Seems that I remember back in the LaserDisc days someone from MGM at a Studio Day saying her control over "Yentl" was pretty tight.

We will see...

Regards,
Lee

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Didn't any of you buy VICTOR / VICTORIA ? The disc starts with a Warner logo, then opens with the original MGM logo. Most of MGM / UA's older catalog is now under Warner control on home video.

Sam Graves

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure if this is a mistake on their part, but Columbia House is accepting advance orders for What's Up, Doc? with a release date of September 3. For those of you that are Columbia House members, go check it out!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Anyone have anymore info on the Scorsese set? I've stopped buy Scorsese titles in case they show up in this set so any updates on what we can expect would be really appreciated!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks