Warner will they replace flippers with DVD9s

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Malcolm Cleugh, May 31, 2005.

1. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

I am referring to here the oldest Warner releases which when longer than a single layer DVD5 were released as flipper DVD10s, I guess because DVD9s were too expensive in the early days of DVD. Not the newer SE were the film is spread across 2 DVD9s like Gone with the Wind.

Will Warner ever release these as DVD9s. I thought they would be updated when Warner moved from snapper to plastic cases but in UK R2 anyway they are just a repackage of the old disks.

The ones I am most interested in are the John Grisham films Pelican Brief and Time to Kill (The Client fits on a DVD5 as its shorter), but I'm sure there are others.

I guess we will need to wait until HD-DVD although I would have thought these films would be prime titles for SE given the big fan base for the books and films.

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I expect they will eventually; most of these flippers have reappeared as 2-disc SEs and I would not at all be surprised to see the rest of them follow.

What Warner hasn't done is to revisit the many P&S only abominations that they released in 1998-1999. Not holding my breath on these.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I am losing my faith in DVD9, as I have discovered an alarming number of my older titles are now failing from rot - and I do know what rot looks like.

As Mark says, I do suspect any of the older titles will be revisited eventually. I don't know that I will trust any HD product for longevity if it uses a laminated production process.

4. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Goodfellas was one of those flippers that was rereleased as a 2 disc special edition. I am sure there will be others.