Warner: Why drop commentary tracks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Reis, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if anyone has heard any explanations from WB about why commentaries on The Swarm and Wolfen were dropped? Was it clearance issues, talent demanding more money, or a perceived lack of interest? It appears that one or both had already been recorded and were scrapped--it seems odd that Warner would dump them. I really hope we don't see the commentaries from the upcoming Amadeus, Singin In the Rain etc SEs start to evaporate when they get released.

I did recently read an article about a new documentary on Wilco that is coming out on DVD and a comment is made by the film's director that their "DVD distributor" says that commentary is the least-desirable extra. And hmmm...even though Wilco had a much-publicized split with WB-owned Reprise, I believe their new label is indeed a WB subsidiary itself. Is Warner souring on commentary tracks? Speaking only for myself I consider them by far the most substantial extra feature and would buy less discs I'm on the fence about if they lack commentary.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    WB should just not announce special features anymore until they have the DVD's finished.

3. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

WHV doesn't pay for commentaries so maybe it was people demanding money for them.

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Perhaps if we are willing to pay more $$$ for DVDs, the studios "might" possibly consider paying the "talent" for commentaries.

5. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

Anyone who requires payment for a commentary obviously isn't doing it because they have something to say, so what's the point?

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I'd say fair payment is reasonable for someone's time. How many units are they expecting to shift?

Commentaries are VERY desirable by me. Even the less interesting ones provide a good extra. Last night while I was updating my site I stuck on the Frequency director's commentary. Lots of gaps but that wasn't important as I had other things to do; when he did speak it was very interesting.