Warner - where are the Allied Artists and Monagram titles?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, May 30, 2006.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    A while back we were told that Warner took over the rights to the Allied Artists and Monogram titles. In general, Monogram (I think also Topaz) films have been released over the years by various public domain companies and some in excellent condition.

But it is the Allied Artists Sci-Fi and Horror films of the 1950s-1960s that I am hoping will come out soon. We got cheated by an unknown company using the AA logo with titles like "Attack of the Crab Monsters" and hoping to see legitimate copies of AA movies coming soon?

Eric

2. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    In the HTF chat with WB a couple of months ago, they indicated that we'll be seeing the AA flicks THE GIANT BEHEMOTH (1960) and QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE (1958) from them in the near future (though unclear as to whether this will be in 2006 or 2007).

In the same chat, Joe Karlosi also asked them about FRANKENSTEIN 1970 (1958) and ATTACK OF THE 50-FOOT WOMAN (1958), within a batch of titles that included some 1930s MGM horror classics. George Feltenstein said we'd see most of those soon, although I suspect he was specifically referring to the 1930s films, so the fate of those two AA titles is still unknown. I think some collected BOWERY BOYS films are in the offing, as well, if I recall their comments correctly.

I asked about the prospects for a couple of non-genre AA films WB controls, GOLD (1974) and SOLDIER IN THE RAIN (1963), and their answer suggested those were also in the works, with GOLD possibly in 2007. After several other members clamored for more AA titles from WB in the chat, I reinforced the motion in my turn/question, and Feltenstein & co said they were well aware of the fan/collector interest in that portion of the WB catalog.

And, though this is still in the realm of rumor, I've heard that Roger Corman has retained the official rights to both his Allied Artists sci-fi flicks, ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS and NOT OF THIS EARTH, and one or both may be imminent as part of the Buena Vista line of R1 Roger Corman DVDs (which mainly consists of 1970s New World films like DEATH RACE 2000, ROCK N ROLL HIGH SCHOOL, PIRANHA, etc).

3. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    I sure would like to know when some of these 'B' movie classics will hit the streets - with some waaaaay overdue!

Eric

4. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Warners is known to have two Monogram "series" in their pipeline (Bowery Boys and Charlie Chan). They're having trouble finding good prints though. That is probably the reason why so few titles from this studio have been released.

5. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    I know the Roan Group had put out an APB for Monogram films and were able to find good copies of many so don't see why Warner would have any problem with their clout.