What's new

Warner - When will "Around the World in 80 Days" & "The Great Race" come out on DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Arun Vajpey

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Warner own the video rights to old classics "Around the World in 80 Days" and "The Great Race" and both will look excellent on DVD. Does anyone have news on either release?
------------------
Arun Vajpey

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I can only assume that they're waiting for pan & scan versions of these 'family' films to be created.
furious.gif

------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Arun Vajpey

Stunt Coordinator
But Warner have always released their films in BOTH formats of a 2-sided disc and so, there should be no problem with widescreen versions. Well, I hope so, anyway.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert Harris has talked about 80 DAYS in a few threads, and what he has said is not encouraging. A lot of money would be needed to restore this film just to video, let alone to film (the latter of which I believe he said was not even possible anymore.) We now have to leave the decision of whether or not to bother to good ol' Warner Bros., not the studio you really want sitting in the driver's seat as far as restoration of classic titles is concerned. I am a tiny bit encouraged by its work with CITIZEN KANE, but one or two titles every year is not terribly promising. THE GREAT RACE may not require so much attention and therefore might see the light of DVD at some point. Let's hope Warner's catalog policies change soon!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Around the World... (1956) should never be released in P&S, given the fact that this was THE seminal Todd-AO film.
I still remember the oooh's and aaah's in the theatre when the main feature started and the curtains didn't seem to stop separating further and further...
And the first time, when the sound switched to your back in an obvious manner... (our little group of heros were looking at a dancing tribe and when the shot switched to show the group, we heard the music come from behind!!! - exclamation marks to be positioned in the past :)).
Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks