What's new

Warner Upcoming BDs in 2013! (1 Viewer)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Here's a bit of a tricky question - are there any current WB Blu-rays out currently that you would recommend holding off on getting in case WB does revisit them over the 90th anniversary? I'm especially wary of titles like Unforgiven and The Searchers since they seem likely, less so Mutiny on the Bounty or Adventures of Robin Hood.
I know it's hard to predict and difficult to answer, I'd just hate to wish list stuff for Christmas just to be asking for it again six months later with a new sound mix or improved image quality.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Did see both The Right Stuff and Giant on one of the HD channels and both looked great...more so with Giant since the dvd releases were not the best. As for The Magnificent Ambersons i do wish they will release it with Criterion since they did release years ago a good looking laserdisc with extras on it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Rick Thompson said:
Sorry, but I'm at the age (64) where I don't purchase stuff just to have it. I only get flicks that I enjoyed in the theaters or in some cases TV -- and I'm not interested in yet another release of Wizard or Gone. On the other hand, I'm glad for the folks who find some of their favorites on this list.
That's pretty much my position too. Also, I don't purchase BRDs just for the sake of upgrading. If the DVD is good and it's not one of my absolute all-time favorite movies, I'll pass unless the BRD is an astonishing improvement.
On the other hand, I do take Robert Crawford's point that we movie-lovers have to buy some of these BRDs to provide an incentive for more films to be released in high definition. From this list I will buy - assuming the BRDs are done properly - Easter Parade, Mrs Miniver, Grand Hotel and East of Eden. Easter Parade is the only one I have on DVD.

On their genre titles , they have released the Exorcist so many times too, Why not do a Blu Ray of Exorcist III - then I can unload my lousy snapcase version.
Id like to see Wait Until Dark,Cats Eye,Dreamcatcher & Eight Legged Freaks as well

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Yeah, I'm really hoping Warner will do a blu-ray upgrade for The Time Machine at some point, so I'm considering looking into some of these titles of the old films they ARE releasing and picking 2 or 3 to purchase, just to support old films on blu-ray. They will be blind buys for me, and I've honestly never heard of most of these titles (only they mainstream ones like Exorcist, Goodfellas, etc.). I just want to support the cause and hopefully will end up owning a few great films that I've never heard of out of the deal.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Given The Exorcist came out fairly recently, I have to believe it will be the existing transfer(s) as it's very solid and film-like; more likely new extras and packaging. Goodfellas, on the other hand, as others have said is crying for a new transfer and that will be a Day 1 purchase for me as it's one of my favorite movies.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I might be interested in a few of the titles on that list. What I would really love, though, is a new edition of Amadeus, with a new transfer (or "image harvest," I guess) and both cuts included, but they may be waiting for the 30th anniversary in 2014 for that.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
actually Freidkin has confirmed the Exorcist coming early 2013 is a new 4k harvest and looks better than the old transfer
"you know what she did ,Your **** daughter?"

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The Exorcist looked incredible last time, not sure why it needs another transfer (other than Friedkin wanting to stick back in that goofy Pazuzu head that got left out of the Director's Cut).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The current version of The Exorcist I believe is 2K, so this 4K transfer will no doubt yield better results as we've seen with other 2K to 4K upgrades. I have no problem upgrading this kind of title.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck /t/324776/warner-upcoming-bds-in-2013/60#post_4001209
I might be interested in a few of the titles on that list. What I would really love, though, is a new edition of Amadeus, with a new transfer (or "image harvest," I guess) and both cuts included, but they may be waiting for the 30th anniversary in 2014 for that.

I believe Amadeus is a situation where their distribution deal with the Saul Zaentz Company muddies the water re: how/when they can release it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The lack of a theatrical cut on BD is a travesty. The Director's Cut is really significantly different, and not for the better (except for that one brief moment with Mrs. Mozart :D).

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
yesterday it was announced that WB's would be releasing Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? on bluray so I would expect a US release as well.

I do want to see more classic actual WB titles being released for the 90th Anniversary. It seems like classic MGM titles get more talk than WB's.

Klute would be an awesome release.

as for The Excorcist I would re buy it with the brand new 4K transfer and it seemed like there was specualtion of more bonus features.

Goodfellas... what can we say WB's IMO have mistreated this title. We need a brand new scan and release on a 50GB disc for crying out loud! and DTS HD Master Audio sound. We also need more of Scorsese's titles like After Hours!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
willyTass said:
actually Freidkin has confirmed the Exorcist coming early 2013 is a new 4k harvest and looks better than the old transfer
"you know what she did ,Your **** daughter?"
I agree that the existing BD looks very good, but I would consider buying a new one from a new scan. While they're at it, maybe they'll restore the red-and-black WB logo and the jump-cut near the end to the original version. With the morphing effect incorporated into the director's cut, it seems a little weird to still have it in the original. I know it's subtle, but it's actually more distracting to me than the jump cut, because it just looks like it doesn't belong there. The original theatrical mono track would be a nice inclusion, as well.

Bryan, I totally agree! Those are the Exorcist fixes I would have suggested as well. Also, make sure that the color timing is true to the original.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was pretty happy with The Exorcist the first time around but I have admit that a 4K transfer, the original-original version (with the non-morph Karras shot, the original logo and the mono soundtrack) and some new extras would persuade me to rebuy it. Also, I think a few of the TV commercials or radio ads weren't ported over from the 25th anniversary edition DVD so I'd like to see them included as well.
Thanks for bringing up those minor points and getting me to spend more money, Bryan. :)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
TravisR said:
Thanks for bringing up those minor points and getting me to spend more money, Bryan. :)
No problem! And they are minor points; I feel a little guilty bringing up that sort of thing, when we get so much quality work from Warner. But like I said, while they're at it... :)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wonder if there'll be a Warner list for Blu-ray releases in 2014? Maybe not, as they were kicked in the pants a bit for this one, but so many classic Warner & MGM movies still needing a Blu-ray release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks