What's new

Warner Upcoming BDs in 2013! (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/324776/warner-upcoming-bds-in-2013/30#post_3995154

There are, by my count, the following WB owned titles left:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (1941)
Suspicion (1941)
Stage Fright (1950)
I Confess (1953)
The Wrong Man (1956)

I don't see these as being terribly high on Warner's priorities for films of the 40s-50s. I Confess is probably the only one I'd buy myself, but I'd put Suspicion or The Wrong Man as the best bet to make it out on Blu. Maybe if their MOD Blu-ray program gets up and running.

It would be sad if the Warners Hitchcock films were relegated to a MOD program instead of seeing a release in retail boxset like they were previously.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Russell G /t/324776/warner-upcoming-bds-in-2013/60#post_3995253

It would be sad if the Warners Hitchcock films were relegated to a MOD program instead of seeing a release in retail boxset like they were previously.
Agreed. As a 5 disc set this likely wouldn't sell much, but if they included the 3 titles already released with them...and maybe an added bonus title like Under Capricorn it would generate more interest.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
And then of the rest of the WB box set, 3 are on Blu (Dial M, Strangers and N by NW) and Foreign Correspondent is with Criterion now.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Russell G /t/324776/warner-upcoming-bds-in-2013/60#post_3995253

Blu-ray MODs would more than likely be pressed, though (BD-Rs are far too unreliable when compared to DVD-Rs), so it would mostly be just a matter of needing to order directly from Warner.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Do you have info on that Brandon or is that your speculation?
It's not really "Manufacture on Demand" if they are pressed discs, but I could see then doing very small runs of 500-1000 and doing it MOD style.
I thought that the reason BD MOD was waiting was to get the BD-R to be more reliable actually...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/324776/warner-upcoming-bds-in-2013/60#post_3995347
Do you have info on that Brandon or is that your speculation?
It's not really "Manufacture on Demand" if they are pressed discs, but I could see then doing very small runs of 500-1000 and doing it MOD style.
I thought that the reason BD MOD was waiting was to get the BD-R to be more reliable actually...

Just speculation due to general experience with BD-R media. It's the reality of the format. From a technical standpoint, BD-Rs with AACS (a primary BD copy protection) do not load on the Playstation 3 and a handful of other players. That alone would likely prevent them from being BD-Rs.

Then there are some BD players that don't play BD-Rs regardless.

Also, the design of the Blu-ray is reliant on the hard coating for scratch protection. The disc data is right on the surface and even more susceptible to damage than DVD-Rs. The cost of replacing customer's scratched BD-Rs would be far more pricey (as well as more common) than replacing customers DVD-Rs.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Suspicion on BD would seem like a natural. It's a highly enjoyable film with Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine and Nigel Bruce. I'll Confess (pun intended) that the others would only appeal to Hitch completists such as myself.

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
Billy Batson said:
So Warner, where are the westerns?
+1.
Any of these would be great :
Wayne :She Wore a Yellow Ribbon,3 Godfathers
Peckinpah : The Ballad of Cable Hogue,Ride the High Country,Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
The Naked Spur
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
The Westerner
The Lusty Men

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Yes, Warner Brothers, bring on the westerns.
Take advantage of the opportunity to reinstate the missing scene between Garrett and his wife into the director's workprint of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. Give us a nice new clean HD scan of the workprint as well.
And have the integrity to correct the wilfully mis-timed The Searchers, while you're at it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Richard--W /t/324776/warner-upcoming-bds-in-2013/60#post_3995850
Yes, Warner Brothers, bring on the westerns.
Take advantage of the opportunity to reinstate the missing scene between Garrett and his wife into the director's workprint of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. Give us a nice new clean HD scan of the workprint as well.
And have the integrity to correct the wilfully mis-timed The Searchers, while you're at it.
Please, let's not publicly question their integrity as that's rude behavior. Furthermore, last week in my conversations with Warner, I brought that title up along with Rio Bravo regarding the color and they're aware of what they have to do in the next BD releases.

Crawdaddy

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Oh well if we're doing a little list of westerns, here's 12 that just takes us up to the late 50's, winners all:
They Died With Their Boots On
Northwest Passage
Dodge City
Pursued
Three Godfathers
Colorado Territory
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
Wagon Master
Across The Wide Missouri
The Big Sky
The Naked Spur
The Last Hunt
I'm glad Warners are aware of the odd colour of The Searchers. I don't always agree with Richard--W & Hainshisway about colour (I think the DVD of She Wore A yellow Ribbon looks great), but The Searchers is wrong, & The Wild Bunch doesn't look as good as it should do. Warners have a huge list of films & although we're always grateful for what we get, we're never satisfied, but that's a good thing.
Oh, I've just noticed, no war movies on the list (apart from the silent The Big Parade). I hope Blu-ray (& me) stay around long enough for some of these films to get released.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Billy Batson said:
The Wild Bunch doesn't look as good as it should do.
Color timing is far from the only reason The Wild Bunch doesn't look its best on BD.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks for that Oliver, I thought I was on top of all the releases, but some are sneaking through.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Count me in for:
Driving Miss Daisy
Little Caesar
The Public Enemy
The Petrified Forest
White Heat
Enter the Dragon (40th Anniversary)(New Transfer?)
Goodfellas (New Transfer?)

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Joe Fisher said:
Enter the Dragon (40th Anniversary)(New Transfer?)
Goodfellas (New Transfer?)
If they aren't new transfers, I'll be letting the rotten eggs fly!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks