What's new

Warner, Uncle & Shaft (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Call me cynical but I have an uneasy suspicion that many of those who cry out for "classic" Golden Age movie titles don't actually buy them. They just like to complain :)
I have thought something similar or that they only buy them on 4 for $44 sales. So they complain why some b horror film is released and not all these classics but whenever a classic is released its oh great I will get it on the next 4 for $44 sale. Where on the flip side the b horror films will sell on release date at whatever the cost. Gee I wonder why Warner keeps releasing those instead of spending a fortune restoring classics that people only buy on 4 for $44 sales ;)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I'll take you somewhere else and say this:

Imagine in the classical music world, cds of unknown Salieri works being released, and no cds of Mozart's masterpieces or Beethoven's symphonies in the horizon.
Would it be whining, if someone pointed out this strange event?

my point is some things are not subjective, but objective, despite my, yours, his taste.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Call me cynical but I have an uneasy suspicion that many of those who cry out for "classic" Golden Age movie titles don't actually buy them. They just like to complain :)

Well there's a ton of Golden Age Classics that I wouldn't be interested in (& a lot I would be), & I do like the odd obscure choice (I never thought I'd get The Naked & The Dead), & it's great that Warner does a monthly release of old titles, no other studios do. But, I haven't bought anything since The Sea Hawk, so nothing so far this year, & I'm not hard to please, mainly 40s, 50s & 60s, I could write a hundred Warner wanted titles off the top of my head. So as usual, fingers crossed for the next announcements in a couple of weeks time.

...to be honest, I'm still waiting for that 2019 - punch the air & exclaim, at last!- title from anyone really, it's been quite a slow (region B) Blu-ray year for me so far.

I see I've started sentences off with both, but & so...creative writing.

Last edited:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I bought The Golden Arrow on Blu-ray because I believe in supporting WAC, but can honestly say its no prize. Ditto for 'The Prize' which was a regurgitation of plot elements Ernest Lehman used in North by Northwest. I've become more selective in my WAC purchases of late because I really want to see the studio get more bona fide classics out there. And as the fall approaches, WAC has done just that. Cannot wait for The Letter, The Jetsons, The Set-up, the farmed out 'Now Voyager', My Favorite Year. Already basking in the glories of Jezebel, None But the Brave, Merrill's Marauders, Moonfleet and so on. So, yes - WAC has diversified their palette of late. Really looking forward to beyond Sept. announcements. Some of the best stuff comes from WAC in Oct. and November. Here's to hoping.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I bought The Golden Arrow on Blu-ray because I believe in supporting WAC, but can honestly say its no prize. Ditto for 'The Prize' which was a regurgitation of plot elements Ernest Lehman used in North by Northwest. I've become more selective in my WAC purchases of late because I really want to see the studio get more bona fide classics out there. And as the fall approaches, WAC has done just that. Cannot wait for The Letter, The Jetsons, The Set-up, the farmed out 'Now Voyager', My Favorite Year. Already basking in the glories of Jezebel, None But the Brave, Merrill's Marauders, Moonfleet and so on. So, yes - WAC has diversified their palette of late. Really looking forward to beyond Sept. announcements. Some of the best stuff comes from WAC in Oct. and November. Here's to hoping.
While we obviously don't know for sure, I wouldn't count out December, either (I know I did last year, and then they surprised us with the likes of Popeye volume 1 and The Sea Hawk, and I had already spent whatever money I would have used to buy them at that time). I can only imagine what must be coming, considering their September lineup. Unless they haven't got everything up yet on wbshop, there are so few DVD releases coming for the month, I imagine they must have tied up a lot of their resources in trying to restore some of their movies/tv shows for Blu-ray for the remaining few months! So, definitely should be something to look forward to!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks