Warner to releases MGM musicals April 2003

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_M, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

According to talkinbroadway.com Warner Bros. is releasing a bunch of MGM musicals: "Broadway Melody of 1940," (starring Fred Astaire) "High Society," (Sinatra) "Kiss Me Kate," "Les Girls" & "Silk Stockings" (Fred Astaire) all in April.

"Fame" in July,

and Francis Ford Coppola's "Finian's Rainbow" (Fred Astaire)with no announced date

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    That's great. I'd also like to see Warner reissue Special Editions of some of the early (originally MGM) lackluster efforts like "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and "Brigadoon."

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

[c]FAME![/c]
    Boy, THAT puts a smile on my face! [​IMG]
    Now if it can only look better than Flashdance did. I'll be looking forward to this one. Thanks, that's welcome news. About to tell the missus...

4. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Great news! I'll definitely get High Society. The Philadelphia Story is much, much better, but I'm a Sinatra nut so it's a must-buy for me. Plus, it has Grace Kelly & Louis Armstrong, so it does have some high points to it.

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

very cool indeed about Fame and Finian's Rainbow, had no idea Fred Astaire is in it.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I'll probably be buying all of those.

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Count me in as another sucker for classic musicals...

Would LOVE to see some nice new transfers and HD downconversions (anamorphic of course) for 7 brides and brigadoon!!!

Also, Cabaret NEEEEDDS a new 16x9 transfer and restored multi-channel audio. Oh Please Warner PlEEEAAASSE.

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

dupe

9. Rain

Rain Producer

10. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

High Society was beautifully remixed into stereo for the laserdisc release. Unfortunately, the film element was very poor. Hopefully they've done some restoration work. On 7 Brides and Brigadoon, it would be great if they issued both the Cinemascope and "flat" - standard non-anamorphic 35mm versions on the same disc. The latter are not pan and scan but separately filmed using different cameras. I dont believe they were shot at different times as Oklahoma! was, however.

11. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Brigadoon is another film that was shot both scope and flat with two cameras - and how about all the extras that were on the laserdisc box set (three hours of recording sessions and three numbers cut from the film!). On number shot for the movie, There But for You Go I, has not been found.

12. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I'm there for FAME!

13. Sergio Angelini

Does anyone know if THE BAND WAGON is scheduled for release? the Laser Disc was excellent so hopefully there are good elements out there...

14. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

The HIGH SOCIETY DVD soundtrack will be in full stereo, unlike the LD, which has only the songs in stereo.

15. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

Sweeeeeet

16. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Its about time...oh, and hooray, by the way...
    now where the heck is MEET ME IN ST LOUIS
    and EASTER PARADE?

17. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Brigadoon and 7Brides were shot full frame ratios (Academy 1.37:1) and in Cinemascope. It could not have been done simultaneously, because the composition had to be rethought for each version. This is one reason the movie Brigadoon was criticized -- because the Cinemascope version was a disaster for the kind of dance they incorporated (too wide). When you look at Singin' in the Rain, during the "Good Morning" number, you have three people side by side, dancing the same step, and it's coherent to the audience. But in Cinemascope, say, for It's Always Fair Weather, you have three people dancing the same step, but they are so spread out, side to side, that the audience can't comprehend it -- it's like a three-ring circus -- where to look?

I would love to have these movies released in special editions with both versions, and as many cut scenes as can be found and assembled.

On a separate issue: Oklahoma! was also filmed twice, but in two separate widescreen processes -- Todd-AO (65mm film) and regular old Cinemascope (35mm anamorphic). The same scene was filmed in the morning with Todd-AO, and then in the afternoon with Cinemascope. Some say the Todd-AO version is superior (certainly the bigger film would make the picture superior) but others say the performances are better on the Cinemascope. Let's have a special edition of this movie from Fox, with the capability to watch the musical numbers simultaneously (they used the same pre-recorded track). AMC showed this, and you can see a part of one number in "The Sound of Movies," a documentary about Rodgers and Hammerstein, available separately on DVD.

18. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

My CAV LD of Meet me In St. Louis is about to wear out!

PLLLEEEASE give us a DVD Warner...and with the stereo soundtrack. I just get *shudders* thinking of how GORGEOUS this DVD could look given the steller classic films (singin' in the rain) we've received from the folks at WB.

And agreed. for all "dual" filmed movies...let's see some special editions with both versions presented in great new restorations/transfers/HD downconversions.

Funny. When Oaklahoma came out on LD it proudly bore the THX logo and was heralded a reference transfer. Funny how now watching it on DVD (along with South Pacific and King and I) it's almost embarassing to view the smeared colors, twitter from aliasing from SD master tape, and the lack of detail and resolution.

We've come a long way baby!

At least we have a new 16x9 Hello Dolly on the way. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

-dave

19. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

David,

Something I've discovered along the way, perhaps you already know it.

I found the DVD of Oklahoma! virtually unwatchable, because of constant flickering, jerky motion. But at some point, I realized that the movie was filmed in 30fps, and the DVD reflects this. On my RP-82, there is a video mode for watching 30fps sources, something akin to a 2:2 pulldown. When I turned this mode on, Oklahoma! suddenly calmed down, and was watchable.

It definitely needs a better transfer, anamorphically-enhanced. But I was able to solve a huge part of the problem with my hardware.

20. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

DeeF,

This is the first time I've heard that the Cinemascope version of Oklahoma! was superior to the Todd AO version! The consensus of opinions from critics and cast members is that the Todd AO film was better because by the time camera setups were made for the Cinemascope shooting, cast and crew were tired and even the lighting wasn't as good. Some sequences were shot simulataneously during the fiming - such as establishing shots and scenics. The only performance in both versions that is exactly the same is Rod Steiger's. (Even though he seems to have stepped in from another film). Also the Cinemascope verison has more camera angles in certain scenes, since the Todd AO Cameras available were limited.

An intersting tidbit on Oklahoma! in case you may not have heard it. The film was wanted by Cinerama, Inc. to be produced in the originaly3 camera/projector process in the 50s. That's one of the reasons they hired Mike Todd to produce "This Is Cinerama". He was very close to Rodgers and Hammerstein. However, when he bolted from Cinerama (his contract was bought out) and "invented" Todd AO, that was the first film to be shot in the 70mm process.