What's new

Warner title in a keepcase! What does this mean? (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
As we have recently found out, the Matrix Reloaded is being released in a keepcase! While this is good news for Matrix fans who prefer the keepcase, I would like to speculate on what it means for other DVD's from Warner. I would like to think that at the very least, if they don't lose any money on it, then they will re-relase the original Matrix in a keepcase. They will also probably start releasing other DVD's in keepcase, probably slowly at first. Eventually, like New Line, every new DVD will be released in a keepcase. Maybe they will even go back and start re-releasing old DVD's in keepcases, on a title by title basis. It will no doubt take a long time before all of their Major Blockbusters are available in keepcases.

I would like to suggest that once they start re-issuing DVD's in keepcases, that they setup a website where we could order keepcase inserts for DVD's we already own.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Simple. It's a two-disc set - that's why it's a keepcase. And since it's a title that's going to be very popular with rental stores, they went with the keepcase instead of their usual paper 2-disc packaging (Citizen Kane, Amadeus, et al).

DeeF

Screenwriter
I'd prefer it if all the studios went for ThinPak keepcases, which are less than half the width of the normal ones.

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
Simple. It's a two-disc set - that's why it's a keepcase. And since it's a title that's going to be very popular with rental stores, they went with the keepcase instead of their usual paper 2-disc packaging (Citizen Kane, Amadeus, et al).
if this were true, wouldn't the latest harry potter movie have been released in a keepcase as well?

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
They are using a keepcase for M:R because of the Warchawski(sp?) brothers insisting on it.

This is also not the first title released by Warner that is in a keepcase. BBC titles, such as Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, have been released in keepcases.

Other than the original Matrix being re-released in a keepcase, I'd bet a billion dollars that, as a normal matter of course, Warner will still keep using snappers.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
if this were true, wouldn't the latest harry potter movie have been released in a keepcase as well?
Perhaps they got a lot of feedback from retailers that the paper packaging didn't hold up well.

Or, as Kwang notes, perhaps the brothers W insisted on a keepcase via contract.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Another exception is WB using keepcases for My Big Fat Greek Wedding for their Canadian release. But I don't see them switching anytime soon...and it doesn't really matter to me.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
And since it's a title that's going to be very popular with rental stores, they went with the keepcase instead of their usual paper 2-disc packaging (Citizen Kane, Amadeus, et al).
Keepcase slicks have been provided to rental stores for quite some time now. Of course, they should have been selling them to the public as well. *sigh*

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Blockbuster had Panic Room in a keepcase for rental while only the thin paper one was available for sale to the public. That was Columbia, but I'd assume that rental places could receive different packaging for The Matrix Reloaded as well.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
They are using a keepcase for M:R because of the Warchawski(sp?) brothers insisting on it.
Do you know that for a fact, or is it just an educated guess. The only reason I ask, is because I find it very hard to believe that they would insist on a keepcase, yet at the same time allow a modified Pan & Scan version. Also, if they were that adament about keepcases, they would have also demanded a keepcase for The Matrix

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
They can package them in envelopes, for all I care. In fact, if they did put them in envelopes, they'd be easier to remove from the packaging!

All DVD packaging blows big time.

Charlie

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I realize what pics you're referring to, and I wasn't using those as any basis for what I'm saying. In fact, it never occurred to me to connect the two. Nor would the person who passed me the information have any probably awareness of those pics...that person doesn't hang out at online DVD sites.

T3 will be in a keepcase in R1, whether or not the reason behind it is a distribution-related reason.

You guys know me and my confidence in my sources. That's all I'm saying...it will be in a keepcase.

If it turns out later I'm wrong, then so what, I'm wrong. But I'm very confident in the information I was passed. I wasn't given a motivation for the use of the keepcase, nor did I decide to delve into it.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, but now the cases to the Matrix movies won't match when they're sitting on your shelf. Did they think about that!

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
screw matching, the spines dont all line up flush.. same with some of the hong kong dvds, like the duel, and returner. thats what pisses me off, i dont mind the case quality so much... i mean my HEAT is falling apart, but i can live with it.i'd say make the snap case dimensions identical.. on sides/edges, (ignoreing face depth) to that of the keepcases.

Lets not forget that Warner ownes the company (or has a controlling financial interest) that makes Snapper cases. So it is externally doubtful they will scrap the snapper for financial reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks