Warner title in a keepcase! What does this mean?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joshua Clinard, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    As we have recently found out, the Matrix Reloaded is being released in a keepcase! While this is good news for Matrix fans who prefer the keepcase, I would like to speculate on what it means for other DVD's from Warner. I would like to think that at the very least, if they don't lose any money on it, then they will re-relase the original Matrix in a keepcase. They will also probably start releasing other DVD's in keepcase, probably slowly at first. Eventually, like New Line, every new DVD will be released in a keepcase. Maybe they will even go back and start re-releasing old DVD's in keepcases, on a title by title basis. It will no doubt take a long time before all of their Major Blockbusters are available in keepcases.

I would like to suggest that once they start re-issuing DVD's in keepcases, that they setup a website where we could order keepcase inserts for DVD's we already own.

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Simple. It's a two-disc set - that's why it's a keepcase. And since it's a title that's going to be very popular with rental stores, they went with the keepcase instead of their usual paper 2-disc packaging (Citizen Kane, Amadeus, et al).

3. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I'd prefer it if all the studios went for ThinPak keepcases, which are less than half the width of the normal ones.

4. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'm betting it's another digipak case.

6. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

They are using a keepcase for M:R because of the Warchawski(sp?) brothers insisting on it.

This is also not the first title released by Warner that is in a keepcase. BBC titles, such as Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, have been released in keepcases.

Other than the original Matrix being re-released in a keepcase, I'd bet a billion dollars that, as a normal matter of course, Warner will still keep using snappers.

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

8. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

Another exception is WB using keepcases for My Big Fat Greek Wedding for their Canadian release. But I don't see them switching anytime soon...and it doesn't really matter to me.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

10. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Blockbuster had Panic Room in a keepcase for rental while only the thin paper one was available for sale to the public. That was Columbia, but I'd assume that rental places could receive different packaging for The Matrix Reloaded as well.

11. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard

12. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

They can package them in envelopes, for all I care. In fact, if they did put them in envelopes, they'd be easier to remove from the packaging!

All DVD packaging blows big time.

Charlie

13. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

T3 will be in a keepcase.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Dave, those pictures were from the R2, and T3 is a distribution production, NOT a WB original.

15. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Jeff, I realize what pics you're referring to, and I wasn't using those as any basis for what I'm saying. In fact, it never occurred to me to connect the two. Nor would the person who passed me the information have any probably awareness of those pics...that person doesn't hang out at online DVD sites.

T3 will be in a keepcase in R1, whether or not the reason behind it is a distribution-related reason.

You guys know me and my confidence in my sources. That's all I'm saying...it will be in a keepcase.

If it turns out later I'm wrong, then so what, I'm wrong. But I'm very confident in the information I was passed. I wasn't given a motivation for the use of the keepcase, nor did I decide to delve into it.

16. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

Yes, but now the cases to the Matrix movies won't match when they're sitting on your shelf. Did they think about that!

17. Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett Stunt Coordinator

screw matching, the spines dont all line up flush.. same with some of the hong kong dvds, like the duel, and returner. thats what pisses me off, i dont mind the case quality so much... i mean my HEAT is falling apart, but i can live with it.i'd say make the snap case dimensions identical.. on sides/edges, (ignoreing face depth) to that of the keepcases.

18. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

snapper cases should be banned in the US

19. WilliamJulien

Lets not forget that Warner ownes the company (or has a controlling financial interest) that makes Snapper cases. So it is externally doubtful they will scrap the snapper for financial reasons.

20. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Then why can't the company they own come up with something better?

Hmmm??

Dan