What's new

Warner: The Film Noir Classics Collection (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
gulp!...

i didn't realize this set was going to carry an unbelievable $49.95 srp?!
in that case, a definite purchase.

and is that the DVD Savant listed as one of the commentators?
wow.
July looks to be getting crowded with some major releases (for me at least).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This is a sweet set! Warners is breaking my bank book this year! (Marx Bros next month, than Tarzan, now this!)

Should we just go ahead and call them studio of the year?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
The Set-Up (1944) with a truly wonderful collaboration by Robert Wise and Martin Scorsese' audio commentary

:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
This sounds like a great set and I can't wait to get it. I've seen 4 of the 5 titles in the set, and they're all top notch and perfect examples of their genre.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Has anyone found a site to preorder yet? I used to find everything on DVD Price Search, but they often don't list things until well after I find the item listed by individual vendors (e.g. Amazon).

I've been waiting for Asphalt Jungle for a long time.

Doug

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
If the Pepsi girl were still around today, I'm sure she would request: "AND NO SNAPPERS!" I think only Regal Cinema goers will get that.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Those are all good movies, but Out of the Past and Murder, My Sweet are so totally mine on release day :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Knowing nothing of these titles, I imdbed all 5, and they were all rated higher than 7.5. I know some don't think much of imdb, but it has been a good indicator of quality to me so far.

--
H

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Asphalt Jungle and Out of the Past have been among my most wanted titles in quite a while. I haven't seen the others yet, but the box set is definitely worth buying.

I wish White Heat (another title I have been patiently waiting for) was a part of this box-set, but it clearly belongs in the Cagney box-set that Warner has been planning.

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
Took me years of therapy to get over that Jake; thanks for sending me back into regression :wink:

Seriously though, Warners is doing amazing stuff this year; can't wait for the "That's Entertainment" set...

Jeffrey

>If the Pepsi girl were still around toady, I'm sure she >would request: "AND NO SNAPPERS!" I think only Regal >Cinema goers will get that.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I've been dreaming about a release of Kings Row. What a picture. We need more Ann Sheridan on dvd.
And of course, the Film Noir Box Set is all mine. Thanks again Warner.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Press release:

FIVE OF THE HARD BOILED GENRE'S GREATEST HITS IN...

THE FILM NOIR CLASSIC COLLECTION

The Asphalt Jungle, Murder My Sweet, The Set Up, Out of the Past, Gun Crazy

All New DVDs Digitally Remastered for their Warner Home Video DVD Debuts

Burbank, CA (April 14, 2004) -- Murder is for keeps and happy endings are for saps when Warner Home Video (WHV) introduces The Film Noir Classic Collection on July 27th -- all-new DVD titles including John Huston’s The Asphalt Jungle, Murder My Sweet, The Set Up, Out of the Past and Gun Crazy. Titles will be available in both a five-disc set, for $49.92 SRP, or individually for $19.97 SRP.

The DVDs feature commentaries from directors Robert Wise and Martin Scorsese and actor James Whitmore as well as other film noir experts Alain Silver, Jim Ursini and Glenn Erickson.

Film Noir: Shadows. Lies. Private Eyes.

The term "'Film Noir" was first used by French critic Nino Frank in a 1946 essay in which he singled out Murder My Sweet as a quintessential noir film. Francois Truffaut and Jean-Luc Godard later popularized the genre with their "Nouvelle Vague" films of the 1960s. Eddie Muller, author of three acclaimed books on Film Noir, says, "For many movie-lovers, Noir is all about style: kanted camera angles, dense shadows, a romantic, doom-laden atmosphere, always in shimmering, high-contrast black and white. In truth, that's what most people think of as Noir - rain-slick streets, guys in fedoras, dames in slinky gowns slipping into glistening Packards… Film Noir is the flip side of the all-American success story. It's about people who realize that following the program will never get them what they crave. So they cross the line, commit a crime and reap the consequences."

The WHV Film Noir Classic Collection

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) Nominated for four Academy Awards and long considered a noir classic, John Huston’s heist film about a million-dollar jewelry store burglary stars Sterling Hayden, Louis Calhern, James Whitmore and features an early appearance by Marilyn Monroe in just her seventh film. The DVD bonus material includes an introduction by John Huston, commentary by USC Cinema History professor Drew Casper with James Whitmore and the theatrical trailer.

Murder, My Sweet (1944) Starring Dick Powell and Claire Trevor, the film captures perfectly the sharp wit and style of Raymond Chandler’s novel Farewell, My Lovely, about a gumshoe Philip Marlowe searching for a missing moll named Velma. Renamed so American filmgoers wouldn’t mistake it as a Powell musical; it turned the actor’s career around, helping him to shun his choir-boy image. Edward Dmytryk directed. The DVD extra content includes commentary by film noir expert and Prime Suspects producer Alain Silver and the theatrical trailer.

The Set-Up (1944) Robert Wise directs noir icons Robert Ryan and Audrey Totter in the movie, set in boxing’s palooka world, about a down-on-his luck fighter who thinks he’s one bout away from the big payoff. The DVD bonus material includes commentary by Robert Wise and Martin Scorsese.

Out Of The Past (1947) Another definitive noir classic (remade in 1984 as “Against All Odds” with Jeff Bridges and Rachel Ward) about a trio to reckon with – a troubled PI (Robert Mitchum), a drop-dead beauty (Jane Greer) and a moneyed mobster (Kirk Douglas). Mitchum plays Jeff Bailey, the private eye hired to find mobster Whit Sterling’s (Douglas) mistress Kathie (Greer) who had shot Whit and absconded with $40,000. The film winds up in Acapulco…where the luscious Kathie makes Jeff forget all about Sterling. The DVD extra content includes commentary by film noir expert Jim Ursini.

Gun Crazy (1949) Peggy Cummins and John Dall star in this cult favorite, shockingly dark and brutal for its time, directed by Joseph H. Lewis. A searing forerunner to Bonnie and Clyde, the film tells the story of a gun-obsessed twosome who meet at a carnival, run off to get married and then commit a string of daring robberies across the country. The screenplay was adapted by MacKinlay Kantor from his magazine article and was co-written by the blacklisted Dalton Trumbo, credited under the name Millard Kaufman. The DVD bonus material includes commentary by film noir expert Glenn Erickson.

The Film Noir Classic Collection

$19.97 SRP (per title)

$49.92 SRP (collection)

Street Date: July 27, 2004

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
$49.92 SRP? Probably available for >$40 street. Wow, I would have thought higher but then, the younger crowd won't even watch B&W (my two older kids won't). Great price. I will put this on my buy list for sure.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
That's an amazing price. I've only seen the great Out Of The Past, but at that price I'll definitely buy the whole box.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD Times has now added the artwork for the titles and the interesting news that Warners are now calling it 'Volume 1', which pre-supposes more volumes on the way!

Link here.

---
So many films, so little time...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
WOW!

these look gorgeous!
and more keepcases, too.

i think we know who's gonna get studio of the year again in 8 months :)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
(an extra bonus - they aren't in snappers) :)

Call me crazy, but I guess I would have preferred B&W covers - regardless, the important thing is the insides, and in the capable hands of WHV my expectations are considerably high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks