What's new

Warner: Thank you for the classics on Blu-ray, but....... (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I am in complete and total agreement with you here. It would be one thing if these set sported exclusive worthwhile content (read as new, HD extras) as opposed to reproduction lobby cards and recycled SD DVD extras, but as it stands I have no interest in such things.

I'd even pay a slight premium for stand-alone releases of A-list classics. But there's no way I'm paying $60 for them when I'm balking at $23 as it is.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I completely agree with you, Robert. I have yet to purchase Casablanca, although it is one of my favorite films. I have no use for all the extras, and will not pay for such a package. The Wizard of Oz and Gone With The Wind would also be release-day purchases for me if they were offered in a standard priced package, but I will not buy them as currently marketed.

My current SD-DVD copies will suffice on these titles until WB offers a more reasonably priced package. If WB never offers such a package, then I will never buy these titles on BD.

John_S

Stunt Coordinator
Count me as in agreement also- I don't want all the extra "goodies", and will buy all of these as soon as a "normal" release happens. I just hope that Warner doesn't gauge interest of classics on Blu-ray based on sales of the "Ultimate Collectors Editions".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just think it's unfortunate that many classic film consumers, who have BR players won't be buying these titles on Blu-ray for a variety of reasons while a few of us are able or willing to do so. I'm afraid the forum discussion of these CE releases will be limited here just like it was with Casablanca BRD releases because of few purchases from HTF members.

IMO, the best scenario for many of our membership is to have two BR releases of the same great title at once with a CE and one with a single disc.

zackscott5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Zack Scott
unfortunately with the state of today's economy, fewer people are forking over the cash for really super duper editions. especially compared to the advent of DVD where we were buying a couple new discs every week. I will be buying the Gone with the Wind edition when it comes out on Blu-Ray eventually...maybe not on release day but I will. But looking at the current classic and big franchise releases (planet of the Apes, Dirty Harry, Batman) where you fork over almost $100.00 or more for these titles for the compete collection at this time is not economically feasible for the common consumer. Maybe these Blu Ray releases are now going to be the Laserdisc of the 21st century where only a small percent of the population will purchase them and would pay the high price.

HOwever on that note, when the Uber collections of Star Wars, Back To the Future, Lord of the RIngs, The Godfather, GOne With The Wind etc came out on DVd they were priced very high (I Think I Paid $80.00 for the Godfather collection when it first came out on DVD) Maybe the price of these Blu Rays will go down eventually. Patience is a virtue.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

You know, I'm really getting to the point where I don't need any extras. I watch too many movies and don't have enough time for them anyways. If studios started releasing Special Editions at $34.95-$39.95 and movie only editions at $19.95-$24.95 then I'd be a happy camper.

I just wonder if the downside of us saying we won't buy them might lead to poor sales where someone will ask what's the point of releasing classics at all. If sales on classic titles are already low then people boycotting these high prices might do more damage but at this time I can't worry about that. Especially when Warner releases six and seven movie box sets at a lower retail price.

I have every box Warner released with the exception of a few over the past couple years because they were the best deals out there. These prices just aren't reasonable considering I just want the movies.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
As much as I would like to upgrade some of my classic film dvds to BR, I won't do it until the price comes down. I hate to say it, but these days, $20 is about what I am willing to pay for something that I want. If WB can get out a simpler version on BD of these classics, then I'll buy. Of course, sometimes there is an exception. Every once in a while, I pay more for something that I really want. But, I would never pay $40 or more for one movie. The "big box full o' junk", as Ethan calls it, has no appeal to me.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I feel the same way. At first on DVD I gobbled up the special features. But after watching them on hundreds of movies (if not more), I just can't be bothered anymore. I'd rather spend those hours watching something else. Or even getting away from the TV.

As for the special packages, it's the same thing. I have a few at home. And they're packaged up, sitting in a closet gathering dust. I'd love to pick up Casablanca, but I'm not paying for all the bonus stuff. It's not even a question of cost. I just don't want anymore big, bulky packages sitting around. I already have space issues. I just don't have the space for this kind of stuff anymore.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

I try to make time for the bonus features, but my experience lately has been that most of them are fluff and generic. There are exceptions of course, but a lot of times I'm feeling that I might as well have gotten the cheaper release, if there's one available.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Add me to the agreement list. It's not the money, it's the principle: the extras are fine for those who want them, but I'm not one of them. I'm really only interested in a top-notch presentation of the feature film, which I would buy whether it comes in a nice box or a paper bag. The other factor is that I simply don't want these bulky things eating so much shelf space.

As one who buys almost exclusively pre-1960 films (and mostly pre-1950 at that), I am eager to add them to my collection when they are given a "normal" release. But not until...my standard DVDs will do very well till then. As others have said, please don't interpret non-purchase as non-interest...there is plenty of interest in a product presented without all the geegaws!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I couldnt say it any better, than all the rest of you.

Give me the movie in a plastic case, with the best AV experience possible. I dont need a book, toys, or pictures that i cant put on the shelf with the disc. Extras have rarely been the same since the days of LD, with exceptions, of course!

The 5 disc Blade Runner is the perfect SE, even if only a dozen movies ever made would need 5 discs, its still the SE to beat.

And i didnt buy the briefcase version.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Hopefully Warner reads more than just this one thread because if you look around there are many sites with message boards lighting up with people saying they're not going to buy them.

It has been mentioned on these other sites but I hope classic sales aren't so low that studios need these ultra-high prices just to make some of their money back or try to get more money out of the fans.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
They are, and they do. That's exactly why we are getting oft reprinted/remastered/re-released titles in high msrp 'deluxe' editions. The classic movie buyer is a small lot...the classic movie buyer who will double or triple dip after already getting the uber deluxe set is a still smaller sub set, and the classic movie (re)buyer on Bd is smaller still. The only way you make money in this situation is to put out a package loaded up with cheap to produce paper and plastic crap and then inflate the msrp 3 times. Yes you will sell less than if you had a regularly priced version...but if they sell 1/3 the amount they still come out ahead because of things like lower inventory to stock/deal with, lower production cost, etc etc.

I'm quite disappointed I won't be owning any of these this year either...but then again Blu-ray is being awful kind on my budget as there are so many releases I'm coming to realize I don't need to immediately own. In fact, for the first time since I started buying DVDs (2000), I'm not buying one piece of media, DVD or Bd, until June...unless there is a killer sale that makes the net cost at least 40% off. So far there hasn't been anything I've seen worth jumping on, and if DD doesn't have another good sale this summer it may be even longer before I snap out of this stupor.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Again, as this recession deepens, you have to wonder about Warner's strategy here because even if that was their goal, their forecasted sales could be more negatively affected by discretionary income becoming less for most people now a days.

Here is an interesting article about falling Blu-ray prices at retailers because people are just not buying enough titles at those previous pricepoints.

Blu-ray prices drop at retail - 3/13/2009 - Video Business

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Please don't discourage Warner Bros from dropping ALL the extras, like the feature-length docs and the commentaries and trailers. What I think the (nearly unanimous) consensus of this thread is trying to say is, "Most of us do not need the fancy packaging and lobby cards and souvenir programs and talking heads documentaries that are only peripherally about the movie they come with (disc three of CASABLANCA, for example)". Your BLADE RUNNER set established your studio as one which can do a spectacular job presenting a classic with tons of related extras and still keep the price very reasonable. May we see that side of your home video division for future classic releases, please?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
This here was posted over at IMDB but I'm not sure what the real source is or if it's real or not:

Warner Brothers is repricing the following Blu-Ray titles @ $16.99 SRP on 04/07/09. So look for them to be on sale at the usual places (Amazon, Tower, Best Buy) in the $10 range.

Lethal Weapon
Scooby Doo: The Movie
The Searchers
Battle of the Bulge
Out for Justice
Purple Rain
Otis
Omega Man
Eyes Wide Shut
Body Heat

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's confusing why Blade Runner would get both "just the discs" and "loaded" releases, yet Casablanca costs as much as three of the Kubrick BluRays.

I'd have it in my collection if it were sensibly priced like Robin Hood and 2001, with the option of just a regular disc-only release.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Blade Runner was a catalog title that had never had a loaded release. And being a prominent sci-fi title, it had realistically wider appeal than 40's era classics (that have had multiple loaded DVD releases already). Blade Runner could more likely justify a lower margin release thru higher volume, the others can't- hence the shorter run higher margin releases.
Funny that I considered it a privilege to be able to get Casablanca on a Criterion LD for $100 (in 1991 dollars, during arecession) yet I balk at owning a 'deluxe' HD version of other favorite titles for $60.
I guess the real difference is that the LD at the time was extraordinarily special (both in content and form) and here the Bd is merely a nicer version of something I already own.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
My biggest problem with the collector sets is that I can't set them on the shelf with my other titles. It wouldn't be so bad if the movie came in a regular case that was in the big box. Having said that ideally there would be the deluxe set with all the physical extras (book, lobby cards, poster, etc) and then a disc only set that had the movie and extras on the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks