Warner talks with HTF about their 90th Anniversary

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
ahollis said:
Lets not forget SHOWBOAT.
Especially since Warner seems to have.

Count me in for the aforementioned The Band Wagon. It's my favorite MGM musical. Seeing the Girl Hunt in high definition would be a wonderful Christmas present on Warner's part...

Reactions: Matt Hough

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Escapay said:
Count me in for the aforementioned The Band Wagon. It's my favorite MGM musical. Seeing the Girl Hunt in high definition would be a wonderful Christmas present on Warner's part...
...if you've never seen Cyd Charisse sliding across the ground of a New York subway station, from screen right to screen left, attaching herself to Fred Astaire's legs (in a somewhat revealing vailed dress)...you ain't seen nothin'...

...just kidding...it's a wonderful moment...

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Edward Weinman said:
...if you've never seen Cyd Charisse sliding across the ground of a New York subway station, from screen right to screen left, attaching herself to Fred Astaire's legs (in a somewhat revealing vailed dress)...you ain't seen nothin'...

...just kidding...it's a wonderful moment...
For me, its that moment in the smoky bar, when she opens the coat, and you are blinded by that red dress.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
David Weicker said:
For me, its that moment in the smoky bar, when she opens the coat, and you are blinded by that red dress.
David, there are so many remarkable moments in this whole film...not to mention the great orchestrations, the remarkable MGM Studio Orchestra. and all that went into the production...

I hope WB is listening (or, reading)...

Reactions: Robin9

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Escapay said:
Especially since Warner seems to have.
You're right about that! How many years have we been waiting for that Show Boat box set of the three films? Yes, I still have my laserdisc box of the three (thank goodness), but it's incredible to realize that the first two versions never got a single DVD release, and the 1951 version never got any kind of Ultra-Resolution or remastering (I seem to remember colored reel change markers in the snapper case DVD that I have).

Reactions: dana martin

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Warner---Now is the time to release-----THE GREAT RACE-----RYANS DAUGHTER------WIND AND THE LION----LOCAL HERO.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Mr. Gregorich speaks with justified pride and excitement about the synergies possible via the combined Warners and Paramount libraries. So I cannot think of a more übercool showcase than a 'definitive' George Pal tribute set. I mean, WB now has:

When Worlds Collide
The War of the Worlds
The Naked Jungle
The Conquest of Space
Tom Thumb
The Time Machine
Atlantis, the Lost Continent
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm
The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao
The Power
Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze

...plus a whole bunch of Paramount animated shorts.

If you make something like that big enough and inclusive enough (à la Universal's Hitchcock set) forget the niche appeal of any individual items, the core collector market - worldwide - won't be able to part with their cash fast enough.

And I've been a very good boy this year Santa... ;)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
ROclockCK said:
Mr. Gregorich speaks with justified pride and excitement about the synergies possible via the combined Warners and Paramount libraries. So I cannot think of a more übercool showcase than a 'definitive' George Pal tribute set. I mean, WB now has:

When Worlds Collide
The War of the Worlds
The Naked Jungle
The Conquest of Space
Tom Thumb
The Time Machine
Atlantis, the Lost Continent
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm
The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao
The Power
Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze

...plus a whole bunch of Paramount animated shorts.

If you make something like that big enough and inclusive enough (à la Universal's Hitchcock set) forget the niche appeal of any individual items, the core collector market - worldwide - won't be able to part with their cash fast enough.

And I've been a very good boy this year Santa... ;)
Warner needs to stop dragging its feet on releasing the catalog it has access to.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
In fairness, some of these titles likely do not have HD masters yet (at least 4 are currently in the Warners Archive on DVD only). But my larger point was that WB has a rare opportunity to create some unprecedented, collector-targeted box sets here.

And let's face it, those who would be most enthusiastic about seeing George Pal taken to Blu-ray, wouldn't just want some of his pictures, they'd want them all.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Not really sure I'd want all of them bundled together .... Tom Thumb? No thanks :)

But they could definitely whack the following into a sci-fi four pack and be guaranteed of decent sales, if only on name recognition, if not due to the existing fan base:

The TIme Machine
The War of the Worlds
When Worlds Collide
The Conquest of Space

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Yeah, even Tom Thumb Persianimmortal. Actually, I haven't seen that one at all since a my youth. But all of Pal's pictures had their moments...his impish, avuncular, old world charm was always there in the details.

Actually, I saw The Naked Jungle on DVD recently, and was rather surprised by not only how well it held up in terms of story and character, but also the apparently fine state of its surviving Technicolor elements. Not widescreen, but otherwise well-transferred.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Ron or anyone else,
Any word on a remaster for Goodfellas? I was hoping we would see that sometime this year. Thanks.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
ROclockCK said:
Yeah, even Tom Thumb Persianimmortal. Actually, I haven't seen that one at all since a my youth. But all of Pal's pictures had their moments...his impish, avuncular, old world charm was always there in the details.

Actually, I saw The Naked Jungle on DVD recently, and was rather surprised by not only how well it held up in terms of story and character, but also the apparently fine state of its surviving Technicolor elements. Not widescreen, but otherwise well-transferred.
I totally agree about "Naked Jungle". Both Heston and Parker are as sexy as all get-out too, which doesn't hurt. Their combined chemistry is really something.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Dave H said:
Ron or anyone else,
Any word on a remaster for Goodfellas? I was hoping we would see that sometime this year. Thanks.
Total guess on my part, but I would think if Warner were to decide to do a new 4K master with a Blu-ray release they'd aim for 2015 and the film's 25th Anniversary.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I have been hoping that we would here something about Warner revisiting The Searchers and Rio Bravo.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro