What's new

Warner talks with HTF about their 90th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I think that Warner Brothers was one of the best if not the best of the studio tours. They made us feel like part of their family. I told that to one of the women that was there (sorry I don't remember who she was) and she gave me a big hug.
I really enjoyed the documentary Warner Brothers Tales from the Lot.

Trentrunner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent Mumford
I'm unclear. How can they be "working on" Easter Parade when I just bought it? What else needs to be done to it? 3D?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Warner Bros. has always been my favorite studio and lot, and while I'm beyond disappointed with the 90th Anniversary announcements so far, I LOVE the idea of the doc without film clips. Can't wait to see that!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by JohnMor /t/325992/warner-talks-with-htf-about-their-90th-anniversary#post_4014045
Warner Bros. has always been my favorite studio and lot, and while I'm beyond disappointed with the 90th Anniversary announcements so far, I LOVE the idea of the doc without film clips. Can't wait to see that!

We saw the first half of it, and it really was interesting and quite different from the usual documentary centered on a specific studio.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
After we got back from LA, I started listening to the Warner Archive Podcast. I'd highly recommend adding to your iTunes and regular playlist, especially for anyone who enjoyed the documentary on the lot. One of the small tidbits from last week's episode was that Superboy (the series) is going to be finished up in 2013.

I probably should have been listening before the trip-I knew the name George Feltenstein beforehand, but putting a voice, name and face together is a huge plus for me-but I'm on board now.

(PS-super thanks for our gifts. When I told my boss about the trip, he started dancing at work at Singin' in the Rain. He was flabbergasted I had never seen it. Now, I don't have any reason not to see it!)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
WB can save some money if they would stop wasting their time replacing all their original opening logos and replacing them with the brand new CGI version. Received my Warner Archive of Deathtrap today on BLU and they wasted time by adding the new logo. For a studio who wants to celebrate their 90th they want to erase their past logos.
I don't want to sound 100% negative so I will say the transfer looks wonderful and Deathtrap is a great BLU release. Available thru amazon now!

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I enjoyed the visit to Warner Bros and thought they were beyond generous with the free swag they gave us.
While the discussion at the theater was nice, my favorite part was seeing the work in progress at MPI. We got to actually sit and talk to the person working on cleaning up East of Eden. I am sorry that I do not remember her name. Hopefully someone will chime in with it as she deserves a lot of credit. But it was really nice of the folks at MPI to take the time to talk to us at their workplace. I know it had to be a pain having us swarm the place for a couple of hours.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
WB is one studio that cares - not only about restoration and preservation, but about their stars, and their fans. The documentaries and tours (loved the studio lot doc) they presented were enthralling, and the enthusiasm exhibited by the likes of George Feltenstein is infectious.
The restoration efforts are painstaking but the results are well worth it. No wonder Paramount has signed Warner up to release catalogue material. Also very interesting to hear that Wizard of Oz has been been through several restorations as technology and home video technology has improved over the last 20 years.
Joe

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, if Warner did care about preservation then they wouldn't go changing the opening studio logos! I don't buy releases where I know that's been done to them.
I usually laugh at this point whenever "The Wizard of Oz" is reissued and it says "Newly restored!" as that's what ever release since 1989 has said. It is fun to compare the latest version with my 1981 CED videodisc copy.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Jesse Skeen said:
Well, if Warner did care about preservation then they wouldn't go changing the opening studio logos!
I am hoping that when ARGO comes out next year, it will contain the red/black/white Saul Bass logo, as obviously Ben Afflick specifically requested it open his movie. If, instead, I see the usual g*&^%mn clouds behind WB shield on that one, I'll return it.

Dave Whipps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Whipps
This was truly one of the highlights of the week.
The folks at WB are fantastic and true movie fans. They really take pride and love what they do.
Meeting the folks at MPI and having them show us what they do was a rare treat that most of the public doesn't get. It's really hard to describe how much effort, love and talent that goes into film restoration. The results are so worth it and it shows in the final product. There are some great movies coming our way from Warner Brothers. Some of their upcoming collections will likely be in my home theater.
I also enjoyed the presentation and the clip from the Clint Eastwood documentary. It was well done and made me realize I had forgotten just how much Clint Eastwood has given us from acting to directing.
Finally - Happy Birthday Warners Brothers! The film about the backlot is special. Thanks for the opportunity to view this.
Dave Whipps

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Dick said:
I am hoping that when ARGO comes out next year, it will contain the red/black/white Saul Bass logo, as obviously Ben Afflick specifically requested it open his movie. If, instead, I see the usual g*&^%mn clouds behind WB shield on that one, I'll return it.
Did Argo open with the Saul Bass logo? If so I think it will be intact. magic Mike opened with the Saul Bass Logo and I love that logo but still don't understand why Soderbergh wanted it, ESP for a current time period film.

captgoodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russell
Before I comment on the event, I must express my thanks to Mr. Jeff Baker for taking valuable time from his schedule to meet with us. I understand this is a rare situation and we all truly appreciate the time you gave us.
Mr. Baker, you also mentioned you rarely get feedback from the consumers about the packaging of the products that you have developed. Let me tell you, this consumer loves it.
Watching the clip of the Warner Brothers Studio documentary was great. It was one of the highlights of the entire week for me.
The MPI portion was also specifically enjoyable to me. While on this part of the tour, I was able to meet with lady (I’m sorry, I too forgot her name and tried to make an effort to remember it) responsible for no less than three color restorations of The Wizard of Oz. This film is a beloved classic that my family made a point to watch together when I was growing up. That was when there was no home video release so you could only watch it was once a year. Because of that, I made a special point to thank her for her efforts.
VERY generous gifts from the studio as well. Thanks again.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Dick /t/325992/warner-talks-with-htf-about-their-90th-anniversary/30#post_4014407

Just out of curiosity, who will you return it to? No B/M store I know of will let you return opened media for anything but the same title.

It would probably be better to wait for the reviews to come in next year and ask the question before buying the disc.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Did anyone happen to ask if Warner will be doing any work on the titles they are getting from Paramount? Or are they just re-marketing the original releases?

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I'm curious if the Tales from the Lot will be released separately from the box sets. Nice as the boxes are, I already have too many of the movies offered to double dip, but would still like the doc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks