1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

WARNER - Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut Still Needs NR R1 Release!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Pyle, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle Second Unit

Doug
    The Kubrick series was so much improved with the last release, but for one very serious oversight. Eyes Wide Shut is still 'censored' or obscured during the orgy scenes. The unrated, un-'censored' version needs to be available in R1 as it is in other regions.
    If WB does not release the unrated version, an option would be to license this to Criterion who will respect the integrity of this film.
    However it is done, Kubrick's legacy to the art of filmmaking still has not been done justice. The digitized 'people' blocking the orgy scenes do a great injustice to Kubrick's film art. Please release it as intended - without the digitized obstructions to this pivotal scene.

2. Raymond Johnson

Raymond Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Count me in as well.
    I still have yet to add this to my collection,as much as i would like to..but WB is keeping me from that since only the censored version is on dvd.....meanwhile every other country in the world is able to veiw the uncut version,yet we can't?

3. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

Warner, now that we're no longer in the 90's -- please release Eyes Wide Shut without the digital obscurements.

4. Donald W

Donald W Stunt Coordinator

damm a Criterion Eyes DVD would be cool because they would add extras to it that WB would never do

5. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

Add me to the list of people who refuse to buy this movie until it gets a proper unedited release. Even though I've been tempted a number of times, because I did love it in the theater!

6. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

My Kubrick Collection still isn't compleate because of Eyes. Warner Please release this Unedited.

7. Rain

Rain Producer

I'd definitely buy a copy of the uncensored film.
    Not very optimistic though. [​IMG]

8. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Ever since hearing that those digital people were placed to get an R rating I have wanted an unrated version, and the more time that goes by the less likely it seems.

However, put me down for one.

9. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Come on WB. Do whats right, and give Region 1 Eyes Wide Shut UNCENSORD.[​IMG]
    L

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I thought I would resurrect this thread in light of the fact that Warner Brothers Home Video is releasing an unrated director's cut of Tony Scott's "True Romance" on September 24th. Since there is apparently no longer a stigma or policy preventing the release of unrated material by WB, it seems like a great opportunity to revisit "Eyes Wide Shut" and release it in R1 in the form that Stanley Kubrick originally envisioned it before it was altered posthumously. I promise not to complain about buying it for a third time. [​IMG]
    Regards,

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It's up to the producers of Eyes Wide Shut, not WHV. They have already stated that they don't deal with NC-17 (True Romance is an exception...Morgan Creek is producing this DVD with WB releasing it.) and that they don't license titles.

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It would be nice to see the film Mr. Kubrick shot, which is available everywhere else on the globe. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. And it would be nice if this title were to be turned over to The Criterion Collection.

13. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

This is the only (major) Kubrick film I haven't seen, and it will remain that way until such time as an uncensored version becomes available.

14. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Patrick-

Where are you getting your information from? I was lucky enough to attend a screening of EWS last winter at the Egyptian here in LA, followed by a Q&A with Jan Harlan, Kubrick's brother-in-law and executive producer of EWS. Somehow the theater had gotten a European print without the CGI cover-ups. Harlan was surprised by this. When asked why the unaltered version wasn't out on DVD he specifically said that he would like to release it, but that Warner Bros absolutely refused to release an NC-17 movie.

Count me as wanting a DVD release of the real version. But sadly I remain pessimistic. Time to investigate a region-free player methinks.

- Guy

15. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I agree with what everyone is saying here, but very high quality region-free players have gotten so cheap now that I can't imagine living without one. The NTSC, Region 3, uncut Warner release of Eyes Wide Shut is one my favorite discs I own. You can pick it up now for a mere $17.
    Jeff

16. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

I own two copies of EWS: the American release in the Kubrick Collection box, and the R2 version.
    Given the choice between edits and PAL speed-up, I choose to watch neither more often than not.
    I would buy an NTSC unedited version. Criterion sounds ideal. [​IMG]

17. Marc Deslauriers

I would like an uncensored version too.

18. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

19. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Do those versions have English subtitles?