What's new

Warner slipping in two more MAR comedies "Under The Radar" this Tuesday? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Two WB catalog comedies coming out this week are Exit to Eden and House Arrest. It feels like Warner has carefully guarded the aspect ratio information on these two titles...I cannot find AR info ANYWHERE on these. No backs-of-boxes...nothing! Oh, except for Amazon, which says "Full Frame" (I tend to be skeptical of Amazon's info when I don't see it confirmed elsewhere, though).
All of this makes me believe they (WB) are trying to slip two more "under the radar" as they did with "Follow That Bird". I expect these to be fullframe, although I hope I'm wrong. NO OAR = NO SALE...and my wife *really* wanted Exit to Eden, strange as that may sound given the look of the cover. I've never seen this film, but I've heard it has a few yuks. But pan-and-scan is NEVER funny...
...which Best Buy must realize since they are trying again to show the difference between widescreen and standard TV's again in their weekly ad! Good for them. And those 16:9 TV prices aren't too too bad, either, especially when you factor in their 18-months-no-interest deal.
Here's a shot of the ad (click on it for a larger view):
[c]
BB_OAR_AD_2.jpg
[/c]
On the other hand, I urge everyone who likes the Vacation movies from National Lampoon to pick up National Lampoon's European Vacation from SOMEWHERE. It's the first Vacation series film in W-I-D-E-S-C-R-E-E-N, and we should show WB our support for OAR releases. If you recall, during the last HTF/WB chat last fall, they asked us "Is there a great demand for 1.85 Flat Comedies to be seen widescreen?". [rant]Here's our chance to show them that the answer is YES![/rant] There's a decent chance that if this, the acknowledged "worst one of the series" (according to most folks, anyway...I've always loved it!) sells well in 1.85:1 AR, then the rest of the series could see rereleases in OAR!! Here's to hoping, anyway! :) Another WB catalog comedy coming out this week in OAR is Joe Versus the Volcano. Not one of my faves, but I might get it anyway just to show WB my OAR support. I can think of a friend to give it to for his birthday, y'know?
[c]NO OAR = NO SALE!!![/c]

M

MaxY

Exit to Eden is actually a very funny movie and also has the plus of a very naked Dana Delany. :)
Max

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
David,
I actually saw four copies of Exit to Eden at my local **** *** last week. The problem is that I wasn't thinking straight, or maybe I just assumed the best, and forgot to check aspect ratio.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't in my HTF persona when I was browsing the other day. Worst part was I was looking for early releases of Disney titles trying to find out if they were OAR.
Personally, I have a good feeling about Exit to Eden being OAR, but I guess we'll have to wait a couple days to know for sure.
-Chad
(Still looking for aspect ratio on Turner and Hooch :angry: )

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Chad, perhaps you should edit your post to keep from revealing the name of the street-date-breaker there. ;)
Thanks for the feedback, but I'm not sure why you're so confident that it's OAR?... :confused:
Intuition? Mine says otherwise...

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Yes, that wonderfully accurate intuition... That doesn't prove anything. I don't have any real idea, even after forgeting to check the aspect ratio. I would say dvdempire should have the cover up on Monday or Tuesday. I'm headed back out that way tomorrow and will check if it is still there. But I'm sure someone will beat me to it.

-Chad

(earlier post edited...)

Jonathan_

Second Unit
According to the box, Turner & Hooch is in widescreen. I just wonder if it is 16x9, because the box doesn't state that it is 16x9.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Jonathan,

Thanks for the update. Hopefully, we will get some confirmation on the anamorphic status, along with some talk about the quality of the transfer in the next couple days.

Somebody out there ordered Exit to Eden and Turner and Hooch, and received them early. I know you guys are out there....

-Chad

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I dunno. Exit to Eden hardly seems like a title they'd go out of their way for -- which in this case obviously means the "work" of making an OAR version :)
Still, anything with a scantly clad Paul Mercutio is good with me (though he was in MUCH better shape in Strictly Ballroom). If it's not OAR though it's not something I will feel guilty over passing on.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
So much for intuition.
The back cover is up over at DVDPlanet and two things come to mind.
1. This disc is not OAR, it states 4x3.
2. Warner has put this under the HBO banner.
So I'm with David...
No OAR = No Sale

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Those of you who are upset about these two films not being released in widescreen format would be best to direct your ire towards HBO Home Video and not Warner Home Video.

Although both companies are part of the same conglomerate, Warner only "distributes" HBO's videos. HBO controls the marketing decisions on their product, not Warner. As such, this was strictly HBO's choice.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
There are two disturbing trends here: the continued MAR-only releases and this practice by the studios to withold/guard their aspect ratio information (and presence of anamorphic enhancement).
Disney has a slew of P&S-only releases coming up and some non 16:9-enhanced titles, but none of the etailers have any specs for these DVDs yet...how convenient! :angry: :thumbsdown:
What's worse is that these titles are in such low demand, that most people won't care that they are MAR-only (just like few would care if they were OAR-only)...true fans will buy the DVD no matter what AR the movie is, so there's no reason these can't be in the right ratio.
I'm going to be heartbroken when The Muppet Christmas Carol finally comes to DVD and is most likely pan & scan. :frowning: :thumbsdown: :angry:

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Looks like I'm going to have to stop pre-ordering WB DVD's unless the AR is explicitly stated. That means I probably won't be buying many at the higher prices now charged by BB.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
this practice by the studios to withold/guard their aspect ratio information (and presence of anamorphic enhancement).
This is sad. So we now have to petition/advocate for timely AR info, just so we know when we will have to petition/advocate for an OAR release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.