What's new

Warner site has DVD-A dates for Madonna, REM, etc; (1 Viewer)

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I think I can clear some of the confusion on this title now. When "Music In High Places" first showed up on Warner's Australian site, it included a catalog number (as they all do there). This title has since been removed as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I had copied the list from their site when it first showed there and today I checked the Warner catalog number that was given for it against the catalog number for her title "Music" and they are the same number. Bottom line is that apparently there was an error in the title listing on the Australian site and that the upcoming dvd-a will be "Music".

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Luis Esp:
As for Music in High Places said:
Terrific. Thanks for the clarification.
So, Warner is now finally doing/releasing what they should have done/released at the same time as the standard Music CD. :D
Cheers,
Paul

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
ReggieW et al.:

So at first glance it looks like the only one of the DVD-A titles listed in the first post of this thread that happened in the U.S. is R.E.M.'s Reveal.

Any substantive new information on possible DVD-As of Madonna's Music and the LOTR soundtrack?

Cheers,
Paul

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

Neil Young Harvest has also made it to DVD-A. It is an excellent disc, pick it up if you are a fan of his music.

A few months back Warner sent out a newsletter mentioning Jackson Browne as coming soon, but that title has yet to materialize. I am really not sure what is going on in their DVD-A department with the lack of recent new releases and any announcements at CES.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Wow, looking back at the list that Reggie posted, it shows how bad things have gotten with Warner. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Madonna should give the format a much needed boost
Madonna, failed actress, and Paul Simon have been discussed a lot by Warner for years but still no DVD Audio. I will buy if Paul Simon comes out, but with the lack of commitment to DVDA by Warner and the general disarray of its parent company, I will adopt the the KeithH rule:
"I will believe it when I have it in my hands!"
:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, you are learning. ;) Actually, Paul Simon You're the One has been out on DVD-Audio for quite awhile now. I don't have the disc, though. Anyway, I would like to seem older Simon on DVD-Audio (and Simon & Garfunkel on SACD). :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Talk about scraping the bottom of the dvd-audio desperation barrel, but here goes:
Regarding the dribble of dvd-audio releases: Could Warner/Capitol/BMG be building up a collection of big name titles so they can finally have that big "relaunch" of dvd-audio I kept reading about last year?
Let's face it, right now if they did some kind of fat dvd-audio publicity campaign with all the glittery trimmings and captured the public's attention, what would those curious people see once they arrived at the dvd-audio section? 75% unknown artists & classical, and the other 25%? Some old rock/pop classics (Eagles, Neil Young, etc.) and a tiny smattering of new artists (Linkin Park, Barenaked Ladies, Faith Hill, etc.).
They'd be thinking: "Jeez all that flash and slick print ads and this is all there is?" A definite marketing no-no.
If this format is going to be even just a premium/low sales format it has to add more big classic titles but especially IMO, it MUST add a big chunk of modern (1990's) titles. All these releases of tired 60s titles isn't going to interest young people under @30 years old. And I think its that age range that owns most of the dvd players out there and are willing to try new technology. Can you imagine if ANY Dave Matthews Band album were released on dvd-audio??? Yikes! then "Joe Six Pack" will know what this format is all about (heck, if any DMB were released on 8-track they would sell out in an hour :)).
And considering it must have cost more than a couple bucks to develop the dvd-a format, I still don't believe the Big Names will give up on dvd-audio knowing they have done little to nothing to promote it.
But if something doesn't happen in the next six months.......well, I just hope Warner, EMI, whatever will let companies like AIX, Hi-Rez and Chesky release some of their huge backlog of music.
LJ

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Lee,

Let's not get to cocky here. Madonna may be a "failed actress" but I think you and I know that she is probably the biggest female pop star in history. She would give a boost to DVD-A, especially since Madonna is likely to appeal to a mass pop audience. It does seem that Warner is having some sort of "shakeup," but I don't know if this is the cause of the lack of DVD-A support, or some other unknown reason.

Reg

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
:confused:
Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis?
"Music" (her last album) was probably one of her best.
God help us if Sony owned her.

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Al. Heck, Madonna hasn't done 80's synth pop since...well, the 80's :)
I would love to see everything from "True Blue" through "Music" receive a DVD-A release. If not, I would accept:
Immaculate Collection
Ray of Light
Music
GHV2
and hopefully her upcoming release in April will have a day and date release on DVD-A, like Warner did for Faith Hill's "Cry" (if I remember correctly).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Al said:

God help us if Sony owned her.
Could you elaborate on this statement? Are you implying that Madonna's music might suffer were she under contract with Sony Music? If so, why?

Lee,

You're the One may not be Paul Simon's best solo effort, but I like the album. I have not picked up the DVD-Audio disc yet, but I enjoy the CD. The CD is actually encoded in HDCD, and while I don't think HDCD is a big deal in and of itself, the disc sounds great my non-HDCD players.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

No. I'm implying that if she was a Sony product, and slated for a future SACD release, Lee would be touting her as the second coming of Mother Theresa.

Not some "80's has been".

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No. I'm implying that if she was a Sony product, and slated for a future SACD release, Lee would be touting her as the second coming of Mother Theresa.
Bunk...I hate Madonna whether its DVD Audio or Super Audio. As for synthesizers there are electronic sounds aplenty on the latest cut of "Music", a misnomer if there was one.
Face it, she's coasting on past popularity. :thumbsdown:

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
As for synthesizers there are electronic sounds aplenty on the latest cut of "Music", a misnomer if there was one.
Are you implying/suggesting that synthesizers are not "Music"al?

Synth sounds of the eighties are not equavalint too synth sounds of the ninety's, for that matter 60's, or now.
Use of musical instruments 'changes' thru time. An eclectic guitar sound of the fifty's can hardly be a match [compared] to that of the sixty's , let alone today.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

Hey Ed, I'm with you. I think "Music" is a great album.

I think you may want to direct that at Mr. Lee.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Lee,

The kind of music Madonna performed on "Music" is called "Electronica." It is distinctly different from the 80's synth pop of say Depeche Mode or The Pet Shop Boys. Besides, Madonna was never considered a synth artist, even in the 80's, but a dance music artist more than anything. Pat Leonard who produced her "True Blue" and "Like a Prayer" albums also produced Roger Waters "Amused to Death." The Pat Leonard Madonna albums of the mid/late 80's are petty instrument heavy because this is what Leonard liked. Her 1998 album "Ray of Light" - her BEST album imho, also had elements of this mixed with really good real instrumentation from producer William Orbit. I wish Madonna would work with Orbit again. ROL was one of the best albums of the 90's and her one album I would love to have out on DVD-A more than any other. You may not like Madonna Lee, and that's your choice, but I do agree with others here who say you would be singing her praises if her catalog were coming to Super Audio.

Reg

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
And the sound quality of Madonna's albums is usually very high. I have "Like A Virgin" on vinyl and it sounded excellent ("sounded" because my turntable is busted :frowning:) and here "Immaculate Collection" on CD--this is one of the best sounding discs I own.
LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks