Warner site has DVD-A dates for Madonna, REM, etc;

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Jun 12, 2002.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Well, take this for what it's worth, but warnervision.com.au has some dates for some upcoming DVD-A titles:

Madonna: Music In High Places 8/19/02
    Paul Simon: Graceland 8/19/02
    REM: Reveal 9/23/02
    Eric Clapton: Unplugged 9/23/02
    Lord of the Rings Sndtrk 9/23/02
    Madonna: GHV2 9/23/02
    Neil Young: After the Goldrush 9/23/02
    Neil Young: Harvest 9/23/02
    Jackson Browne: running on Empty 10/28/02

This is from Warner's Australian site, and we here in the US commonly get the DVD-A's released here first. Dates are promising, at least we know they are coming soon. Madonna should give the format a much needed boost, but WARNER MUST PROMOTE THEM.

Reg

Admin: The thread title should read "Warner." please change if you can.

P.S. - I am trying to get some info on the first Madonna release, as we fans know that she never had an album with this title. I am guessing that it may be some sort of compilation from her early period (1983-1989) possibly created for DVD-A.

2. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Reggie, Not to take anything off your post, but this was posted on several forums some time back. Around two weeks ago, the Warner site removed the Madonna, Paul Simon and a Stevie Nicks title from their site.

3. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

now all we need is a dvd-a of vapor trails by rush

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, perhaps Madonna is releasing a new album? Maybe this will be one of those albums that is released on the same day as the CD, like the Mickey Hart and Dishwalla titles.
    As for these release dates, I'll give you my standard reply. I'll believe it when I see it. [​IMG]
    Am I the only one who is disappointed to see Madonna's GHV2 coming out on DVD-Audio before The Immaculate Collection?

5. Micahel C

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, you know I didn't even think of the record labels when I posed my question about Madonna titles on DVD-Audio. I remember Dire Straits CDs at one time carrying the Sire label. For example, the original CD version of Brothers in Arms is a Sire title. However, the remastered version is on the Warner label. Was Sire absorbed by Warner or have the two always been together?
    EDIT: My CD copy of The Immaculate Collection says "SIRE/WARNER BROS." on the spine.

7. Micahel C

Keith, That's very interesting. I wasn't aware that Warner had Sire in their nest. I wonder if that also includes the London label as well. With your news I guess I have to ask the same question. Where the hell is the "TIC" dvd-a?[​IMG]

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, I bought my copy of The Immaculate Collection on CD years ago (around the time it came out), so the Sire/Warner connection isn't new.

9. Micahel C

Keith, as I said, that is still news to me. My question would be is whether Sire is still connected to Warner or not. There's no indication of it on their website. On Warner's site, there is a listing of their UK and US labels and Sire isn't listed there. Maybe someone else here knows? You know how how mergers and acquisitions come and go between the big companies in all industries. Did Warner acquire them at one point and then later resell to someone else or are they still connected? Inquiring minds want to know!

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, does the Sire name still exist? Maybe the name was completely absorbed by Warner. I have no idea.

11. Micahel C

Keith, their web page is under the London/Sire name. The same as it was for most of Madonna's 80's releases. The only artists I reconize on their site is the Pet Shop Boys (who have since gone to EMI). Here's the link. Maybe you'll reconize some of the names as current Warner artists. Otherwise I don't have a clue.
    London/Sire Records

12. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    Remember Warner lower their DVD Audio titles from June 17 - to $17 - $18. This is great

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jesper,

The lower prices for Warner discs is being discussed in another thread here. I hope to see those lower prices next week.

Micahel,

Thanks for the link. That isn't an impressive list of artist at all. Just my $0.02.

14. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

the sire label no longer exists btw

15. Micahel C

Kevin, I'm sure that would be news to the artists that are recording there. You might want to check the latest Billboard 100 as Sire currently has a release on it.

Keith, Well it took a while, but I finally tracked Sire's hierarchy. They are a subsidiary of Reprise Records. Of course Reprise is a division of Warner Music Group. BTW, the London/Sire label is also fully owned by Warner as well.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Micahel C, KeithH et al.:
    Yeah, it was always my understanding that Sire is a Warner-distribbed imprint. Perhaps London is the U.K. sister imprint for distribution across the pond?
    Hmmmmm--it seems unlikely, but I wonder if the Music In High Places release might be from the same line that the Collective Soul DVD of the same name is from. It features the band performing acoustic versions of their songs outdoors in exotic locales. The Collective Soul disc was shot in Morocco. From its jacket blurb: Music in High Places, the ultimate international music and travel adventure series, takes top recording artists to the most ancient sites on earth. Each expedition takes music's biggest artists to the four corners of the globe and features exciting acoustic performances set against the backdrop of earth's most intriguing natural locations.
    http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_lis...675&format=DVD
    But, given a) the techno direction of Madonna's recent work, b) that the Collective Soul release is a DVD-V not DVD-A title and c) that the CS release is an Image title, this seems unlikely though, no? Hmmmmmmm.
    Cheers,
    Paul

18. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

i thought i'd read recently that warner was closing the sire label[maybe i'm wrong]

19. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I know that Madonna's own record label under the Warner umbrella is "Maverick".

As for Music in High Places, isn't that a series with MTV or VH1 where singers or bands perform acoustically in some exotic location? I remember watching the Alanis Morissette performance just recently, and it's being released in Aug. through Image Entertainment.

20. John Wielgosz

John Wielgosz Stunt Coordinator

I just may have to re-think my upcoming purchase plans for a new progressive player if REM and Madonna become available on DVD-A. I only purchased a small amount of DTS CDs (The Sting releases and Sheryl Crow's "Globe Sessions"), but would gladly jump into DVD-A if Madonna or REM's catalog became available in the format.