Warner Shorts DVD available at B&N Free with Purchase

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Garysb, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Once again to promote 31 Days of Oscar on TCM, Barnes and Noble is offering an exclusive DVD of shorts from the Warner library. You need to purchase a Warner DVD from a select group of Oscar winners to get the free DVD. Unlike past years I believe these shorts have been included in existing DVD releases as extras. The four shorts listed are:

1) Hollywood Newsreel : real life football heroes meet reel life stars Ginger Rogers and Dick Powell as they tour the Warner Bros, backlot

2) Hollywood:Style Center of the World follows a pretty farm girl who buys a stylish dress just like Joan Crawford's then introduces you to screenland's top designers at work. I think this one is on "The Women " DVD.

3) A Trip Thru a Hollywood Studio You will visit 6 studios, meet big name stars and explore movie technology

4) We Must Have Music : Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Nelson Eddy, Busby Berkeley and more musical icons make it thirillingly clear why. I believe this was included with the DVD of "Ziegfeld Girl ."

You can also pick up a free copy of the February issue Now Playing, the TCM program guide without any purchase.

2. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

Hi Gary. Thanks for the heads up.

Ridiculous. I was just at Barnes and Noble asking about this promotion and no-one knew what I was talking about.

Is there any way to make sure which discs have the bonus one?

3. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    when I got this last year it was a disc in a paper flap that they handed to you at the counter...the discs aren't attached

4. Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza Stunt Coordinator

Darren,
    In the past the Barnes and Noble Oscar bonus disc was never included with the films like bonus discs at other stores are. They are usually given to you by the casheer when you purchase one of the films that it comes with. Also I think that Garysb was saying that the shorts on this disc can be found as extras on previously released films, so they are not exclusive to the Barnes and Noble Oscar disc like they have been in the past.

I also had trouble getting the Oscar disc from Barnes and Noble last year because the employees had no idea what I was talking about. So I had to literally show one of them the sign that they had up advertising the bonus disc with the purchase of select films. It was only then when they realized what I was talking about and had to dig around in the back for a while before the finally found them. But it was worth the wait and all the blank stares I got.

5. CameronMcC

CameronMcC Second Unit

got one tonight. They were sitting on the cashwrap in the dvd department. There is a picture of it on the display for some warner titles. I didn't have to purchase anything. The disc comes in a square cardboard sleeve, and the disc doesn't have menus.

6. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

Yes the discs are not attached to the DVDs. At the B&N I was at in Lincoln Center NYC , they were behind the counter.
    The cashier did not know about it and had to ask the manager.
    The manager knew about the disk but had to read the sign to see what you had to do to get the disk ie buy a Warner DVD. This was stated on the sign.

As I said in my original post at least some if not all these shorts are on other DVDs as extras. Of course if you do not own those discs, then this is a neat thing to have.
    I was disappointed that they did not release shorts that had not previously been released. There are many shorts including ones with actors who later became famous, that have never been released. A release of Pete Smith Specialties or Crime Does Not Pay shorts would have been interesting. Maybe next time

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Picked mine up tonight. Even though the promotion sign states clearly that you had to select a DVD from a particular display, the B&N employees at my local store said they'd be willing to give me one with any DVD purchase.

I got the impression they were trying to remember to give one to anybody who made a DVD purchase...but were forgetting.