Warner September Special Edition details

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattHR, Jul 3, 2002.

1. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

from Video Business.com (7/3/02):

Warner has special plans for September

By Scott Hettrick

JULY 3 | When you've already put out DVD special editions of classics in your film library such as Citizen Kane and The Wizard of Oz, what do you do for an encore?

You present double-disc special editions on the same day of five more classics, three of them Academy Award winners.

Warner Home Video will release Amadeus Director's Cut, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Unforgiven (10th Anniversary Edition), Singin' in the Rain (50th Anniversary Edition) and True Romance Unrated Director's Cut on Sept. 24 at a suggested retail price of $26.99 each ($19.95 MAP).

All the titles in the new line feature new digitally remastered transfers and multiple extra features. Merchandiser orders are due Aug. 20; single orders, Aug. 27.

The double-disc special editions, which continue the packaging and production approach started last year with Citizen Kane and Doctor Zhivago, will be supported by a multimillion-dollar national ad campaign reaching more than 80% of its target audience five times. The studio is putting more marketing dollars into the campaign than any other catalog release, according to Michael Radiloff, VP of DVD marketing.

A new group of special editions from Warner's enormous library that encompasses most of the historic films made at MGM in its heyday will be introduced next year, some of which have never been released on DVD.

Radiloff said the Sept. 24 release date was chosen to ensure that the movies get attention before the anticipated crush of fourth-quarter blockbusters.

"We didn't want to take a chance that they would get missed with all the big holiday titles coming out," he said.

In addition to the extra 20 minutes of footage added for the recent theatrical rerelease, the special edition of Amadeus includes commentary by director Milos Forman and writer Peter Shaffer and a 37-minute behind-the-scenes documentary.

Forman also provides an audio commentary on One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with producers Michael Douglas and Saul Zaentz. The special edition includes additional scenes and the 48-minute documentary released previously on laserdisc focusing on the actors, moviemakers and writer Ken Kesey recounting the history of the original novel to its stage and movie adaptations.

Modern musical director Baz Luhrmann weighs in with commentary on one of his favorite films, Singin' in the Rain. The title also includes a new 30-minute documentary, What a Glorious Feeling; soundstage sessions; the deleted musical number You Are My Lucky Star; separately recorded commentaries by Donald O'Connor, Cyd Charisse, Rita Moreno, Luhrmann and Kathleen Freeman; commentary from screenwriters Betty Comden and Adolph Green, Rudy Behlmer and Stanley Donen, woven together and introduced by Debbie Reynolds; a 96-minute documentary about the career of producer/songwriter Arthur Freed; and excerpts from movies inspired by Freed/Brown songs.

Perhaps one of the most unique extra features is included on Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven. It's Duel at Sundown, an episode of the classic TV Western series Maverick from Feb. 1, 1959, featuring Eastwood in a role similar to the character he played in Unforgiven decades later. The DVD also includes commentary by Time film critic and Eastwood biographer Richard Schickel; Schickel's career retrospective Eastwood on Eastwood; a featurette hosted by Morgan Freeman called All on Account of Pullin' a Trigger; a behind-the-scenes documentary Eastwood & Co. Making Unforgiven; and interviews with Eastwood, Gene Hackman and Richard Harris.

Radiloff said True Romance, written by Quentin Tarantino, directed by Tony Scott and starring Christian Slater, Brad Pitt, Val Kilmer, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Patricia Arquette and Gary Oldman, is one of the studio's most requested titles.

True Romance Unrated Director's Cut includes three separate audio commentaries by Slater and Arquette, Scott and Tarantino; more than 30 minutes of deleted or extended scenes with optional director commentary; an alternate ending with optional director and writer commentaries; selective commentaries with Hopper, Kilmer, Pitt and Michael Rapaport; and a behind-the-scenes multiangle featurette.

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

So, the cut of "Amadeus" that won Best Picture and made the AFI Top 100 will remain available only as a flipper?

3. Rain

Rain Producer

It all sounds oh-so-sweet to me.
    Damn do I love Warner Brothers. [​IMG]

4. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Wow. Those sound great. I'm definitely ordering four of them.

Should be interesting to listen to Baz do a commentary on SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

-greg

5. Rain

Rain Producer

Just one question though.
    What happened to Giant? Is there a release date for that one yet?

6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Cool! I'll be picking up Amadeus and Unforgiven. Thanks, Warner!

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'll definately be getting Amadeus: DC, Singin' In The Rain: SE, and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest: SE.

9. Rain

Rain Producer

This whole thing with Giant is very odd.
    First they release it on DVD, but only in Canada. Then it goes out of print for unspecified reasons. Then it is announced as a Special Edition (with cover art posted no less), only to disappear completely a few weeks later.
    What the hell? [​IMG]

10. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

I'll be getting the lot.. (eventually, there's a lot of stuff to buy over those months.)

Prolly get Unforgiven and One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest to begin with, and see Amadeus : DC next week in the cinema.

11. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

I'll be picking up Amadeus (which I saw at the Arclight recently; the director's cut is even better than the original, so I've no problem with that being the only version available), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (which I've never seen, but look forward to), Singin' In The Rain and Unforgiven. Don't really care about True Romance.

I'm glad I picked up the Canadian Giant before the rug got pulled out from underneath it.

12. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    I'll wait for the reviews to make sure the distorted-scene glitch isn't present on the new version of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Assuming it's not, I'll get that, Amadeus, Unforgiven, and Singin' In The Rain.
    The only one I'm not sure about is True Romance: I like the movie (well, more accurately, I like the supporting actors in the movie), but I'm not crazy about the extras mentioned. Unless the transfer/sound is a significant improvement on the current disc, I probably won't bother.
    doug

13. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

Wow, these all look like must-buys thanks to Warner really going all out with interesting extras. I especially like the emphasis on commentary tracks, far and away my most-wanted special feature on any film.

Was really hoping for Kong, though...but if it gets treatment this good the wait will be worth it.

14. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I will take one of each please![​IMG]
    Same day as April Fool's Day and the rumored Swingers SE

15. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I will be picking up all of them (including Giant when it comes out). Whatever happened to the Goodfellas Special Edition ?

16. Sarah Temple

Sarah Temple Agent

im not a big musical fan, but i really do love singin' in the rain. i think its pretty interesting how the movie was made around the songs. im really excited to check out this new se dvd!!!

17. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

18. Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes Stunt Coordinator

I thought the second disc for "Singin' In The Rain" was supposed to have the recent Gene Kelly documentary that was aired on PBS a while back. I remember specifically reading that and being very happy since it was such an excellent documentary. [​IMG]
    I'll be picking up the movie anyway, but I'm still befuddled by this.

19. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    Craig_T,
    Seriously.
    The announced extras just don't grab me: I'm not that interested in hearing the main (Slater/Arquette, Scott, Tarantino) commentaries. I already know the alternate ending and am not that thrilled about the deleted/extended scenes or multi-angle featurette.
    I'm just not that mad about the movie qua movie: when I watch it, I usually end up skipping to the scenes with Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Val Kilmer, Gary Oldman and Brad Pitt. All of these actors do great things in their scenes... but the movie in between just doesn't strike me as a great work, Badlands references aside.
    Now, I am interested in the "selective commentaries" from Hopper, Kilmer, Pitt and Rapaport. If only they could have added Walken and Oldman, I'd be sold. As it is, I'll wait and hear what my reliable reviewer has to say about these tracks before I decide.
    doug

20. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Warner, please get off the Richard Schickel tip, his commentaries are mediocre at best.

I just hope Baz avoids comparing any of his films to SITR.