Warner Reportedly Tells Retailers “Dual Disc” DVD-Audio/CD Will Be Shipping In 12/03

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jason Garrett, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett Stunt Coordinator

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Not to stir the pot too much, but I found these quotes very interesting from the above article

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

To speculate further, this could also mean Sony is going to market SACD strictly as an audiophile format, using DVD-A as the product to cater to the masses. I would have no problem with such an approach as it would probably ensure that sound quality on most SACD would remain top notch, avoiding the pitfalls of modern day CD.

J

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

We have to remember that this isn't 100% confirmed and the information could be very inaccurate.

That said, it wouldn't be surprising.

Dual-discs or not, I have no doubt that (sooner or later) Sony will jump on the DVD-A bandwagon. DVD is the media of the future (as well as MP3), and Sony would be hurting themselves not to jump in - regardless of how small a market DVD-A may be.

5. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

My $.02:

Have to say that economics -- and probably very little else -- will drive whether or not Sony takes part in the DVD-A/CD releases. If Sony thinks it can make a ton of money off of it, then it might... might... join the party. I don't see Sony doing that, however. Just a personal reflection on how the company has handled itself in the past. And if it does hop on board, then I'm betting that it will take the stance that it's releasing CDs... with the addition of a DVD-A as a minor consideration.

And why not the possibility of hybrid CD/SACDs and a DVD-A in one package as part of this program? Sony would be in a unique position there by appealing to both formats!

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'd be all over a DVD-A/CD [​IMG] ...Question: Can a SACD be put on the other side of a DVD-A ? [​IMG]

9. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

No, no, no! Please no flipper discs! I'd love for DVD-A to have CD compatibility, but not if it means flippers. Bleck, bleck, bleck!

10. Jeff*Pecor

Jeff*Pecor Auditioning

I read somewhere that Sony was developing SACD2, which would have video content like DVD-A. Has anyone else read that?

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Jeff,

There were rumors about SACD adding in some video features, but Sony strongly denied this and there has been no official word.

12. Mark_Waldrep

Mark_Waldrep Stunt Coordinator

I've been extremely busy with new productions and lots or work for other labels...mostly DVD-Video and 5.1 music preparation, but a few DVD-Audios for WB.

As far as the DVD-Plus hybrid goes, it's true that WB is ready to go. I have copies of my own projects lined up and ready to go. These discs function just fine in 99% of the hardware but they do require you to flip them over for the CD access.

DVD-Audio discs are now being made by 4 of the five major labels and lots of us little guys...things are looking ever brighter. And sounding even better!

13. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

I'd be happy if WARNER supported it.

It's way past time for them to be putting out a serious amount of product. How cool would it have been if the new Seal album had been put out as a DVD-A/CD either instead of or day and date with the standard CD. As it stands, I haven't bought it, though everything I've read is favorable, because I don't want to see the announcement of a DVD three months later.

I ordered the Sting album (a hybrid SACD) instead.

14. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

99% hardware compatibility? Hmm.

I guess that's O.K. because there are some regular CDs I own that won't play in certain CD players: my Beastie Boys Hello Nasty and Enconium (Led Zeppelin tribute album--Henry Rollins is on it!) won't play in my Panasonic car player (they physically load with no problem, but they just spin around for a few seconds & the player ejects them). And my buddy's little $50 Emerson boombox can take almost 10 seconds sometimes just reading the TOC on quite a few discs (not even ones that are "enhanced").

But I really hope that the 1% figure just refers to playback problems, and not having any problems getting stuck in a car player's loading slot. That would be really bad news for the dvd-audio format.

LJ

15. Michael St. Clair

SACD hybrid is also not 100% compatible.

It seems mixed formats will have to make tradeoffs.

16. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I will chime in with some information I received at CEDIA, where I talked to a number of manufacturers.

Two of my favorite DVD-A sources were there (I didn't bump into Mark so he wasn't included).

One of those sources said