What's new

Warner releasing a Flintstones Complete Series set this year? (1 Viewer)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
You and me BOTH! I saw the photos the folks at thedigitalbits.com (cheap plug, sorry!) posted and my jaw hit the ground. I will agree that I'm a bit nervous about how the DVDs are kept in paper slips, but seriously, the set looks great!

Oh, and for anyone who hasn't seen the photos? Go see them. Not just Flintstones, but Batman:TAS, Sopranos, Deadwood and the movie releases... my poor wallet is already in pain and this just looks so awesome. Warner deserves a TON of credit for what they are putting into the sets.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I just bought the Andy complete set. Those cardboard holders suck. Some got scratched. At least it fared better than my Brady Bunch shag set. All but one of those had some level of scratches, a few I'm already getting Paramount to replace.

As for Flintstones, a bit disappointed in the cardboard, but I'll grab it anyway. Hopefully they are good with replacing single DVDs.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The Warner Brothers store has this up for pre-order for $99.95 (with free shipping), which becomes $70 if you use the ANWBTS coupon code for 30% off (but you must buy something else with it, as a 2-item minimum order is needed for the coupon but the 30% works on everything in the order).

I've also updated the first post to add a link to TSOD's latest story on the set, with some more info.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I've been boycotting these type of sets because these ignorant flipping studios don't understand that we entertainment fans want our DVD's to last a long while. From the way the Flintstones set looks, there is way too much room for these disks to get scratched and damaged.

When are they going to learn that it doesn't matter how you price the sets, if you don't ensure that the packaging doesn't damage the surface of the disks then nobody will buy them.

I've purchased two complete series sets. The Miami Vice set (paid $99) and the Northern Exposure set (paid $120). The disks were protected and had their own cases.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
UGH! I was so excited about this set and now they're going with a very UGLY orange instead of the "rock" style.

I still want the set, but this is really disappointing.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
YUCK!

That looks hideous.

Why can't these studios understand that the best way to release ANTYHING is in a regular old cardboard box set! Either keep cases or digipaks inserted within. If WHV would have simply taken all the previously released seasons and slipped them inside a similarly designed cardboard box with Flintstoney lettering/font distinguishing "The Complete Series" it not only would have looked twenty billion times better but would have been more appropriate for shelf storage and less costly than producing these stupid oversized plastic monstrosoties as seen int he new design. I doubt I'll be buying this now...

Another lost sale due to idiotic marketing decisions when it comes to packaging a complete set. Convenience and class over novelty any day. Who really wants this big orange log on their shelf anyways?

Oh well, collecting The Flintstones in one single comprehensive set at a lower price would have seemed like a great idea... but I'll stick with the individual seasons and pass on this ridiculous looking crap, thank you.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That second shot in the amazon.com listing doesn't look too bad. But the first thing, that orange thing is completely unacceptable. They do want to sell this thing to people, ay?

At least I'll buy it...but I'll sure not show off that box to people.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Not only that ... but whoever the moron is that keeps coming up with the old "slide it in the sleeve so the DVD's get scratched" has got to be the dumbest DVD packaging to ever hit the market.

Charmed, Gilmore Girls, Flintstones, I Dream of Jeannie, etc. I will jnot ever buy any of these idiotic packaging. I'm a nut when it comes to buying my DVD's. If there is one insignificant scratch on a DVD I'll return it ... even if it doesn't mess with the playback capability.

Studios are going out of their way to make sure that DVD's end up getting scratched so that the consumer will come back and purchase another set of the same.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Absolutely, Mark. About 60% of the DVDs in my Brady Bunch complete set were scratched. I was real worried about Andy Griffith, but so far so good on those. But that darn cardboard is unworthy of the awesomeness that is Andy. They should be stored in case lined with gentle velvet!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
That's why I won't many many of these newer complete series sets. The only I have purchased so far has been the Miami Vice Complete Series set. That was the perfect example of a first class release. Each season in its own DVD case, and also protected by a velvet inner lining.

Now, studios aren't even being careful with the packaging and creating cases that cause the DVD's to become severely scratched.

Your Brady Bunch set is the prime example of why packaging such as the Brady Bunch, Gilmore Girls and the Flintstones should not be made any longer. All we ask, as consumers, is that studios protect the DVD's from becoming damaged.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well said.

Now, in their defense, Paramount promptly replaced the first DVD in the BB set, which would freeze before the promos came on. When I'm done watching the whole series it looks like they'll have to replace 4 or so more that had skipping.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

They had the complete set out at Best Buy near my office. While I am no expert on what was on the season sets, the extras are all listed by season so I would guess there is nothing on the complete set that was not on the season sets. The box is the ugliest package I have ever seen. The color is Creamsicle Orange. What was Warners thinking ?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't understand the functionality behind any of these silly box designs because last time I checked people either lined their DVDs up like books on a shelf or, like me, tossed the packaging and used DVD wallets.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

With all the single sets available at a nice discount at Amazon's continual TV sale and DeepDiscount's upsoming sale it is just as cheap or cheaper to get the individual seasons and the packaging is alot better. No scratched discs and easier to remove and store.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Warner Brothers originally promised 4.5 hours of NEW bonus material for this set. Can anyone confirm whether it is there. I have seen NO info on this title since the initial press release.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Where did you read "new Bonus material"? Only thing I saw on TVshowsondvd just said "4.5 hours of bonus material." Which seems to cover all the stuff that was included on the six season boxsets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks