What's new

Warner releasing a Flintstones Complete Series set this year? (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
According to TVShowsonDVD, there's a mock-up of the packaging (which apparently resembles a TV) at the EMA trade show in Vegas. No details are known, except that it should be out this year.

Editing to add TSOD's subsequent story with more info.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to seeing the design as I've only collected the first three seasons so far and almost went for number four last week... but perhaps fate reared it's hand!

I'd be very interested in this if it's a competent design and convenient price to collect the remainder of the series. It could also be an excellent way to include those "risky" commercial spots that were included as supplements on the old laserdisc sets.

Looking forward to this as it's almost a sure fire purchase from me for one of my all-time favorite television shows ever!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I'm interested not only to see the packaging, but to see if Pebbles and Bam-Bam will be included, along with other extras.

I am excited about this as I have actually held off on buying Flintstones, waiting for something like this.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Great! I only bought the first season and I've been milking it for 3 years. :D Can't wait to snag this whole set. This new set is now on my Most Wanted list as of Today. :cool:

EDIT: I'm looking forward to Season 3 so I can hear "Meet the Flintstones" again. I much prefer it for nostalgic purposes.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Gord was talking to me from his cell phone when he saw this. From what he described, I'm 100% positive that Pebbles and Bam-Bam won't be part of this set. Keep in mind that it was under glass, though. Still, it sounded like he could see a lot of it.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well I own all 6 seasons, so there's no need for me to buy this. The sets are great except that I would've liked to see more comprehensive bonus material. The censored cigarette ads, more Pebbles cereal ads, show promos, etc. Ah wel, I bought them for the episodes and that's what I got. Can't complain too much. lol

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Message to Gord:

If you get the chance to see this again, even if the display case makes picture-taking less than optimal, I'd still really love to see a photo of what the set looks like!

And there's no reason for Warners to include the Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm Show as they were entirely separate programs and it would only drive the cost and size of the set up and divide consumers. This is the Complete FLINTSTONES...

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Call me a dreamer, but I was hoping Pebbles and Bam Bam would make it as an extra since it did spin off the Flintstones, plus I swear Fred and Barney cameos in a few eps. Anyway, even if it's not, you're right, it's a done in one, so no headaches. But yes, I'm dying for pictures and more details on contents.

Brad P

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love if they made the sans-laugh versions from the early '90s Cartoon Network airings available as an alternate audio track, a'la the M*A*S*H sets.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Oh, I already made that request to him, naturally, when we found out that the first attempts at pics didn't come out. He explained that the boxes were only shown at a one-time event the first night, and won't be made available again at the show. They've probably already been packed away, and possibly even been sent back to L.A.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Apparently someone from MovieWeb managed to snag a good picture of this package at the event.

When you see it, you'll see what I mean when I say that it feels "gimmicky", and I wonder how many people will actually go for it.

I mean, Cylon faces, Ape heads, attache cases, Zim houses, mausoleums and the like are also gimmicky. But they look a lot cooler, IMHO, than this does.

And the "books" with the discs sliding into those pages (see the open page with Betty on it, and the white area to Betty's left? Yeah, that's where the disc slides in) just doesn't feel like a wonderful design.

I'm not lovin' it, personally. Opinions vary, though.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Oh wow, that looks like crap imo. They should have copied the way the Dick Van Dyke Show did their complete series box set, that was worth the pick up and very snazzy looking. I have the every season of the Flintstones individually, so no double dipping for me.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I'll be in the minority then, because I like it. Not thrilled about how the DVDs are kept in paper slipcases, but I love the design of the box and the "book" format. And hey, I've not bought any Flintstones, so this will be how I'll fly.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
At The Digital Bits today, Bill Hunt explains that he's gotten from Warner "an exclusive first look at the packaging and artwork" for many of the new deluxe packages shown at the EMA show. Since they are exclusive to him, TSoD won't be "poaching" any of those pictures from him...we'll wait until Warner provides them directly to us.

One of those pics is a MUCH more polished-looking pic of the Flintstones set. It still looks a bit gimmicky, but much nicer looking and desirable. However, my concern is that this is a pic that was "made for marketing", where the pic taken at the show is probably much more of a "real world" snapshot at how it would look sitting on your coffee table or shelf. Still a no-go for me, personally, but I can see where Matt and others would want it. Not a knock on those people at all; it's just not for me.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Dave if the photo posted on MovieWeb is any accurate indication of the package design... disappointing to say the least!

I'll wait to see the official press release and marketing shots that WHV sends over before making up my mind because I only own the first three seasons and as my all-time favorite (animated or otherwise) TV series, I'd love the convenience and value of getting it all in one shot.

But the way the discs are contained looks really awful and even hazardous for storage if they have to be slid into the box sideway against the cardboard packaging every time they are removed for viewing and returned to the package again.

Otherwise, the box itself is neither minimal and classy nor the vintage 1960's TV cartoon kitsch I expected for such a clever and groundbreaking television show. It looks just like... a very big and unflattering box with a garish picture of what I assume to be Bedrock in the middle. In fact, if it hadn't been relayed to Dave in a post above, I'd never have guessed or even thought twice that I was supposed to be looking at a retro television set. Which could've been really cool if properly designed!

If anyone owns any of the recent Flintstones vinyl toys (I just bought the ltd. set of The Gruesomes!) than you would know what I mean by interesting packaging. They are designed in custom boxes that resemble primitive stone age television sets with a strong mid-century modern sixties design overtone. And they look great. This thing is just plain ugly in my opinion. But I REALLY want to like it and am hoping The Bits shots do it better justice 'cause I'd love to own this thing for the content and (hopefully!) value itself.

What went from an absolute sure-shot purchase is now a wait-and-see deal...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. on the other hand, looks great and I can't wait to own it. I usually detest these excessive briefcase monster head fanboy boxes that look like giant toys on the DVD shelf, but I think for once this set actually adheres to the nature of the show and at the very least, if one were to abandon the unnecessarily oversized outer packaging for storage, the individual sets within appear nicely and conveniently designed. I hope that will be the case with The Flintstones as well because I may just buy the set, ditch the box and keep the individual book style cases if they prove a more efficient design than what we've seen so far...

As for Batman: TAS -- I can't tell a thing from the packaging at all and will have to reserve judgement until proper promo shots are sent out.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Phew!

http://thedigitalbits.com/articles/m...iesdvdopen.jpg

I changed my mind completely; I actually really like the way it looks!

This will be mine for sure on release date and has moved up to my most anticipated release of the year! Can't wait for street date and details to be posted...

Now if only Warners would've commissioned Jerry Beck to throw together some interesting liners and perhaps a scrapbook of production art and vintage merchandising and promo material... that would've been really cool!

I'm not sure why in situations like this, they don't take more advantage of the resources available to them?

Batman: TAS looks especially COOL!

It's definitely coming off my paycheck too!

I wonder what on earth those LARGE paperback books could contain? I'm assuming there will be some sort of TZ-style episode guide and perhaps storyboards or comic strips from the artists that worked on and inspired the innovative design of the series?

I'm REALLY excited about all of these to say the least!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks