What's new

Warner-Release UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE (1 Viewer)

larry bender

Stunt Coordinator
UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE is a wonderful film from director Robert Mulligan ( TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD- SAME TIME NEXT YEAR) from 1967 about a high school teacher played by the late Sandy Dennis. This gem of a film deserves a dvd release.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes this film. I saw this on TV as a kid and fell in love with it. It's been a long time since I've seen it, I'd love Paramount to help me out by putting this on DVD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I concur. I saw this film recently and was surprised that it really wasn't all that dated. Less so, at least, than TO SIR WITH LOVE. Well-made film, and we need more Robert Mulligan on DVD!

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Count me in as another fan of UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE. Everyone in this movie is perfectly cast. My special favorite: Florence Stanley (who died in October 2003 - R.I.P.), who's hilarious as the guidance counselor.

I hope WB appreciates how good this film is and puts it out on DVD soon.

--Bill

Mairi

Auditioning
Up the Down Staircase is an all-time favorite of mine. I thought it was an exceptional movie-- very realistic, funny, and touching. Sandy Dennis was top-notch and the rest of the cast fit their roles perfectly. I wish it were on DVD!!

(And I love the soundtrack.)

I'm glad others like the film as well.

Mairi :emoji_thumbsup:

Mairi

Auditioning
I must say that I am pleasantly surprised to find so many men who posted saying they liked the movie "Up the Down Staircase." I guess I thought some might be bored by it-- that's probably true, but what's also true is that it does have appeal for certain men who are sensitive and have a great deal of depth!! I guess I was thinking in a sexist way because I assumed most men liked action flicks-- with lots of flash. Mea culpa!!

I miss the days of movies that were well-scripted, well-directed, well acted. To be honest, I haven't seen a movie in many years-- the last one I saw was "Titanic," and even then, I was dragged to it. (Didn't care for it-- bloated, far too long, and too commercial.)

Cheers,

Mairi

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks