Warner-Release UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by larry bender, Mar 16, 2004.

1. larry bender

larry bender Stunt Coordinator

UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE is a wonderful film from director Robert Mulligan ( TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD- SAME TIME NEXT YEAR) from 1967 about a high school teacher played by the late Sandy Dennis. This gem of a film deserves a dvd release.

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes this film. I saw this on TV as a kid and fell in love with it. It's been a long time since I've seen it, I'd love Paramount to help me out by putting this on DVD.

3. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I concur. I saw this film recently and was surprised that it really wasn't all that dated. Less so, at least, than TO SIR WITH LOVE. Well-made film, and we need more Robert Mulligan on DVD!

4. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Yes, "Up the Down Staircase" should be released on DVD. A very good film!

5. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    Count me in as another fan of UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE. Everyone in this movie is perfectly cast. My special favorite: Florence Stanley (who died in October 2003 - R.I.P.), who's hilarious as the guidance counselor.

I hope WB appreciates how good this film is and puts it out on DVD soon.

--Bill

6. Mairi

Mairi Auditioning

Up the Down Staircase is an all-time favorite of mine. I thought it was an exceptional movie-- very realistic, funny, and touching. Sandy Dennis was top-notch and the rest of the cast fit their roles perfectly. I wish it were on DVD!!

(And I love the soundtrack.)

I'm glad others like the film as well.

Mairi [​IMG]

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I remember how much I liked it too. I'd probably buy the DVD.

8. Mairi

Mairi Auditioning

I must say that I am pleasantly surprised to find so many men who posted saying they liked the movie "Up the Down Staircase." I guess I thought some might be bored by it-- that's probably true, but what's also true is that it does have appeal for certain men who are sensitive and have a great deal of depth!! I guess I was thinking in a sexist way because I assumed most men liked action flicks-- with lots of flash. Mea culpa!!

I miss the days of movies that were well-scripted, well-directed, well acted. To be honest, I haven't seen a movie in many years-- the last one I saw was "Titanic," and even then, I was dragged to it. (Didn't care for it-- bloated, far too long, and too commercial.)

Cheers,

Mairi