What's new

Warner: Release: PURPLE RAIN in Original Aspect Ratio (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
The current version is a complete sham. Also, after considering the response from Warner at Tuesday's chat, I don't hold out much hope that we will see an appropriate release anytime soon.
furious.gif

EXORCIST II and PURPLE RAIN Remastered are not under consideration just now.
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Will K

Screenwriter
I don't get the thinking over at this company. Purple Rain is not an unpopular title...and don't tell me the VHS didn't sell. That has to be the silliest excuse ever for withholding a title for DVD.
------------------
My Scary DVD Collection

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I have always loved the film and I have been dying to see it again since I first got a laserdisc player and refused to watch any pan and scan movie again. I hope it will be released properly so that I can add it to my collection.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I'm not too optimistic that Warner cares though. :frowning:
-Dave

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Let it be known to the powers that be at Warner's that this is the one movie that has been released which I will not allow my girlfriend to buy under my "NO PAN & SCAN" rules.

Please release it in it's proper form and stop breaking her heart!

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I would love a widescreen special edition, but the fact that Prince and Warner have a history of unpleasantness tells me nothing will happen. But if there is a crapload of money to be made, I think they would do it.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
PURPLE RAIN was one of the first movies I spent money on to own (since it was one of the first sell-through priced tapes Warner ever released). I would gladly buy an OAR 5.1 issue of the film on DVD, and will strongly shun the current panscan version.

Even if you cannot secure Prince's involvement, why not recruit the supporting players? Let's hear from director Albert Magnoli on how he helped cement a certain Prince mythos for many years. Or Patricia "Apollonia" Kotero on being one of the many protegees in the "Starr" family. This was also a strong return outing for the very respectable character actor Clarence Williams III; he must have great tales.

Or go for something more unique. Why not invite rabid Prince fan Kevin Smith to contribute a commentary or interview with some of the remaining principals? He's subreferenced the film numerous times, and he's even made a fan out of the mercurial Purple Highness. He could help make new DVD buyers appreciate what may seem like an '80's chestnut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks