1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner - Please release DVD of "The Great Race"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arun Vajpey, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey Stunt Coordinator

Dear Warner,
    After the disappointing news of the botched up job by MGM on 'It's a amd mad mad mad World' I request you to show them the way by releasing your own glossy comedy from the Sixties, Blake Edwards' "THE GREAT RACE" in its full, widescreen form on DVD. This is an entertaining, popular film and should do well. And please include loads of extras!!

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

That would make too much sense [​IMG]
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

3. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

"The Great Race" is being re-released by Warner Home Video on VHS July 10th, but not on DVD, strange isn't it?

4. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    RISE and SHINE?
    ...when YOU rise, YOU SHINE!!!
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX! [​IMG]
    I want The Great Race on DVD! Anamorphic widescreen with commentary by living cast and crew members would be great!
    Blake Edwards, Tony Curtis, and Peter Falk?
    ------------------

5. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

The Great Race is perhaps the best of the '60s big, long, widescreen "chase" comedies, funny and lavish, with a great cast. A special-edition DVD, showcasing Edwards' great use of Panavision, could be spectacular -- it deserves a commentary track, outtakes, maybe a music-only track for Mancini's score. However, it's Warners, so while I do think we'll get it on DVD eventually (if only because of the publicity attaching to Jack Lemmon's death), it'll probably be bare-bones. I hope I'm wrong. I'd gladly pay extra to see this movie done right.

6. Nick Eden

Nick Eden Stunt Coordinator

Yes please Warners. The Great Race is perhaps the best in that genre. The LaserDisc version was good (widescreen and Dolby surround), but a 5.1 soundtrack and 16:9 would be great. Audio commentaries would be superb (particularly Blake Edwards).

7. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I, too, would enjoy THE GREAT RACE on DVD. But, wait! Isn't this a catalog title? From the 60's? And doesn't it belong to Warner Brothers? My suggestion: go to eBay and bid on a copy of the widescreen DVD, unless you're a VERY young person and don't mind investing a decade waiting for this ridiculous conglomerate to actually realize their film library has some worth.