Warner, please pick up the ball!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
While they are mostly crap (Flyboys, The Marine - though you really owe it to yourself to sit through The Marine at least once), Blu-Ray seems to get new title announcements just about every day, while HD release news seems to have totally dried up aside from the handful of Universal announcements. Granted a lot of the Blu-Ray discs that have tempted me turn out to be single-layer, featureless, and sure to be double-dipped (I'm looking at you, Rocky), at least they are getting content out.

There are plenty of slots open to release stuff in December, but Warner seems to be failing to act, despite the fact that titles released just today contain inserts promising The Matrix, Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire (which is now available overseas), and The Shawshank Redemption for 2006. While I thoroughly enjoy the entire trilogy, there are many I know who will only buy the first Matrix movie on HD-DVD, as they don't share my love of the sequels. Even releasing a barebones, TrueHD version of the original would do wonders for sales and the future of the format, but if they are holding off on this big gun in the war so that all three Matrix films can be released simultaneously, they are making a huge mistake. Granted, I realize it would also end up on Blu-Ray, but I have a feeling it would end up one of those titles that was mysteriously exclusive to HD for while, ala Batman Begins.

At this point, the Christmas season belongs to Fox and there aggressive release schedule for Blu, and the HD-DVD backers have no one to blame but themselves. The Matrix alone could have staved off the appeal of X3, Kingdom of Heaven, etc, especially at Fox's insulting prices, but the software skirmish of Holidays '06 seems to be leaning towards Blu at this point. If Warner doesn't rebound with a sizable amount of Q1 announcements, then I'm gonna start getting concerned. Perception is a big part of winning this war, and the Blu shelves are starting to fill while the HD shelves are hitting a lull.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Nick, most of the recently announced Blu-ray releases were box office duds. Just look at what is available on HD DVD and you can't complain. The mix of classic and new titles has been terrific. Just because they haven't been announced yet doesn't mean they aren't planned. It will be a terrific first quarter for HD DVD. New title announcements generally slow down around the holidays lest they get lost in the shuffle. The rumored titles are enough to empty my bank account as it is.... So far HD DVD boasts quality and quantity of releases. Just a couple of stinkers so far....

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I was coming into this thread thinking the original post would about the exact opposite!

Warner still hasn't announced Forbidden Planet, V for Vendetta, or Batman Begins on BD and my PS3 is starving for some of this action.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
And the Harry Potter is available for import.....

I have it.... and the upside to the HD DVD is that it is not region specific....

So, as long as A+ titles are getting a release somewhere in the world, happy I am with HD DVD....

I have imported Equilibrium (Japan) / Reign Of Fire (Japan) / Harry Potter (UK) / Total Recall (France) with XXX (Japan) and The Fog (France) on order....

So, with all this available, I can't complain......

If the transfer were better for First Blood (France), I would have grabbed that.

Also, as the above list shows, just because a studio is specific to a certain format, doesn't mean that we HD DVD owners won't get a chance to own some of the Blu-Ray exclusive discs.

Dugger

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Chris, I have just ordered Harry Poter from Amazon UK. This is my first venture into ordering out of region disks. Any advice as to another good on-line sources for ordering the HD disks from?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
How different are these HD-DVD releases from a typical North American release? Are the menus for say the French or Japanese versions all in their countries native language? And does the PAL vs NTSC issue play into any of this at all?

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
There is no PAL/NTSC issue with HD. My UK-import Exorcism of Emily Rose Blu-ray plays fine in my U.S. player.

Rolando

Screenwriter

AH! Don't forget that HD is a new video format. HD it is a format in the same sense as NTSC or PAL or SECAM. So these HD-DVDs are all in HD format meaning no conversion necessary since it is already in the format you want to watchit in... HD

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Back on topic:
Your taking to task, HD Disc BIGGEST supporter, "for dropping the ball"?
By the end of the month, WB will have like 50 titles on HD DVD!
Shouldn't your thread title be; Everyone, butt WB, "pick up the ball"?

If your unhappy with the amount of BD titles to HD DVD titles that is a different story and the reason studio support for BD was/is so highly touted.
You are aware BD has more studio support, are you not?

Whatever the case, its NOT WB's fault!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

Exactly......

Let's also not forget that Warner is the only studio to have the smarts to
keep the bulk of its releases built around titles that appeal to early adopters, but as well, they chose to issue a few essential classics that appeal to all audiences. How lucky are we to have films like THE SEARCHERS, FORBIDDEN PLANET or CASABLANCA already available in Hi Def, while the other studios are (for the most part) turning out title lists that aren't particularly thrilling.
Exceptions being REDS from Paramount, and ANIMAL HOUSE & SPARTACUS from Uni.

Warner has done a formidable job in a very difficult time. They deserve our support and thanks.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I didn't really want the original post to come off as a knock to WB, as their work thus far on HD-DVD has indeed been awesome. I do feel however that with the release of a film like The Matrix, they could tip the scales in HD-DVDs favor considerably, despite the studio support Blu has been receiving. We're at an early enough point in the war where one significant release can make a big difference (as I think X3 has for Blu, as I have seen the X3 Blu-Ray in the games sections of Wal-Marts that don't even carry HD-DVDs or Blu discs otherwise), and since Warner has made themselves the defacto defenders of the format with exclusive releases, I really feel like we on the HD side needed one exclusive (if only temporarily) holiday blockbuster release.

I hope that clarifies things a little....

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough!

We're all "disappointed" are favorite movie, or ALL movies for that matter, is/are not on HD Disc yet! ;-)

And, if 'your' a "fanboy" its even worse, cause you want to WIN!!!

Just WB been "good" to everyone, sure they could be better, butt when you consider a "HOT" HD Disc title is selling like 15,000 copies, they (WB) have been (to quote "you" Nick) "awesome"!

Peace, Love, & HiDef!

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Let's not forget Universal....

As they are exclusive.... How about Jurassic Park..... Back to the Future.... E.T.... JAWS......

Dugger

Manus

Second Unit
" Let's not forget Universal "

Now if it had been 'Universal ,please pick up the ball, that would have made perfect sense. For an HD-Dvd exclusive studio , why dont they have DolbyTrue on most rather than a few titles ? Why no extras or extended cut(s) eg. Waterworld or Kong ?

Without Warner's support, I fear this format would be in intensive care

~M~

john a hunter

Screenwriter
So , Manus, if HD DVD would have been in intensive care without Warner's support, where do you think Blu ray would have been?
I don't think it could have even got to the hospital.

Manus

Second Unit
" I don't think it (Bluray) could have even got to the hospital "

Agreed. Totally. It just wouldn't have bothered me so much

~M~

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els