What's new

Warner: Please consider Special Editions of Casablanca and The Searchers (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
These 2 highly regarded classics both hit DVD in the earlier days of the format. The presentations could be dramatically improved upon if you employed your current quality standards.

Both deserve Special Edition treatment.

Since you are revisting some of your earlier titles as Special Editions, I thought I'd throw these suggestions out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree to a certain degree about "The Searchers", but what's wrong with the current dvd presentation of "Casablanca"?????????????

Crawdaddy

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
but what's wrong with the current dvd presentation of "Casablanca"?????????????
There is significant print damage visible in a number of places (which likely could be "repaired" digitally). Also, I think the transfer is a little soft.

It's passable, but certainly could be improved upon given today's technology.

Take a look at Warner's recent release of The Bad and the Beautiful, for example. It's flawless.

Plus there has to be more "extra" material available on Casablanca.

Given all of the above and the film's stature, certainly a 2 disc SE is warranted.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To me it's more than passable, furthermore, I rather Warner concentrate on releasing more of their great catelogue of films to dvd than to revisit "Casablanca" again at this time.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unlike, "Citizen Kane" which you listed as one of the most disappointed dvds of 2001.;) Yeah, I know about the rain scene, but that snafu doesn't change my mind about the great job Warner did overall with the release.
Crawdaddy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I know it's an early DVD, but the video and audio are flawless. I did see some print damage, but it's part of the stock footage from what I saw. Criterion Collection quality, IMO.

How is the quality on The Searchers, though?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I know it's an early DVD, but the video and audio are flawless. I did see some print damage, but it's part of the stock footage from what I saw.
No, it's not.

I think it's time you had another look at the DVD. You are remembering it MUCH better than it actually is.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Rain. Casablanca is an American Institution and next year it turns 60. It can be improved in several spots....including at least one really bad tear in the print.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
:star: I agree with Mr. Robert Crawford. More catalog titles and less re-issues of already decently done DVDs.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Rain...I was incorrect. :b
I now notice a few faint lines in a few places and finally saw the tear you were talking about.
Geez...all this close-inspection reveals too much! :D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Not to worry, Patrick.
I had remembered this as a pretty good disc as well...until I went back for a rewatch recently.
I suppose that's the only downside to DVD getting better--our standards get higher. :)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I think the quality of the transfer on Casablanca is perfectly acceptable. I would rather have them redo other early releases such as A Streetcar Named Desire and The Maltese Falcon which could use the Lowry treatment. I agree with Crawdaddy that Warner should concentrate on getting more of their classics (Bringing Up Baby, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Thin Man, Out of the Past, White Heat, Mildred Pierce, In a Lonely Place, Asphalt Jungle and countless others) out on DVD instead of doing re-releases.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Those of you who feel the need to post in this thread simply to disagree with my request should consider taking another look at the DVDs in question. It appears you may be remembering them as being better than they are.
I was under the impression that the etiquette for this area was simply not to post if you have no interest in the titles being requested.
Perhaps in future when someone requests a specific title on DVD, I should make a point of posting to express my disinterest.
:)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Searchers and Casablanca are two of our greatest classics. Would I like to see them revisited as special editions? You bet!

I also have to agree that Warner needs to get on the ball and release some of the other classics in their vaults. I'm still waiting for DVD releases of Bringing Up Baby, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, White Heat, and The Asphalt Jungle, to name just a few.

If I had a choice, I'd rather have those unreleased films issued first. Warner could then revisit The Searchers and Casablanca with cleaned-up prints and more extras (I imagine Roger Ebert would jump at the chance to do commentaries).

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Warner's list of yet to be released classics is nearly endless and I wish they would speed up their release schedule. At the current rate I will be dead and buried before I see some of my most wanted movies on DVD :frowning:. I can't believe that all the movies in their catalogue will get an extensive and time consuming "Citizen Kane like" restoration before they will be released on DVD so I would be perfectly happy with a somewhat lesser quality if that meant more classic releases.
That being said I do second Rain's request for a speedy release of a new and improved special edition of my number 1 movie of all time: The Searchers :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks