What's new

Warner now ruining Bakshi LOTR (1 Viewer)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I've added an animated GIF showing a widescreen and a cropped image from LOTR, plus a link to the petition, on my web page.
Anyone who would like to use the GIF is welcome to take it from my site at:
http://www.atombrain.com
Jan Strnad
author of Risen and
"The AtomBrain Guide to Letterboxing"

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Great GIF, Jan. Really demonstrates how stupid a move this is (and reminds me of how gorgeous some of the work in this movie is).
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
What really gets me is that LOTR is 1.85:1, very little black bars. This is just plain idiocy.
------------------

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
One of my favorite animated movies, I saw this at the cinema when it first came out, and countless times on tape, terrible news if it gets a cropped DVD release, lets have the OAR please.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You know, just as an observation:
Why is it that everyone seems to get in the biggest stink about blasphemous messes of film that throw their source material out the window or in a blender? LOTR is even WORSE than Willy Wonka in every aspect
But, we cannot have ANYONE whimsically deciding that P&S is OK, so I'll sign
Jeff Kleist

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
This is NOT a new announcement; it was stated that LotR would be P&S way before Wonka was. Thankfully, Wonka has really raised an awareness, and hopefully that will help in getting LotR the respect it deserves (as well as all films).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
So...Lord of the Rings is hard-matted?
Where the heck did you get a screen shot of LotR DVD? I though it's not to be released for a while...
That picture looks too good to be from a laserdisc or VHS.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Kami

Screenwriter
#1200. What the hell is this nonsense?! Warner is now officially the worst, most god-awful excuse for a studio out there. Pathetic.
icon13.gif
icon13.gif

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just a heads-up to everyone reading this thread, that WB hs capitulated on Wonka and will release a separate Widescreen-only edition of the 30th Anniversary version (same in all other respects as the FS version) on Nov. 13th.
We've been heard by WB and we can make a difference! So sign those petitions and let them know you want this one done right, too! Cheers,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)
WidescreenSupport.jpg

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I sure hope Warner learns its lesson from this recent triple pan & scam debacle, so that future petitions aren't necessary.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I just compared Jan Strnad's widescreen aspect of his gif with my VHS copy of LOTR and noticed that the VHS has much more on the top that the widescreen gif and had all of the width and the bottom is the same. Jan did you make this gif to illustrate a point or is it an actual representation of the widescreen version? If it is then this would indicate it is an open matte version which to me would make it much more acceptable as many Disney animated titles are open matte.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Oh yeah and also the gif is also missing the outline of the door which appears in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks