WARNER: no more snapper cases!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremiah W, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Jeremiah W

Jeremiah W Stunt Coordinator

start using Keep cases for the DVD's

2. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Jeremiah,

This has been discussed over and over to the point where people either give in or find an alternate way to handle the situation. All you are doing is beating a dead horse because Warner has a firm stand and reason for using the snapper case. Warner has holdings in the company that manufactures the cases and a contract.

One of the most efficient ways to handle the problem if you just simply can't live with snappers, is to disassemble the tray, scan the cover, do a little tweaking in a graphics program, and print it off on good laser paper with a color laser printer. Then purchase empty Alpha cases and slip your new artwork behind the plastic.

It will be years before Warner changes their storage cases.

3. Stephen B

Stephen B Stunt Coordinator

if thats the case, then why do all warners new releases in australia have the normal cases, even all original ones ( batman, mars attacks etc ) have been re-released with normal cases???????

4. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

AOL-Time Warner U.S. owns a portion of the company(Ivy Hill) that makes the snapper cases.

AOL-Time Warner contractually binds Warner Home Video to the snapper casings. Warner Home Video had to make a plea to use the special cases for Citizen Kane and Doctor Zhivago. Previously, WHV was forced to use a snapper for all releases which resulted in the Oliver Stone fiasco.

New Line Home Entertainment and HBO Home Video are under Warner Home Video. Since these companies are under the Warner Home Video layer, Warner Home Video gives them a little more leeway than AOL-Time Warner. Which is why New Line Cinema can use a keepcase and HBO Home Video uses the special cases for Sex & The City and The Sopranos.

Warner Home Video International do not answer to AOL-Time Warner U.S. They answer to AOL-Time Warner International who does not have a stake in Ivy Hill. Which is why Australian WHV releases are in keepcases.

And yes, I know this area is for feedback & suggestions only.

5. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Thanks rutger_s. Your reply should answer everyone's question concerning the issue. Just wonder when that contract will expire [​IMG]

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Snapper cases cost less to make, hence the reason why WB uses them.

WB should continue using snappers for single-disc releases and the gatefold cases for 2-disc sets. (and of course, custom multi-disc cases for stuff like TV shows)

I prefer paying for the disc, not what it is delivered in. Besides...snappers have much better hubs than keep cases.

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Several members have argued on earlier occasions that they actually love the Snapper. I happen to be one of them.

So speak for yourself.

Furthermore, as Steven says, we've had this discussion over and over and over again before. No new points of view can be expected.

Cees

8. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum, Jeremiah. For what it's worth, I agree with your position. As you can see, however, you may be beating your head against a wall around here.

9. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    Cees is right. Call me crazy, but I do like the Snapper cases!

10. Dennis H

Dennis H Auditioning

To each his own I suppose. However, at the risk of beating a dead horse, I still don't like the snapper cases. They will not hold up over time and the cardboard WILL wear out. I realize there are a few very vocal supporters of the snapper but the fact remains the overwhelming majority of releases now come in plastic cases.
    Most importantly, what do we do when the little plastic hub breaks on a snapper. I have never seen replacement snappers available for sale. I can purchase inexpensive replacement Alpha-type cases in any number of places.
    Just my two cents...[​IMG]

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I want all my DVDs to come in a smaller laserdisc sleeve, with a gatefold jacket and everything!

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes, this is a dead horse, but I recently discovered that anumber of my snappers are deteriorating due to the (not overly high) moisture content in my house, which is warping all the cardboard covers. I am not buying anything in snappers anymore.

13. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Dennis,

The plastic part of the snapper is replaceable. You can get them from Warner. If you need the email address of the lady who exchanges them I will get it for you. It's free except for the postage of the broken ones that you send her and she usually sends more back than you sent.

Everyone has an opinion. I personally dispise snappers. Luckly I have been able to reproduce snapper art work and make them into inserts for keepcases. And just for the record I have had 4 broken hubs on snappers, none on any type of keepcase. Lose disc's seem to be about even for both types.

Why don't I like them? Cardboard wears out, they are not the same size as keepcase, they look cheap, they hang together when you want to remove one, or try to squeeze one in on a shelf. I have plenty of reasons not to like them and for the life of me I can not think of one thing I do like about them.

14. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I also like the snapper cases. I am more interested in whats inside the case.

15. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Keepcase vs Snapper: I prefer keepcase.
    However, it's only packaging, shouldn't we care more about the content? Next thing you know, somebody will complain that the silkscreen print on the DVD is not realistic enough.
    (I'm bad [​IMG] )
    But seriously, although I prefer Keepcase, I truly care more about the disc.

16. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Every time I see someone say they don't care about the package but what's inside I think they are talking about some ugly fat chick [​IMG] (no offense meant to any ugly fat chicks).
    But that's not what we are talking about is it? We are talking about something we collect. Like it or not we have to store them nicely. Both kinds have nice artwork but only one type holds up to repeated usage.
    Go get one of the old MGM snapper Bond's and one of the newer keepcase one. Aw the hell with it, just grap any snapper and any keepcase. Do your own Consumer Reports study. Open and close both cases the same amount of time. Remove and insert the discs on their spindles. Slide them on and off a shelf from between other cases (of both types). Lay them down on a table and pick them up repeatedly. Oh and don't forget to have someone accidentally use one as a coaster (like it or not no matter how careful you are, something like that is going to happen).
    Now which one is going to look like a piece of crap and which one might have the outside clear plastic scratched enough where you can remove the original artwork and replace it in a new case making it look good as new?

17. Bill J

Bill J Producer

18. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

The "Oliver Stone fiasco" happened when the box sets came out the 2-disc movies (ie JFK, Any Given Sunday, etc.) in order to fit into the snappers, the second disc was shoved into the cover inside a sleeve.

-Chad

19. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

20. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons