What's new

Warner needs to address giving The Dirty Dozen an anamorphic DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner just released "The Dirty Dozen" again with the non-anamorphic presentation in a keep case replacing the snapper case. However, I feel one of the best War/Action films made during the 1960s, needs to be presented on DVD with an anamorphic transfer. We've been seeing the studios release new dvds of films previously released on dvd with improve extras and PQ so why not "The Dirty Dozen"?

Crawdaddy

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Amen. Kind of odd that it hasn't happened, considering how popular this movie is.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

That is a great idea and I'm hoping that Warner is thinking the same thing. On TCM, they constantly play a snippet of Clint Walker talking about Charles Bronson over the background of a scene taken from The Dirty Dozen. It would be nice to interview the surviving members of that terrific cast like Ernest Borgnine, Clint Walker, Jim Brown and Donald Sutherland.

The Dirty Dozen Cast
  • Lee Marvin
  • Charles Bronson
  • Robert Ryan
  • Ernest Borgnine
  • Jim Brown
  • John Cassavetes
  • Telly Savalas
  • George Kennedy
  • Clint Walker
  • Donald Sutherland
  • Richard Jaeckel
  • Ralph Meeker
It doesn't get much better with that type of cast!

Crawdaddy

RickB

Grip
Yes, I heartedly agree. I added this title to my 'pick-up' list just awhile ago, as I have been adding some older movies in the "war" and "western" genres. I have hestitated to buy it due to the fact that it is not anamorphic. It has a low price, but I just find it hard to buy anything not anamorphic anymore. I'd jump on a re-release in a heartbeat.

StevenFC

Second Unit
I will be majorly, MAJORLY stunned if Warner doesn't release this someday as an SE. The fact that it's not now anamorphic leaves me to believe that it needs some restoration. There's no way in hell that they would leave it as is.

No way would Feltenstein sign off on a non-anamorphic release without something better in the pipeline. Not on something as popular as "The Dirty Dozen".

seanJ

Agent
A few months ago I picked up "The Dirty Dozen" reg 2 as part of a fortnightly "War Movie Classics" series with a (quite interesting) magazine about the making of the film. Oddly the packaging stated the dvd was presented in 2:35 widescreen. Knowing the original aspect ratio was @1:85 I assumed this was a misprint....sure enough on inspection the ratio was much wider...not quite 2:35 but about 2:2:1 and clearly too tight, the top border regularly lopping half of Lee Marvins head off.
I believe the movie has recently been issued again as part of yet another War movie collection, so(region 2)buyers beware.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I actually skipped getting the "Battleground Europe" collection because the repacked titles didn't appear to be improved. I bought "The Big Red One SE" on it's own (a fantastic set, by the way!), as it was the main attraction to getting the box set for me. Usually Warner box sets are blind buys for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks