Warner...Movies on DVD must be in OAR

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Crosthwait, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

Warner, Yes there is a GREAT demand for 1.85 Flat comedies in widescreen...actually all of your movies MUST be released in their proper OAR. Instead of having consensus among studios about educating the customer on OAR. Be a LEADER, release your DVDs with a educational promo reel about OAR. Explain to the average consumer the difference about widescreen and pan and scan. Even send information to the retailers. My family only buys DVDs with the proper OAR. Please release all your DVDs with the proper OAR. Thanks
    ------------------
    Bill
    My DVD Collection
    [email protected]
    My DVD, Home Theater page

2. Jim Benard

Jim Benard Stunt Coordinator

A comment: Why can't we go back to having a single disc with no artwork so both P&S and widescreen? a good compromise IMHO, there is no reason to track sales figures between both formats, what's the point? It's not like your competing against another studio releasing the same movie. Cost? If you've mastered the title in both formats just forgo the artwork and give us 1 disc with two sides.
    This would make everyone happy.
    At some point more and more people will have 16x9 TVs and this won't be an issue anymore. Then we can go back to the artwork on a single side. I perfer the Artwork to the flipper also but we have to settle on a compromise until everyone gets past this.
    [Edited last by Jim Benard on October 17, 2001 at 09:16 PM]

3. Dan_K

Dan_K Extra

I second the compromise of the dual format flippers. This will keep everybody happy. If they want to do "special editions" then add a second disc.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Believe me, I think Warner got the point.
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

5. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

The studios are always sighting cost a reasoning behind things...maybe I am wrong, but I have always thought that it would be so much more costly to have to go and do a pan and scan release. Afterall, someone (more than likely this day in time a computer) would have to sit there and frame by frame 're-capture' the shots and get them. Simply slap the widescreen version and you don't have to go through this process.
    What I feel following the chat last night is that Warner is really going after the Beverley Hillbilly populas and not the people that appreciate films for the art of it. Asking a question like if widescreen mattered on comedies is like asking if on a cd you want decent sound. The studio, after the Willy Wonka uproar, should know and realize how important OAR is to the consumer that has brought DVD to where it is today.
    (What they brought up was my biggest fear of the DVD format made true...what would happen to the format when Joe Public caught on...)

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I personally like the artwork on the disc and I hate flippers. I like the 2-disc sets.
    Release the movies in the OAR only with an educational bit on the greatness of widescreen. if people want them then they'll buy them

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer